cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

COVID and Cats - new info

dturm
We've gotten emails from USDA, CDC, APHIS and Indiana Veterinary Association about 2 new cases of COVID in cats from New York.

USDA APHIS Bulletin

To summarize:
Washington, D.C. April 22, 2020 โ€“ The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the United States Department of Agricultureโ€™s (USDA) National Veterinary Services Laboratories (NVSL) today announced the first confirmed cases of SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) infection in two pet cats. These are the first pets in the United States to test positive for SARS-CoV-2.

Public health officials are still learning about SARS-CoV-2, but there is no evidence that pets play a role in spreading the virus in the United States. Therefore, there is no justification in taking measures against companion animals that may compromise their welfare. Further studies are needed to understand if and how different animals, including pets, could be affected.

This information is new and confirms reports from Europe we've talked about previously.

The information below contains current recommendations related to animals.

Until we know more, CDC recommends the following:
Do not let pets interact with people or other animals outside the household.
Keep cats indoors when possible to prevent them from interacting with other animals or people.
Walk dogs on a leash, maintaining at least 6 feet from other people and animals.
Avoid dog parks or public places where a large number of people and dogs gather.

If you are sick with COVID-19 (either suspected or confirmed by a test), restrict contact with your pets and other animals, just like you would around other people.
When possible, have another member of your household care for your pets while you are sick.
Avoid contact with your pet, including petting, snuggling, being kissed or licked, and sharing food or bedding.
If you must care for your pet or be around animals while you are sick, wear a cloth face covering and wash your hands before and after you interact with them.

Dr. Doug
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV
9 REPLIES 9

Admin
Apparently there are now 8 of the big cats at the Bronx Zoo that are positive for the virus.
Admin
RV.net

dturm
We still don't have complete reliable information on this virus, but the initial genome analysis indicates that it is very similar to a coronavirus normally found in bats, not identical. It was originally thought that this virus mutated and passed through pangolins in the mutation/spread process, then became infective to humans.

My meaning was that with further mutations the virus could become a more contagious form easily passed between animals (domestic pets) and humans.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
trailertraveler wrote:
A study of the virus indicated that cats and ferrets can get Covid-19. Cats apparently shed the virus as a cat in another cage got infected. Dogs got infected. Virus was found in their feces but not in their nasal passages.

The link does not go to the published study (which was not peer reviewed, many on Covid-19 are not peer reviewed since this process takes time) but to a summary of the study. This link takes you to a review by experts in the field of the published study.
expert reaction to a study looking at susceptibility of pets to the COVID-19 virus (SARS-CoV-2)
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
trailertraveler wrote:
Dogs got infected. Virus was found in their feces but not in their nasal passages.
Positive tests were obtained from nasal passage samples.

We should be very specific here. Most testing has been rt-PCR which identifies the presence of the RNA from the virus. This test does not assess for live virus; the virus is assumed to be alive. This same test is used to assess if the virus was present on surfaces; such as the report of surface contamination in cruse ships days to a week after the passengers were gone. Serological testing (looking for the body producing antibodies against the virus) and culturing (taking a sample and seeing if the virus can be grown from the sample in the lab) are the only ways to be 100% certain there was/is an infection due to this virus.

We must keep in mind the details of what these tests tell us when we are interpreting the results from these tests.

I think the full story on if pets can be infected (positive serological tests) is still being uncovered. I think we can say that the likelihood of them being infected is low but not zero.

Serological survey of SARS-CoV-2 for experimental, domestic, companion and wild animals excludes intermediate hosts of 35 different species of animals

First published: 17 April 2020|
https://doi.org/10.1111/tbed.13577

Abstract

The pandemic SARS-CoV-2 has been reported in 123 countries with more than 5000 patients died from it. However, the original and intermediate hosts of the virus remain unknown. In this study, 1914 serum samples from 35 animal species were used for detection SARS-CoV-2 specific antibodies using double antigen sandwich ELISA after validating its specificity and sensitivity. The results showed that no SARS-CoV-2 specific antibodies were detected in above samples which excluded the possibility of 35 animal species as intermediate host for SARS-CoV-2. More importantly, companion animals including pet dogs (including one dog the SARS-CoV-2 patient kept and two dogs which had close contact with it) and cats, street dogs and cats also showed serological negative to SARS-CoV-2, which relieved the public concerns for the pets as SARS-CoV-2 carriers.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:
I'm more concerned about possible mutation, changes where animal to human transmission and the potential that could mean.
I think that you have it backwards regarding mutation. The last time I had a taxonomy course, humans were still considered to be in the animal kingdom and were mammals. The information available indicates that a virus naturally occurring in bats got into humans. The virus did not change to a species specific form in humans. Humans can transmit the virus to other humans and apparently domestic cats and large cats as evidenced by the Bronx Zoo cases. A study of the virus indicated that cats and ferrets can get Covid-19. Cats apparently shed the virus as a cat in another cage got infected. Dogs got infected. Virus was found in their feces but not in their nasal passages.

There are a number of viruses and other diseases that are capable of infecting multiple species. Dead end hosts are often species that die so rapidly that there is little chance of spread or do not shed the disease agent in a manner that it is easily acquired by another individual/species.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

dturm
There have been no confirmed cases of animal to human transmission, really not even suspected cases either.

I'm not terribly suprised that this happened in New York if it was going to happen. This is the epicenter of the pandemic world wide. There are huge numbers of cats as pets, all indoors in the city of New York. Close proximity with high incidence makes this all possible.

I'm still not terribly worried about the disease in cats, all reports even in Europe have been mild upper respiratory disease. I'm more concerned about possible mutation, changes where animal to human transmission and the potential that could mean. Not enough to lose sleep over, but definitely needs to be monitored by the veterinary community and public health officials.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee

Admin
But, If I understand all the data TO DATE, no cases where there is a suspected cat to human transmittal.
Doug may be able to confirm that.

Admin and two cats :E
Admin
RV.net

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
TY for posting this report. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
"Avoid contact with your pet, including petting, snuggling, being kissed or licked, and sharing food or bedding."

That would be next to impossible.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman