Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: New Truck 4x4 or 4x2 ??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New Truck 4x4 or 4x2 ??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/20 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a RV forum. In the context of using the truck for the movement of the RV, how many have actually NEEDED to use 4WD & how often?

IMO the biggest decision is whether to get a SRW or a DRW. The difference will be appreciated everytime the trailer goes on the back.

I have a 2WD DRW. It is a whole lot nicer than basic work truck trim. Absolutely love the truck. Yes, I have been stuck a few times with the trailer on the back. Each time has been at a special event not using a normal CG. Each time I was able to either get myself out or the event had machinery there to pull people out. I was not alone. There were plenty with 4X4s getting stuck.

What I wish I could have over a 4X4 is a locking diff. All that weight over locked DRW has to make a huge difference over power to one rear wheel & a lightly loaded front wheel.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/20 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One more thought on using low range for backing...the newer trucks with 8-10 speed transmissions have much lower 1st and reverse gears, so while I don't have one, I expect it won't be as big of a difference as compared to the old 4 speed transmissions.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/20 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

4wd LOW RANGE is nice for placing RV on high blocks or backing up steep grade. It takes a lot of stress off the trans. Just DON'T be turning on solid ground as it can cause damage of the front axle if the tires can't sip.

My 98 RAM I added a 4 low axle disconnect that allowed the rear tires to be in low range, that was NICE!!!

You can stay in 4X2 and still use the low range in my F350. Not sure about Dodge, never had one of their P/U's just a go fast 383 Dart. They just don't build mussel cars any more.

Is that because you have locking hubs?

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Let's Go Exploring

Mandeville, La

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spend the extra $$ for the 4X4. You wont regret it. I was having the same question when we bought our F350. My brother, who also owns pick-ups, had previously owned a 4X2 and got stuck several times. (We both lived in Chicago.) I went went the 4X4 and it worked great when we needed it camping. It was also great for pulling a boat out of the water when the boat ramp is covered with leaves in the Fall. Not too bad for snow either!.

April & Tom (and son Brian when he is not busy!)

2004 Jayco JayFlight 29FBS TT
2006 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 Crew Cab w/ V10 Engine, 4:30 LS & Tow Command

32 Years and counting camping in tents, an '85 Jayco J pop-up and now a TT! ">

Geocaching Rocks!

94-D2

Sutter Creek ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/20 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

What I wish I could have over a 4X4 is a locking diff. All that weight over locked DRW has to make a huge difference over power to one rear wheel & a lightly loaded front wheel.

Look to an ARB locker. ArbUSA.com. It is selectable and very reliable. Cost about a grand and you get some on board air, unless you already have air, then it’s a bit cheaper. There are some E-lockers too if you didn’t want the air.

2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

It’s not what you’ve done that commands respect, it’s what you do.

Happy Campin’

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/20 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've owned multiple 2 wheel drive trucks of various sizes over the years but never towed anything of consequence with them on a regular basis. Our current RAM that we bought with the thought of towing a trailer is 4x4 with air suspension. I can't recall ever towing in 4WD, but I use 4WD Auto regularly when not towing. Without anything in the bed, 2WD trucks are notorious for losing traction on anything other than dry pavement. Better tires might help. The last 2WD truck I had I carried 100lbs of bagged playground sand in the back end all winter.

For towing, the air suspension has been more important to me. It keeps the truck level and provides a comfortable ride...

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey neat trick i wonder if my friends truck would do that. 02 f350. So you put it in 4low, both driveshafts will spin. Front axles spin. But dont engage the wheels. That might help her one day the truck is on 37s and stock gearing.

jaycocamprs

Ringgold Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

This is a RV forum. In the context of using the truck for the movement of the RV, how many have actually NEEDED to use 4WD & how often?

To the question of needing 4X4 while camping. Once, backing up a muddy hill on a rainy night.

You have a rare truck. Over 90% of Duramax truck were equipped with the Heavy Duty Power Pack option, Duramax, Allison & Eaton locker. Most of those not so equipped were manual transmission trucks.

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

miltvill

Ft. Lauderdale FL

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A diesel with 4WD will weigh around 900 pounds more then a 2WD gas truck. All the extra weight is on the front of the truck. A gas 2WD truck will have a higher towing rating due to the less weight. Good tires and a locking rear end are a must in a 2WD. A 2WD will go any place a class A,B or C can go.

2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Easy one.
Low range is over rated unless you are rock crawling.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New Truck 4x4 or 4x2 ??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.