cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First visit to Quartzite

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Usually do my ramblin' during the warm months, so Quartzite isn't a good choice then. This winter I decided I'd better check it out, before I hang up my steering wheel.

Left from my home on the central CA coast Feb 28 and returned home on Mar 18. Total mileage was about 1100 mi. Stayed at RV parks in Bakersfield, Barstow, Needles, Joshua Tree and Lancaster. Attended a good bluegrass festival in Lake Havasu, AZ before arriving in the Q area. Spent 5 boondocking nights around Q and one outside of Joshua Tree NP. Below are photo collages of each BLM boondocking spot with brief descriptions and GPS coordinates.

Got back home to a "different world" due to the virus mess. ;( Hope I can get a least a couple of months of ramblin' in this summer. TBD.

Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram
27 REPLIES 27

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
Ramblin' Ralph wrote:
noteven wrote:
Howdy Ralph - re: stuck in sand - Iโ€™m thinking of buying a set of Maxtrax recovery boards for just such an occasion.

Someone else I told about my episode suggested them. I might be too old and stiff to dig and place them, though. I think I'll just be more careful. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ya the genuine Maxtrax have handles molded in and the tips form a bit of a shobbel so you can tip them in to the tires - once a tire gets a holda them out you go...

I wonder... would these work with a Class A?

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
jarata1 wrote:
Not sure what people see in quartzsite seemed like a lot of nothing when we went

Here, maybe this T-shirt will explain it:

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what people see in quartzsite seemed like a lot of nothing when we went

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
The last time we camped in the AZ areas you guys are talking about we had to cross a wash in our Class C to get to our spot, so we pretty much had it to ourselves on the other side. That was really a nice bonus out there!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
I zoomed in on the pics I took in your direction, but didn't spot your rig. I did take a walk N of me a bit to your "row", but still nothing in those pics. That would have been something if I had photographed your rig! ๐Ÿ™‚ I did have a pic from Mar 11 and Mar 12 that showed recent rain on the ground. I didn't leave until Mar 13, so it must have continued until then.

Safe travels.
Ralph
Instagram

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ramblin' Ralph wrote:
JKJavelin wrote:
Ha! We may have been there at the same time Ralph.

We definitely were!! How coincidental! I arrived the afternoon of Mar 10 and left a.m. of Mar 13. I looked at the satellite map of both of our locations and see where you were. I probably saw your rig from where I was. Why didn't you come over and say hello? ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Here's where we stayed.

2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
JKJavelin wrote:
Ha! We may have been there at the same time Ralph.

We definitely were!! How coincidental! I arrived the afternoon of Mar 10 and left a.m. of Mar 13. I looked at the satellite map of both of our locations and see where you were. I probably saw your rig from where I was. Why didn't you come over and say hello? ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
Ralph
Instagram

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ha! We may have been there at the same time Ralph. We were at Plamosa Road from February 28- March 12, about 800 feet west of your GPS coordinates, in the next "row" up if you look at satellite view. 33.76094,-114.18185
It did rain the last few days we were there. We had solar installed Monday the 9th in the Q and I think the next day the rain started.
JK
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ramblin' Ralph wrote:
noteven wrote:
Howdy Ralph - re: stuck in sand - Iโ€™m thinking of buying a set of Maxtrax recovery boards for just such an occasion.

Someone else I told about my episode suggested them. I might be too old and stiff to dig and place them, though. I think I'll just be more careful. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ya the genuine Maxtrax have handles molded in and the tips form a bit of a shobbel so you can tip them in to the tires - once a tire gets a holda them out you go...

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ramblin' Ralph wrote:
noteven wrote:

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I like La Posa Tyson Wash
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
I've spent the last 4 winters at La Posa West (the smallest of the Quartzsite LTVAs) and even during the January Big Tent show there was plenty of room for proper "Social Distancing". Not so for the Big Tent itself!

If you are interested, a blog on my last trip is here. If you want to read just the Quartzsite part of the trip, start at page 50.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"I do wonder how many will be there next winter?"

A bunch more spreading out by folks that do come IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Ralph, I guess that your truck isn't a 4X4?

Nope, only 2WD. However, in 130+K miles of ramblin', that's only the 2nd time I've been stuck and needed help. The first time some kind soul unhitched their truck from their trailer and pulled me out for free! At least I didn't also get the "Q flu" on this trip! ๐Ÿ™‚
Ralph
Instagram