Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Keystone denying claim (of course)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Keystone denying claim (of course)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About 2 weeks ago I went out to give our 2018 Keystone 325BH it's spring cleaning. First thing I noticed was spider cracks on the side of the front cap. These were not there even 1 month ago and the unit has been winterized and not used for over 3 months. After a google search told me that this is not super uncommon on Keystone products I immediately took pictures and sent to my dealer who is only open for service right now and only a few days per week.

So, I just got an email from the service department, declined! Imagine that!! They claim it's damage and not a defect. I can tell you with 1000% certainty there has been no damage or impact to the trailer. So right now I am completely pissed off and fighting with Keystone in a time when it's difficult to get ahold of anyone. The initial reply was I should submit to insurance. No way I am doing that for something that was NOT DAMAGED!

Any thoughts on how this could be repaired? Do I really need a body shop or is this a task I could consider if Keystone continues to decline it, in which case I will be sure to bad mouth them as often as possible on this and other forums?

Thanks!

Lwiddis

Owens River Road, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/20 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your 2018 TT is still under warranty?
You have called Keystone and ask to whom you can appeal the decision given the dealer?
You have made a polite written request for repair to the Keystone designated person with a dispassionate description of the cracks with pictures?

IMO your phone calls are wasted time.

* This post was edited 04/20/20 12:55pm by Lwiddis *

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/20 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those spider cracks are likely in the Gel Coat. You can do a couple of things. Just keep a good coat of wax on the cap and don't worry about it (which is what most people do) or hire an auto body paint guy to repair it. That will be costly if the cap has graphics that will need to be removed and replaced with new graphics when the new gel Coat has been applied. Although it will ease your mind that your cap looks perfect again, it's not going to change your campers value enough to make it worth doing in my opinion. I had the same issue on my 5th wheel but it was only a few months old so I demanded a warranty repair. 8 months later and a few more gray hairs and the work was done. They didn't remove the graphics either. Just taped it off and sprayed it. Terrible job but I wasn't going to wait another 8 months to get the job done right.

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.
Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

they,ve already been bad mouth alot , people look up reviews of companies before they buy. your stuck .either fix it yourself,, or leave as a reminder to never buy K,S again. make sure you show it to all your camp buddies.

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pics needed so we can see what you are talking about.

Deal direct with Keystone and bypass the dealer for getting warranty approval. The dealer may not have even contacted Keystone.

Bob

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would be nice if the manufacturer would stand behind their products although being a 2018 rig you are probably out of warranty anyway. Post a pic and maybe someone can describe how they were able to fix or at least make it less noticeable, try to work with Keystone directly as dealers usually don't try as hard when it comes to repairs covered by the manufacturer.

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here we go... This is the side of the front cap. So the section that wraps around the door side and becomes the wall
[image]

* This post was edited 04/20/20 03:53pm by kfp673 *

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm,that is actually quite noticeable.
Even in direct sunlight I'd consider that premature.

Apply some 303 until a resolution is reached.

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it hollow behind the cracks ? If so , it could have been caused by flexing while underway . Should be easy to cure at a auto body shop, good luck !

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/20 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do a search on “fixing spider cracks in gel coal”

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Keystone denying claim (of course)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.