Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish/Direct TV is going Bye Bye Millions soon to Disconnect

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Elon Musk's Internet for Everyone Is Coming Very Soon

Elon Musk says SpaceX's ambitious Starlink satellite internet setup has made great steps toward providing good internet to previously low-priority locations. Muskโ€™s Starlink plan accounts for an eventual 40,000 satellites in orbit to blanket the globe in internet coverage, far surpassing any existing satellite internet service.

By years end you will get fast internet at home or in your RV anywhere, internet gets you thousands of TV programs and many are free without commercials..

Bye Bye cable and satellite TV..

https://www.yahoo.com/news/elon-musks-internet-everyone-coming-155600310.html

:C :B
33 REPLIES 33

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
This will be very different than the current satellite internet offerings. Currently the Geo-Stationary satellites are used which are 22,500 miles above the Earth making the signal delay in the 1/2 second range for each round trip. There can be dozens of round trips to get one page to open.
The new satellites will only be 250 miles above the Earth cutting the latency (delay) to a much more reasonable time. Due to the low altitude, they will have to go faster than the Earth rotation and in different directions so you have to have a chain of satellites that hand the signal off to each other as on rises above the horizon as the other falls below. It will be interesting to see what the net result is.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
We also need to consider that satellite internet has been notoriously poor. Low bandwidth, very slow, frequent weather issues just when you need it, and very expensive for what you get. Too many unanswered questions to think this is going to be the answer to everyone's prayers. Chuck

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have heard several price estimates on Star Link.. Most of 'em I do not believe. I'm guessing the cost will be close to Dish/Direc. But the key word is GUESSING.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Until we know the cost I would not be underestimating the existing competition.

Exactly, the cost of the pizza box, the cost of the service per month, is there an initial add on cost, is there a data cap and lastly what bandwidth we would get. And lastly is this a shared service: if there are ten others near you also trying to use this how will the available bandwidth be divided.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Until we know the cost I would not be underestimating the existing competition.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
The method of delivery is irrelevant.

Itโ€™s still hundreds of channels of cr@p that I wonโ€™t be watching.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
chuckbear wrote:
. You have been preaching this for as long as I have been a member of this forum.
It's getting old. Nobody cares if he's right.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:

Your lack of knowledge of satellite TV is now eclipsed by your lack of knowledge of satellite Internet. Get educated at the Starlink FAQ.

From Elon Musk . . .

"We'll have some small number of customers in Los Angeles but we can't do a lot of customers in Los Angeles because the bandwidth per cell is simply not high enough" also "I wanna be clear, it's not like Starlink is a huge threat to telcos. I want to be super clear. It is not. In fact it will be helpful to telcos because Starlink will serve the hardest to serve customers that telcos otherwise have trouble doing with landlines or even with cell radio stations, cell towers."

Yes the big cities with high speed cable internet/TV will still be king in the cities, but Dish/Direct TV is king in the rural areas and with RV's and that is where Starlink will be king, Dish/Direct will lose so many customers in theses rural areas and RV's it will take a huge bite out of their profit, I suspect they might even shutter their doors or sell out to another company at a fire sale price to give it a go..

Dish satellites are rare here in Vegas, cable or tele line has the largest share of the market for internet and TV, I also suspect that is the same in every large city..

But Starlink will rule the rural areas and RV's..

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
K Charles wrote:
According to Elon Musk anywhere on Earth in under an hour by 2018, that should be coming up soon.

You want to put that into English? If you mean travel anywhere on earth in 60 minutes? That would require suborbital flight. 12000+ miles in an hour plus landing and takeoff times. And I have seen no signs that anyone is preparing for that. So if it ever happens it won't be soon, and it won't be in the atmosphere. Most folks aren't ready for a 4G takeoff anyway.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
According to Elon Musk anywhere on Earth in under an hour by 2018, that should be coming up soon.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
For how long has timmac been telling us about the pending demise of satellite TV? 10 years? As I mentioned before, I don't see satellite TV disappearing any time soon.

Funny how timmac only mentions the TV satellite industry but not the cable industry when he says new technologies are going to put them out of business. I'm thinking he must be a disgruntled worker that was fired by one or both of the satellite companies.

Cable companies will take a small hit but they offer high speed internet to business as well as home but in large cities mostly but the dish companies try to hit the rural areas and RV's mostly and that is going to hurt their business big cause they don't offer internet..

Internet and streaming is the new way, with streaming you don't have to pay for shopping channels in your package like dish/direct does, you only buy what you want to watch and most of it is Free and very few commercials..

Old dish/direct TV with a few good channels and mostly junk channels with commercials that cost $100 a month will not make it in the near future..

12 months and counting

Community Alumni
Not applicable
For how long has timmac been telling us about the pending demise of satellite TV? 10 years? As I mentioned before, I don't see satellite TV disappearing any time soon.

Funny how timmac only mentions the TV satellite industry but not the cable industry when he says new technologies are going to put them out of business. I'm thinking he must be a disgruntled worker that was fired by one or both of the satellite companies.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
By years end you will get fast internet at home or in your RV anywhere, internet gets you thousands of TV programs and many are free without commercials..

Your lack of knowledge of satellite TV is now eclipsed by your lack of knowledge of satellite Internet. Get educated at the Starlink FAQ.

From Elon Musk . . .

"We'll have some small number of customers in Los Angeles but we can't do a lot of customers in Los Angeles because the bandwidth per cell is simply not high enough" also "I wanna be clear, it's not like Starlink is a huge threat to telcos. I want to be super clear. It is not. In fact it will be helpful to telcos because Starlink will serve the hardest to serve customers that telcos otherwise have trouble doing with landlines or even with cell radio stations, cell towers."
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
12 months dish/direct TV will be asking for a bail out from our government..

Don't invest in a fancy satellite dish for your RV, it will be useless soon..

4 Brilliant Uses for an old SATELLITE DISH!

https://youtu.be/LaAf6Ltgal8

12 months and counting... ๐Ÿ˜›

Do us all a favor and wait 12 months and then come can and tell us how it worked out. You have been preaching this for as long as I have been a member of this forum. As a matter of fact, I can't recall you posting about anything else which leads me to believe you have an agenda. Chuck