cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firearms in Calf.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Did a search and didn't find what I was looking for but did see some gun talk in a few threads so I'm assuming it is okay to talk about here? If not, mods please feel free to delete.

In researching handgun vehicle/RV carry laws in Calf. I readily find the rules about transport in locked container (NOT the glove box, etc.). I also see about using a gun for self defense in CA when life is threatened, etc. My question is, all the vehicle carry laws say for, "transport only". So, my question is, am I ever justified USING my gun as an out of state resident passing through? Basically, should I roll with my gun nearby (in a locked container) or should I just bury and store it until I am out of the state?
17 REPLIES 17

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
gemsworld wrote:
It didn't take very long for this thread to turn into another California bashing by the California haters in this forum. If there is a thread that should be closed for legitimate reasons, this is it.

To the OP, ignore the know-nothings that spout nonsense and visit official state websites or contact law enforcement agencies for accurate information.

I agree!!
pigman1 wrote:
California gun laws, which are draconian to say the least.

My suggestion, Stay out of California. For a gun owner not licensed in California to try to bring a gun into the state for any reason is foolish. Add that to their unbelievable fuel prices, their tax structure, their absolutely unbelievably bad drivers and traffic jams and the terrible poor road conditions and filthy highway right of ways Your choice, but be careful.

^^^^ This is how these threads go sideways..

I left that state for a good reason. Born in cali in 46, left to live in Montana 70-82, back to cali but it got so stinking bad finally was able to move to Idaho in late Oct of 17. As the gentleman in the post office said when we were setting up our mail, "welcome to Idaho where you get your CONSTITUTIONAL rights back".
Rick and Patti 🙂
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES 🙂
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
While standardized state laws may make things easier, Ken, that isn’t what our federal-state system was designed to do. There isn’t any provision in the Constitution giving the feds that power.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
gemsworld wrote:
It didn't take very long for this thread to turn into another California bashing by the California haters in this forum. If there is a thread that should be closed for legitimate reasons, this is it.

To the OP, ignore the know-nothings that spout nonsense and visit official state websites or contact law enforcement agencies for accurate information.

I agree!!
pigman1 wrote:
California gun laws, which are draconian to say the least.

My suggestion, Stay out of California. For a gun owner not licensed in California to try to bring a gun into the state for any reason is foolish. Add that to their unbelievable fuel prices, their tax structure, their absolutely unbelievably bad drivers and traffic jams and the terrible poor road conditions and filthy highway right of ways Your choice, but be careful.

^^^^ This is how these threads go sideways..
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Triple post ---due to lousy software----"Service Temporarily Unavailable"
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Double post...cause of lousy software

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
CA.......
Before crossing into CA place your EMPTY/unloaded firearm(s) in a separate locked compartment and the ammo for firearm(s) in a different compartment

Load and have handy at your own legal risk.

Having been a citizen of CA for 30+ years I have always 'skirted' the CA gun laws.
My personal choice and fully understood the legal consequences.
BUT I choose to deal with the legal issues vs having my loved ones hurt/killed by some low-life

Still carry ready when going across CA State lines.....but I do NOT 'advertise' I have weapons.

Know the LAWS and then decide ----personal decisions

Community Alumni
Not applicable

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
rexlion wrote:
Now if we could just move the state line so Yosemite is in Nevada...... 🙂

Why would you want to ruin Yosemite?

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Now if we could just move the state line so Yosemite is in Nevada...... 🙂
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
pigman1 wrote:
The "locked container (NOT the glove box, etc.)" is one of the provisions of the Federal law that permits a gun owner to transport a gun from one place in which it's legal for him to have and carry it to another placer where it's legal for him to have it. This shields you to carry it THROUGH a state where it would be otherwise illegal. If you use this law to transport a gun through California, there are a number of other provisions of the law that you need to know and comply with. For example if you spend the night with a friend or relative, you then fall under California gun laws, which are draconian to say the least. There are others.

My suggestion, Stay out of California. For a gun owner not licensed in California to try to bring a gun into the state for any reason is foolish. Add that to their unbelievable fuel prices, their tax structure, their absolutely unbelievably bad drivers and traffic jams and the terrible poor road conditions and filthy highway right of ways means that although we've been within a couple of miles of the state but have not been it for years. Your choice, but be careful.

X2
Either stay out of California, or if you really want to visit for an extended time find a licensed gun store to store and hold your gun(s) while you are visiting. Then either go back to that store, or have them shipped to a gun store at your exit point. Both of the stores being outside California.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I carry mine in a 'safe' place in the TT when traveling. I take it every time I go regardless of the laws in each state. My State is reciprotory with some but none are with CA. Never had an issue crossing into CA's border. They're more worried about my fruit.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Ed C is right, the cops aren't going to be searching your RV.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Visit a State and you are subject to their laws. Guns and ammo have to be separate and locked up by law. Some people get searched.

I live in Nevada and sometimes I forget.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
The "locked container (NOT the glove box, etc.)" is one of the provisions of the Federal law that permits a gun owner to transport a gun from one place in which it's legal for him to have and carry it to another placer where it's legal for him to have it. This shields you to carry it THROUGH a state where it would be otherwise illegal. If you use this law to transport a gun through California, there are a number of other provisions of the law that you need to know and comply with. For example if you spend the night with a friend or relative, you then fall under California gun laws, which are draconian to say the least. There are others.

My suggestion, Stay out of California. For a gun owner not licensed in California to try to bring a gun into the state for any reason is foolish. Add that to their unbelievable fuel prices, their tax structure, their absolutely unbelievably bad drivers and traffic jams and the terrible poor road conditions and filthy highway right of ways means that although we've been within a couple of miles of the state but have not been it for years. Your choice, but be careful.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus