cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dicor vs. Eternabond

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004 Sprinter van so a painted metal roof rather than a membrane. Sprinters are notorious for rusting roof seams. I have removed the old tape, wire brushed the loose rust, applied a little body filler, primed and painted. I suspect these seams will tend to open up again and subsequently rust. I have a roll of Eternabond I was planning to apply but wonder if Dicor would be better. The self-leveling Dicor would be preferable but the roof on the Sprinters wraps down vertically at the sides to terminate in a rain gutter of sorts so might have to use the stiffer version. Is there any "real world experience" to give me guidance on this issue? Is there a way to smooth out the stiffer Dicor?
Could the stiffer Dicor be used on the vertical surfaces and self-leveling on the horizontal surfaces? Can you defined the boundaries of the self-leveling with tape and pull it up before the Dicor dries completely?
Currently Between RVs
8 REPLIES 8

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
The tape is amazing, but if you can use the Dicor that is better because it is much much easier to clean up if you ever have to remove it. The tape can leak if you overlap the tape, it will not fill in that tiny airspace, so be careful there, use Dicor to fill in that overlap gap.

The tape comes off easy with a heat gun, but there will always be residue, and it is just easier to remove residue with a wire brush drill attachment, but then u have to paint all over again.

Dicor comes off easy.

When I have used the tape it was for securing down a solar panel, or for patching rotted out holes in an aluminum roof. I never use it for sealing vents or openings where Dicor Lap sealant is an option. It comes in self-leveling or non-run versions and in colors. $9-10 per tube.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I would use baking soda or TSP as a neutralizer if I used an acid to take the rust off. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Don't use Dicor for vertical seams. Use EternaCaulk. I use it on seams, and to seal the edges of EternaBond tape. Five years +
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Dicor has been puninshing RVers for many years. If it was quality, you wouldn't need to check it for crack every 6 months. You wouldn't tolerate Dicor's lack of quality on your sticks & bricks.
Check the Sikafles site for a quality product that matches your needs. As an example, Sikaflex 715 is for EPDM RV roofs.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer to use Dicor self leveling even on vertical seams because it is far more pliable and crack resistant to flex and vibration, and for a smooth factory like seam I chase it with paint thinner (a single swipe with three wetted fingers for best results)...

On the roof I put down a bead of dicor then cover over with eternabond - should by far outlast me - lol

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I use both Dicor and Eternabond depending on the need. I think Eternabond would provide a better bond to a metal roof.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to mention that I treated the rust with Ospho.
Currently Between RVs

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The very first thing to do is STOP the rust now. Citric acid or RustBullet.