Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Palomino 2012 Maverick

intravino
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Guys,

I was looking into buying a Palomino Maverick 2012 in good condition. The guys is asking $ 12k for it but he said it was totaled by the previous owner because it wasn't stable an a leg broke off. A other guy got it cheap and repaired it. The current owner said everything is OK.

My questions to you are:

What should I look to check if the repair was done properly ?

How can I see if the structure is weak ?

Are Palomino of that year good ?

Palomino 2012

Thanks,

Intravino
9 REPLIES 9

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
The 2nd picture shows 3 jacks really out of plumb, but, I think the camera is to blame, as said unfortunately, alot of stuff will probably be up for sale after this mess were dealing with, I'd wait and shop around. Good luck with your search.

intravino
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the posts Guys,

It's really appreciated.

I will pass on the offer.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree it’s likely there will be more on the market pretty soon. I have no idea of the value, but there are other types of TCs that I’d prefer before it.

I guess you could ask Palomino what to check.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
The love of money....
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
Intravino, thanks for the additional link. I still get the same "Error code 16 - This request was blocked by the security rules". There is nothing wrong with the link, but I am not in America and sometimes traffic to Europe is blocked due to GDPR laws.

But. When Kayteg says the front jacks are crooked and the camper has additional support... I think I'd pass on the offer. A good repair would end up with everything straight and solid, as good as new or better (better because more work and diligence went into the repair than the factory could afford). With the very limited information available to me, there would be too many red flags on this offer.

Should you still pursue this camper any further: Why did the damage happen? There is a world of a difference between a solid camper that nicks its front right jack on a low wall or that is involved in a traffic accident, and one with structural damage (e. g. from rot) where the jack just gives way. In the first case, you can expect limited damage. But you can also expect damage to extend to other parts of the camper. For instance, seams that came unsettled and would start to leak.

Was the camper rolled on its side or crashed on a cabover corner? If you just tear off a jack, it sometimes just tears off without much additional damage (seen it once). If the camper is on the side or on the cabover, a lot more can be damaged, depending on the cause and the energy involved as well as the care involved in righting the camper. Damage may be found in spots all over.

Why was it declared "totalled"? What was the extend of the damage? Were parts of the framing replaced? Which ones?

I believe those Mavericks were wood framed? 8 years is not that old, but it is plenty of time to cause serious structural damage if a major leak goes unattended and the camper is stored outside.

I have an unpleasant feeling that a number of decent campers will be on the market later this year for reasons having to do with the current economic "situation". Be patient...
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

intravino
Explorer
Explorer
Why there is pole supporting the nose?

He told me because his wife likes to sleep there in the summer because they have no A/C in their house.. Maybe BS...

Thanks for your replies.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Why there is pole supporting the nose?
Both front jack looks tilted. That is indication of some structural damage.
Unless you are high-end DIY camper repair, the risk is high, no matter the price and $12k in not low price at all.

intravino
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry try this link :

https://tinyurl.com/y9s863cr

He told me that the damage was on the passenger's side.

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
The internet gods won't let me follow your link. I just get an error message.

I googled "2012 palimino maverick msrp" and came up with this:
http://www.rvguide.com/specs/palomino/truck-camper/2012/maverick/m-6601.html

A well done repair can be better than new. It can also be very poorly executed. But how do you know? Does the seller have pictures of the damage? When did the damage occur?

Historically, Palomino quality has not been at the top of the list. They were budget campers. Which doesn't mean much by itself.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow