cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV "Coffee Table" Books

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Coffee table not quite right term but can't think of a better off the cuff.

Looking for RV & camping books, not guides or how-to, but books that you can pick up & put down, start & stop reading on any page.

Got what I could find at Amazon: Camper & RV Humor, Trailerama, Peculiar Place of the RV in American Culture. What else is available? Doesn't need to be new purchase, I've no problem buying good comdition used books.
14 REPLIES 14

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the recommendations!

NRALIFR wrote:
Make your own.
We havenโ€™t done this in a while, but we have used our own trip photos to create bound, hardback photo books that turned out very nice. We used kodakgallery.com, which has since been replaced by Shutterfly. Itโ€™s very easy to use, we arenโ€™t even photo hobbyists ourselves. We just use our smartphone cameras, and typically come home with hundreds of photos from a short trip. Thereโ€™s always a few dozen that are worthy of printing.
The best part is, theyโ€™re YOUR photos! About the stuff that you did! When your memory starts to go, youโ€™ll pick up those books and say โ€œWho are these people, why did we buy this book?โ€
:):)

Neat idea! Will have to get the DiL to get us computer neaderthals started so we can just plug in the pics.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Make your own.

We havenโ€™t done this in a while, but we have used our own trip photos to create bound, hardback photo books that turned out very nice. We used kodakgallery.com, which has since been replaced by Shutterfly. Itโ€™s very easy to use, we arenโ€™t even photo hobbyists ourselves. We just use our smartphone cameras, and typically come home with hundreds of photos from a short trip. Thereโ€™s always a few dozen that are worthy of printing.

The best part is, theyโ€™re YOUR photos! About the stuff that you did! When your memory starts to go, youโ€™ll pick up those books and say โ€œWho are these people, why did we buy this book?โ€

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Great topic - reminded me of books we have that I could get out one at a time and enjoy while being stuck at home...

We've got a set of National Geographic books with titles like:
Scenic Highways, Hidden Corners, Rural America, Alaska's Magnificent Parklands, etc. They will be great to put on the coffee table and peruse. And yeah - they are pretty old - from the last century anyway. That might make them more fun.

And we also often pick up books from the visitor centers at National Parks - gotta get out the book we got last spring from Sleeping Bear Dunes.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
We have books about the places that we visit, we purchased one at the Mesa Verde visitors center that is interesting.

navegator

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
Not RV specific, but certainly travel related:

Atlas Obscura
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
If your a nostalgia buff, Camping in the Old Style by David Wescott is a good read. This book was on a coffee table at one of the RV parks and I couldn't put it down. With chapters like "Under the canvas" etc. It's how they did it before nylon sleeping bags and our modern RV's.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Explorer II
Explorer II
We have Texas Highways magazines, of course.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
May I recommend an App for your Android (and possibly IOS) device SimplyE

You create a profile (At the library of New York) you are supposed to need a Library card but. It did not ask me (I have 2 or 3 such cards)

Also if you like science fiction www.baen.com/library Or google baen free library.

Also if you have the kindle app. they have a ton of free books.. A couple summers ago my Internet time was not as great as it is now and I was going through a Cozy Mystery a day.. (Yup I do not so much ead books as Devoure them ๐Ÿ™‚ )

I've done a lot of reading in my day.. Used to return paper back books to the library by the boxfull.. you buy the books, Read 'em Box 'em add a pre-addressed post card and it comes back with a count.. Mine was usually 99.

I vauled them at a buck a used book for tax donation purposes (Likely undervalued) I'd do this at least once a year.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
SAR Tracker wrote:
Environmentally sound, humorously written, for those that have always wondered....How to.......

Thanks, it gives me an idea for a gift to give my GS. ๐Ÿ™‚

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I keep state specific atlases around. And literature that's relevant to destinations.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Environmentally sound, humorously written, for those that have always wondered....How to.......
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
The Ride of Our Lives by Mike Leonard ($17 new, $4 or so on ebay) is the story of a former NBC producer who bought an RV and piled his family plus elderly parents into it for a ride across the US. It's has several emotions from humor to eyes tearing up. Probably not worth the new price but definitely worth the used dollars.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
I like location specific books from our favorite destinations. I'd suggest a particular photographer journalist for Alaska- Michio Hoshino
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
"Ready to Roll: A Celebration of the Classic American Travel Trailer" by Arrol Gellner and Douglas Keister. 2003. There are used copies for sale on Amazon.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed