Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Slider hitch - How to Question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Slider hitch - How to Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Crabbypatty

Long Island, New York

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/20 04:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After lots of debate here on rv net, I went with a Pullrite auto slide as we have a short bed. My decision even though it was 8 beans more than manual was the first time i forget and put out the rear window would be way worse then paying more. 1 season on the Pullrite and it works perfectly though you need to be within 10 degrees of center or it wont uncouple. The trick is to pull the head pins and raise the fiver.

Pullrite suggests wd40 on the rails and I do that every time. Occasionally when backing up the hitch does make a grinding noise when on an angle.

John, Lisa & Tara">">">
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/20 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My sliding hitch was hard to slide when I bought it. The first time I tried to use the slide I had to dump the clutch ...wow finally I nailed it pretty good to get it to work. It slammed back so hard the glove box dropped open (new Dodge/Cummins/NV5600).
I disassembled the jaws and slider portion....cleaned everything that moved. I used red grease on all the jaw parts/pins/bushings/etc.
Cleaned all the slider rollers/pins/tubes and first used white spray grease but all that did was attraction dirt/wood debris/sand/etc. I found a greaseless spray worked best for my situation.
The hitch is a '97 model 16k Reese square tube slider. Now all I do is flip the handle and its slides without using the trailers brakes or blocks. The hitch still works better than new.

I would R&R the hitch why its not working as advertised....some thing doesn't SOUND right.

On edit: PullRite Superglide has used different lubrication recommendations over the years. I would go to their website and find what type of lube they recommend for your year model hitch tubes.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

cpaulsen

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/20 03:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not one problem with my Superglide in 3 years. I make sure it is clean and use WD-40 like they recommend.........slides so easy and hooks up and unhooks perfectly!

cpaulsen

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/20 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't see that it would anything to lube it.
B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

humblerb

houston

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/20 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Per B&W

To slide hitch back

1. While the trailer is coupled, set the trailer brakes and/or chock the trailer wheels.
2. Pull the handle towards the rear of the truck to move it to the unlocked position.
3. Pull the truck forward slowly until the handle falls into the locked position.
4. Release the trailer brakes, un-chock the trailer and

To return hitch to towing position

1. Once the trailer is satisfactorily positioned, set the trailer brakes and/or chock the trailer wheels.
2. Pull the handle towards the rear of the truck to move it to the unlocked position.
3. Move the truck slowly in reverse until the handle falls and is in the locked position.
4. Release the trailer brakes and/or un-chock the trailer.

B&W clearly states "Note: No lubrication of the sliding mechanism is necessary."

I might send them a note and update how to return to towing position.
With the trailer unhitched, climb in the bed of your truck.
Pull the handle towards the rear of the truck to move it to the unlocked position.
Push the hitch toward the front of the truck with your hands until the handle falls and is in the locked position.
LOL

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/20 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

humblerb wrote:

After several years of bumper pull, we bought a fifth wheel about a year and a half ago.
I have learned how to tow and back a 5th.
I have a short bed truck and up until about 2 months ago, I had no problems.
Then, returning from a trip and backing into my driveway, I turned too sharp and busted out the back window.
Obviously, I was too dumb (or stubborn) to use the slider function that I had paid extra for.
I now use the slider regardless whether it looks like I need it or not.
My question is with regard to sliding the hitch toward the back before backing in to the camp site or driveway.
I leave the trailer hooked and resting on the hitch.
Release the lever, squeeze the trailer brakes and pull my truck forward.
Everything I can find on-line basically shows that this is how to do this.
Apparently BW customer service must be closed due to COVID-19, as I've called them several times and get a recording to try them later.
Question:
When I pull my truck forward to slide the hitch back, it really makes a horrible screeching noise.
I have read that the rails should NOT be lubricated.
The videos I have seen show doing it exactly as I have outlined.
You are not supposed to drop the supports and take weight off the hitch before you slide it, are you?
That seems like a good opportunity to possibly screw up the supports.
Am I doing this correct?

Never been crazy about sliding the hitch back on mine on the rare occasion I do it. I just take the time now , and unhook ,slide the hitch back, and reconnect.

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/20 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP. Were you on level ground and the trailer directly behind the truck.

You should be backing and pulling forward in a straight line.

I have an 18K Reese Elite slider and have never had any problems sliding my hitch.

humblerb

houston

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/20 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update. Talked to B&W earlier this week. They advised that lithium can be used to lube.
Also, there are 8 connectors(?) On the slider that are tightened/loosened with an Allen Wrench. Can loosen these NO MORE THAN a quarter turn.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/20 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

humblerb wrote:

Update. Talked to B&W earlier this week. They advised that lithium can be used to lube.
Also, there are 8 connectors(?) On the slider that are tightened/loosened with an Allen Wrench. Can loosen these NO MORE THAN a quarter turn.

Wow, heck of way to get a slider working. I know its a hassle, and know many that have the same issue with getting a fifth wheel slider to slide back while connected. My Reese was always an adventure at times, and did not care for the way it banged when slid back.

The only time I ever used it was backing into my RV pad beside my house its a tight fit. I got to where I just pulled up front of the house , unhitched the fifth wheel ,slid the hitch back, hitched back up ,and backed in.

I suppose loosening a bunch of connectors ,and greasing it up might help, good luck .

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/20 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always slide my B&W manual slider back at check in and back forward at the park exit. I sprayed silicone spray on the slide rods and rollers. Chris

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Slider hitch - How to Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.