Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Atwood hot water heater -- Too darn hot
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Atwood hot water heater -- Too darn hot

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

Senior Member

Joined: 06/20/2009

View Profile



Posted: 04/25/20 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike134 wrote:

Quote:


Maybe you mis-read my post. What you describe is exactly what I had - a shower head with an on/off button. Despite this, when turned back on it was all hot for a few seconds. So it wasn't that I had to readjust the valves - they were already adjusted. I am just thankful it wasn't my son that got burned.

My shower head with the push button does the same thing. Not sure how the water remains circulating but it's just a straight hot water blast till the tempered water mixes in a few seconds later. Must be a design flaw since we both have had that happen


______________________________________________________________________

When you stop/limit flow thru shower head using the on/off button/lever on the handle the shower faucet acts like a mixing chamber.....
Hot water typically is at a higher pressure then the cold water due to pressure increase in WH tank from heating the water (it swells when heated/pressure increases from the swelling)
So when you turn shower head back on...hot water flows first until mixing of hot/cold in faucet catches back up with previous adjustment of knobs.

Simple thermal dynamics .......

Simple 'cure' ---- turn shower head away from you when first turning it back on via shutoff on handle.

Slow learners may require getting hit with that hot water a couple of times but should come to remember to turn head away initially.


Is it time for your medication or mine?


2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

ajriding

st clair

Senior Member

Joined: 12/28/2004

View Profile



Posted: 04/25/20 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didnt read any replies, lol, sorry.

On mine I just know how long it needs to run to get to the temp I want for my one shower. I could run it 12 mins on the old camper, and the new required 20 minutes to get it to shower temp. With this method I did not waste time or water adjusting the hot and cold handles, I just ran straight hot.

I even knew in very cold temps how much longer to run it.

Mike134

Elgin

Senior Member

Joined: 11/20/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/25/20 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Mike134 wrote:

Quote:


Maybe you mis-read my post. What you describe is exactly what I had - a shower head with an on/off button. Despite this, when turned back on it was all hot for a few seconds. So it wasn't that I had to readjust the valves - they were already adjusted. I am just thankful it wasn't my son that got burned.

My shower head with the push button does the same thing. Not sure how the water remains circulating but it's just a straight hot water blast till the tempered water mixes in a few seconds later. Must be a design flaw since we both have had that happen


______________________________________________________________________

When you stop/limit flow thru shower head using the on/off button/lever on the handle the shower faucet acts like a mixing chamber.....
Hot water typically is at a higher pressure then the cold water due to pressure increase in WH tank from heating the water (it swells when heated/pressure increases from the swelling)
So when you turn shower head back on...hot water flows first until mixing of hot/cold in faucet catches back up with previous adjustment of knobs.

Simple thermal dynamics .......

Simple 'cure' ---- turn shower head away from you when first turning it back on via shutoff on handle.

Slow learners may require getting hit with that hot water a couple of times but should come to remember to turn head away initially.


I appreciate the explanation about the thermal dynamics makes sense.

To bad the rest of your answer shows you to be an a**h**e


2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

Senior Member

Joined: 04/05/2003

View Profile


Online
Posted: 04/25/20 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's been a while sense this has been discussed, and I hope my memory is right.
Most al shower head valves drizzle when turned off. If the hose comes out of the top of the mixing valves, the water is hot when turned back on.
If the hose comes out of the bottom of the mixing valves, then the water will be cold when turned back on.
I have found a way to fix this problem.
I installed a garden hose at the shower head, which does not allow the water to drizzle when turned off. The water may cool slightly when turned off.

In order to install the garden hose valve, you need to get garden hose to 1/2" pipe adaptors. I've found that the nylon ones work the best. I found them at Tractors Supply, in their farm sprayer supply area.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2005

View Profile






Posted: 04/25/20 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dusty R: Something like this? Shut off


Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker


Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

Senior Member

Joined: 04/05/2003

View Profile


Online
Posted: 04/25/20 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine are plastic and the shutoff handle is different but same principle. I think it would be called a ball valve.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

Senior Member

Joined: 04/05/2003

View Profile


Online
Posted: 04/25/20 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine are plastic and the shutoff handle is different but same principle. I think it would be called a ball valve.

poppa

Dallas, TX

New Member

Joined: 01/16/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/25/20 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what grade are yall in that ya cant figure out the hot/cold water process?

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

Senior Member

Joined: 06/20/2009

View Profile



Posted: 04/25/20 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike134 wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Mike134 wrote:

Quote:


Maybe you mis-read my post. What you describe is exactly what I had - a shower head with an on/off button. Despite this, when turned back on it was all hot for a few seconds. So it wasn't that I had to readjust the valves - they were already adjusted. I am just thankful it wasn't my son that got burned.

My shower head with the push button does the same thing. Not sure how the water remains circulating but it's just a straight hot water blast till the tempered water mixes in a few seconds later. Must be a design flaw since we both have had that happen


______________________________________________________________________

When you stop/limit flow thru shower head using the on/off button/lever on the handle the shower faucet acts like a mixing chamber.....
Hot water typically is at a higher pressure then the cold water due to pressure increase in WH tank from heating the water (it swells when heated/pressure increases from the swelling)
So when you turn shower head back on...hot water flows first until mixing of hot/cold in faucet catches back up with previous adjustment of knobs.

Simple thermal dynamics .......

Simple 'cure' ---- turn shower head away from you when first turning it back on via shutoff on handle.

Slow learners may require getting hit with that hot water a couple of times but should come to remember to turn head away initially.


I appreciate the explanation about the thermal dynamics makes sense.

To bad the rest of your answer shows you to be an a**h**e


Tisk tisk....not nice to call people names

But if you are one of those slow learners I guess it is the best you can do

2 many 2

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/25/2015

View Profile



Posted: 04/25/20 10:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Mike134 wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Mike134 wrote:

Quote:


Maybe you mis-read my post. What you describe is exactly what I had - a shower head with an on/off button. Despite this, when turned back on it was all hot for a few seconds. So it wasn't that I had to readjust the valves - they were already adjusted. I am just thankful it wasn't my son that got burned.

My shower head with the push button does the same thing. Not sure how the water remains circulating but it's just a straight hot water blast till the tempered water mixes in a few seconds later. Must be a design flaw since we both have had that happen


______________________________________________________________________

When you stop/limit flow thru shower head using the on/off button/lever on the handle the shower faucet acts like a mixing chamber.....
Hot water typically is at a higher pressure then the cold water due to pressure increase in WH tank from heating the water (it swells when heated/pressure increases from the swelling)
So when you turn shower head back on...hot water flows first until mixing of hot/cold in faucet catches back up with previous adjustment of knobs.

Simple thermal dynamics .......

Simple 'cure' ---- turn shower head away from you when first turning it back on via shutoff on handle.

Slow learners may require getting hit with that hot water a couple of times but should come to remember to turn head away initially.


I appreciate the explanation about the thermal dynamics makes sense.

To bad the rest of your answer shows you to be an a**h**e


Tisk tisk....not nice to call people names

But if you are one of those slow learners I guess it is the best you can do

[emoticon] I was one of those slow learners almost twenty years ago. It took me about three times to get the idea!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Atwood hot water heater -- Too darn hot
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.