Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: question about placement of hitch
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> question about placement of hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/20 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doesn't matter where you set it, over the axle or in front. Just don't want to unload the front axle. So what you want to do is start with it over the axle then get it weigh. Front axle weight should be the same or higher than the unladen weight. On my first truck and 5er the dealer installed the hitch with it centered over the axle. There was no difference in front axle weight with or without. I wondered what difference it would make for handling if it was moved forward, so I did. Added 25# to the front axle.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Aka the breeze

Anywhere

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/20 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stickdog wrote:

Doesn't matter where you set it, over the axle or in front. Just don't want to unload the front axle. So what you want to do is start with it over the axle then get it weigh. Front axle weight should be the same or higher than the unladen weight. On my first truck and 5er the dealer installed the hitch with it centered over the axle. There was no difference in front axle weight with or without. I wondered what difference it would make for handling if it was moved forward, so I did. Added 25# to the front axle.

How far did you move it forward to only add 25#

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/20 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

Sounds like he MAY have a B&W going off those numbers??

Mine is set at 1" ahead right now because when installing I was unsure of my clearance of tailgate. Did a dry run this weekend and found I have 6" from end of tailgate ( when down ) to front of fiver. This weekend I plan to spin my B&W mounts around to give me the 3" ahead of axle .. Why ?? Why not ...

OMG I think you should be VERY cautious doing such a radical change!!! Have you considered the massive damage you may cause when your rear top edge of your bed makes contact with the overhang of your 5er???

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

salem

Central Valley, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/20 10:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddus: You are a wise man. Great answer.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/20 03:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Either way will work. With long bed, always felt 2"s ahead of axle center, best for towing, and clearance for tailgate. Being able to back-in to hitch at an angle, with tailgate down, will vary from one fifth wheel to the next. For best towing feel, 3"s ahead likely best. For quicker maneuvering, when backing, 1" ahead may work better. Can you tell/feel the difference, either way??? Maybe

Jerry

eHoefler

ozark mountains

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/20 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine is 4" ahead of axle with the factory pucks and 30K hitch

2019 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1000FTPD of Torgue!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/20 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Either way will work. With long bed, always felt 2"s ahead of axle center, best for towing, and clearance for tailgate. Being able to back-in to hitch at an angle, with tailgate down, will vary from one fifth wheel to the next. For best towing feel, 3"s ahead likely best. For quicker maneuvering, when backing, 1" ahead may work better. Can you tell/feel the difference, either way??? Maybe

Jerry

"Back in the day" the "standard" was to place center of kingpin at 2" ahead of centerline of rear axle. Ya know when ya actually had to measure, drill, fab brackets and bolt in place!!!

I run my Companion FULL forward, the side head supports need to have the straight edge placed towards the Cab.

Proper lubrication with White Lithium Grease prior to placing the head in the side supports.

[image]

* This post was edited 04/23/20 09:31am by Cummins12V98 *

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/20 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aka the breeze wrote:

stickdog wrote:

How far did you move it forward to only add 25#

Back calculating...that's probably around 2" forward. It's a function of the pin weight and distance to the rear axle.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/20 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hers is a simple example of how to determine how much weight you will add to your front axle depending on pin placement VS center of rear axle.

My truck has a 170" wheelbase, if i move my hitch 4" forward that will mean I will transfer .0235% of my 6k pin weight or 141#. This does jive with my loaded and unloaded front axle weights.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/20 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron,

With my WB being 176"... and my pin being 3640#... When I move my mounts, I will only move 86# to the front axle??

I think I would rather leave it and keep the extra clearance between the tailgate down and the fiver ?? Thats 1" ~ VS ~ 3" ahead....

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> question about placement of hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.