cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fantastic Fan motor comparison

DR650
Explorer
Explorer
My RV has two Fantastic Fans, one installed in the rear bath, one over the bed up front. The FF in the bath has the older (and IMO better) tall motor, the other had the flat gold motor. The flat motor FF has been noisy since new (installed in 2015).

I recently attempted to remove the fan blade on the new unit for cleaning but the plastic was brittle and it broke. Rather than just replace the fan blade, I contacted Dometic via their website to find out if an improved motor was available. Dometic responded quickly and stated that the replacement motor would be the same as the motor in my 2015 FF.

I decided to take a chance and order a new motor/fan assembly with the hopes that the new one would be quieter (I ordered it from Amazon, less expensive and free shipping).

The motor on the new motor/fan assembly is different from my original flat gold motor. The motor is black instead of gold, the housing is different, as is the location where the wiring exits the housing. There is a tag on the gold motor that has โ€˜Atwoodโ€™ and part # โ€˜8017A-03โ€™. The new black motor has โ€˜Dometicโ€™ and part # โ€˜8017-09 Rev. Bโ€™ printed on it.

The installation was very easy, just two wires and four screws.

The new black motor is much quieter, but not as quiet as my older FF with the tall motor, but very close. The new black flat motor has a slightly harsher sound to it.

Iโ€™ve read several discussions on the forums about the FF tall black motor vs. the gold flat motor. Hopefully this post will help someone if theyโ€™re making a decision about roof vent fans.
2008 F350 V10, Auto, Crew Cab, XLT, Long Bed
2005 Rockwood 2104
2017 Yamaha XT250 Dual Sport Motorcycle
6 REPLIES 6

DR650
Explorer
Explorer
I'm hopeful that the "Rev. B" printed on the tag on the new
motor means it's "improved".
2005 Rockwood 2104

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info DR650,
I've got two of the older style in my MH. After so many years of being a family owned business that stood behind their products with a lifetime warranty and quality products, it's sad to hear where Dometic has taken the line. I was a fierce supporter of them for years. Many years after buying my previous MH that had one fan above the kitchen sink (that made a terribly annoying ring when it ran) I stopped by their table at a FMCA rally and asked what to do about it to make the wife happy. They asked the year of the RV, I told them it was a 2001. Then they handed me a new motor assembly and asked if I could do the replacement or if they needed to send a tech out to do it. I told them I could handle it. There was no charge and I got to keep the old parts - still around here somewhere. They said a one time (back in that time frame) they'd gotten a bad batch of motors and had heard that complaint from several owners.

Times have changed from what I'm hearing. After many years in the business, it was time for the original owners to retire and they sold the company to Dometic. The rest is history. These days we're dealing with a corporation that has a profit motive as their paramount driving force.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
If they were serious they would use a brushless motor with twin ball bearings. Good Luck, that.

True, but then we would have to assume people will pay for quality. Sadly most won't. The price point generally controls.

To the OP thanks for the good information
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

DR650
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you amxpress. I would be interested if the replacement motor is one of the tall black motors. If it's a flat gold motor I'll have to say thank you but no thank you.
2005 Rockwood 2104

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
The fan in my Columbus started making a terrible noise so I was sent a free replacement. It was 5 years old. I never got around to replacing it before selling the trailer. Itโ€™s yours for the shipping, if interested.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
If they were serious they would use a brushless motor with twin ball bearings. Good Luck, that.