Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: When on inverter power GFCI won't reset
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> When on inverter power GFCI won't reset

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
pcottrell81

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/20 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the wierdest issue and this is a new install but I believe it to be correct.

I have an automatic switch that will default to shore power by default, and if there is no shore power available and the inverter is on it will use that.

When the shore power is on everything works great the GFCI plugs test and reset fine.

When I use the inverter power (Modified Sine Wave) 2000w when I test it, it won't reset.

Funny thing is if it never trips the inverter works fine, I only found this in testing the gfci.

I read somewhere that campers and trailers use crappy gfci plugs and that the voltage out of the inverter might not be enough to let it reset.

Has anyone every had this issue with an inverter?

2018 Freedom Express 25se

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/20 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First step IMO is to replace the GFCI.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

12th Man Fan

Flower Mound , Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/20 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You probably know this already but what little I know about aGFI plug is the power has an In and out and it must be correct. Is it possible the inverter feeds form another direction than the shore power?

2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

Darryl&Rita

Grande Prairie, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/20 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's nothing wrong with the GFCI. This is the result of the electronics in the inverter, and how the GFCI reacts to it. It may be fixable by installing a jumper on the inverter, tying Neutral and Ground together, but that opens another can of worms. If it works, until it trips, I'd be inclined to leave it be.

***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

pcottrell81

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/20 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Darryl&Rita wrote:

There's nothing wrong with the GFCI. This is the result of the electronics in the inverter, and how the GFCI reacts to it. It may be fixable by installing a jumper on the inverter, tying Neutral and Ground together, but that opens another can of worms. If it works, until it trips, I'd be inclined to leave it be.

So if I’m understanding this right, the output (of the inverter) white and green should ground together?

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/20 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You just joined. You need to post Year/Brand/Model of RV and Brand and Model of the Inverter to get help.
GFCI sense the balance between the WHITE(Neutral wire) and BLACK (Hot wire). When the current is balanced the GFCI transmits 120 power. When there is an Imbalance(You standing in water and have an electric appliance that would electrocute you) The current runs thru you and there is an imbalance of power between White and Hot. The GFCI senses this and trips. There is no such thing as Crappy GFCI's in RV's. Inverters will put out enough Voltage to power thru a GFCI, especially a 2000 watt Inverter. As another poster mentioned, you need to pull the GFCI and make sure the Power IN is connected to the Input of the GFCI and the Output is connected to the output of the GFCI. It will really help to know Model and Brand of your Inverter. Also, are you using the Inverter to power the complete RV when not connected to shore Power? Doug

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/20 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pcottrell81 wrote:

Darryl&Rita wrote:

So if I’m understanding this right, the output (of the inverter) white and green should ground together?

NO NO NO. Doug

pcottrell81

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/20 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My inverter is a

GIANDEL 2000W Power Inverter 12V DC to 110V 120V AC with Remote Control and LED Display Dual AC Outlets & USB Port for RV Truck Boat

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/233347499651

pcottrell81

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/20 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

You just joined. You need to post Year/Brand/Model of RV and Brand and Model of the Inverter to get help.
GFCI sense the balance between the WHITE(Neutral wire) and BLACK (Hot wire). When the current is balanced the GFCI transmits 120 power. When there is an Imbalance(You standing in water and have an electric appliance that would electrocute you) The current runs thru you and there is an imbalance of power between White and Hot. The GFCI senses this and trips. There is no such thing as Crappy GFCI's in RV's. Inverters will put out enough Voltage to power thru a GFCI, especially a 2000 watt Inverter. As another poster mentioned, you need to pull the GFCI and make sure the Power IN is connected to the Input of the GFCI and the Output is connected to the output of the GFCI. It will really help to know Model and Brand of your Inverter. Also, are you using the Inverter to power the complete RV when not connected to shore Power? Doug

The gfci plug tests and resets fine on shore / generator, but when the inverter is running it won’t trip it but it won’t reset either if I do test it. I believe everything in the plug is wired fine.

I have an extra gfci plug I guess I could test that, but I do agree it should work.

My other guess is it’s a modified sine wave inverter and does gfci play well with that?

pcottrell81

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/20 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FYI I put my ear to the gfci plug and it is humming when the inverter is running, the non gfci plugs are not humming

* This post was edited 04/26/20 10:16pm by pcottrell81 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> When on inverter power GFCI won't reset
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.