Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: 6 volt battery post melted
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 6 volt battery post melted

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/20 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pyrosecur wrote:

yes I have a volt meter, what should I check ?
I disconnected the positive cable at the generator
Double check the generator cable you disconnected didnt lean over and rest itself on metal?

Turn your volt meter to the setting that makes a beep when you touch both probes together. Then touch one probe to the red cable that smokes, and the other probe to nice clean metal on the frame.

That should tell you if you need to start searching for the relay youre talking about. I dont understand that part but will keep up with the thread.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/20 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pyrosecur wrote:

Snip...

PS I have no idea why it shows as a new member, maybe because I do not post often (too busy camping [emoticon] )

Number of posts:
0-49 -> New Member
50-199 -> Full Member
200- -> Senior member
Barney [emoticon]

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

pyrosecur

Montreal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/20 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

pyrosecur wrote:

Snip...

PS I have no idea why it shows as a new member, maybe because I do not post often (too busy camping [emoticon] )

Number of posts:
0-49 -> New Member
50-199 -> Full Member
200- -> Senior member
Barney [emoticon]

Thanks for the info

PS do you know where I can see how many posts I have made ?

Happy Camping ">

Allegro 32BA

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/20 01:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my opinion, it's not all that essential to check to see if the melty wire is shorted to ground with a meter; obviously it is, or nearly so, since it's clearly been carrying an abnormal current for the generator just sitting there. (One would expect essentially zero current, maybe a couple milliamps at most, when the generator is shut off, and perhaps a couple amps when it's running, and somewhere around maybe 100A when its cranking.)

The solution is to trace along the wire and find where it's shorting to ground. I'd be pretty confident it's somewhere along the wire between the battery and the generator, rather than a problem in the generator, provided there's no obvious evidence of bad things in the generator itself--things like burn marks, or melted insulation on wires, or loose wires on the starter or starter solenoid, etc.

I'm not saying that checking things with a meter is never a useful diagnostic technique, just that in this case the evidence is abundantly enough clear that it's unnecessary. Similarly, if you find a big puddle of oil under your engine, it's probably not too necessary to check the level on the dipstick; you can be pretty sure it'll be low without checking.

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/20 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The reason to check both cable ends with a meter (battery end and generator end) is to see if the readings are the same, then you will know it is the cable going to the generator.
Then run another cable from battery to generator.

pyrosecur

Montreal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/20 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK everyone thanks to yours comment I'm up and running.

I believe the problem has been solved. The snow which accumulated in the engine compartment was building up while driving and when I stopped it melted and fell down on the different electrical connections and caused a temporary short. Thankfully the cable connections to the positive battery posts were the weakest in the system and caused the heat build up and melted the connections. I would have thought a fuse somewhere in the system would have blown but the post acted as the fuse and melted instead.

Luckily my 6v battery had a post which was not affected (the original connections were held in place by a bolt) I installed a new terminal on it and redid all my connections. Everything appears to be back to normal.

Thank you all for your inputs ! [emoticon]

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/20 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:

[emoticon] Hi, melted connections are not caused by a short; They are caused by a poor connection. A heavy load with a poor connection creates heat.

This is 100% correct

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/20 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:

[emoticon] Hi, melted connections are not caused by a short;

What an acinine statement !

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/20 10:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm I seem to be detecting an impending coincidence

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/20 01:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pyrosecur wrote:

Really, we're all just jealous of someone that can camp for 13 years and only have a handful of problems/questions [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 6 volt battery post melted
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.