Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Wet bolt kit recommendation
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Wet bolt kit recommendation

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/20 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking to put wet bolts on my FW. I know there are several kits available and just looking for recommendations from people who have installed a kit. Specifically, why you chose a particular kit and what, if any, issues you had in installing it. I have Dexter axles and Equa-Flex equalizers. TIA...

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/20 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought the kit from Dexter, but mine came with the EZ-Flex equalizers. I haven't seen any others except the kit from Lippert that comes with the "no lube necessary" bushings.

No real issues with installing, I have a triple axle and took my time and did it over the weekend. I did have a reamer to run through the bushing after they were installed to make sure they fit the bolts properly. The worst part was getting everything jacked up to relieve the pressure on the springs.

Not a very arduous chore at all.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/20 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MorRyde, heavy duty shackles wet bolts etc , easy DIY. MorRyde speaks for itself

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/20 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check each wet bolt and make sure it has been completely drilled. When I did mine I had a couple bolts that would not take grease.

After removing those bolts I discovered they had not been completely drilled. Problem solved with a drill.

Sorry it was several years ago and I am not sure which kit I used.

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/20 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two of these kits from etrailer.

wet bolt kit

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/20 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are 2 types of wet bolt. They are 9/16 A full size over its length and a reduced size with a shoulder that uses a 7/16 " sized nut. Both use thread locking nuts. They work equally well the issue is when you use the ones with the shoulder they can only be used with standard thickness shackles as they are intended to be tightened all the way to the shoulder which leaves a little play for the spring.
With the full size wetbolts you can use heavy duty thicker shackles that have better grip on the knurling, to prevent locking in the spring. The trick with them is to tighten the lock nut to full torque, then back the nut off a 1/2 turn to allow the spring to move between the shackles.
The bolt must never twist in the shackle.
Our '09 carriage 5er had dexter axles with mor ryde rubber equalizers. The morrydes did not have a 'tube' between sides. ' bolts were dry. They quickly wore through the equalizer, left us broke down for days at a tow truck yard to get new parts. $$$$

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/20 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

MorRyde, heavy duty shackles wet bolts etc , easy DIY. MorRyde speaks for itself

I have MorRyde installed by MorRyde and have no issues. Watched the install and would have been easy but I was in the area for a rally.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Nv Guy

Reno NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/20 10:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went with the Mor Ryde wet bolts, HD shackles and upgraded equalizer. Easy install.

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/20 10:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put the EZ flex/wet bolt/bronze bushing kit on my previous fiver? It saves money to buy a full kit like that and the Ez flex really helped the ride. I also had a couple of bolts that weren't drilled all the way. I put the fiver on stands with the wheels off and a floor jack under the center of the axle to raise or lower as necessary. I did one bushing at a time along with the bushing that was straight across, on the other side. That went really easy and maintained full control of the axle so there wasn't any ohsh!ts while the bolts were out of the spring ends. The bushings also went in and out easily. Craig

Oh yeh, verify this to be sure... Ezflex is the correct kit for one rocker style, probably Dexter, and I think Equalizer is another brand, to replace Lippert rockers. The different brands have different geometry.

* This post was last edited 04/27/20 11:18pm by C Schomer *   View edit history

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/20 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

There are 2 types of wet bolt. They are 9/16 A full size over its length and a reduced size with a shoulder that uses a 7/16 " sized nut. Both use thread locking nuts. They work equally well the issue is when you use the ones with the shoulder they can only be used with standard thickness shackles as they are intended to be tightened all the way to the shoulder which leaves a little play for the spring.
With the full size wetbolts you can use heavy duty thicker shackles that have better grip on the knurling, to prevent locking in the spring. The trick with them is to tighten the lock nut to full torque, then back the nut off a 1/2 turn to allow the spring to move between the shackles.
The bolt must never twist in the shackle.
Our '09 carriage 5er had dexter axles with mor ryde rubber equalizers. The morrydes did not have a 'tube' between sides. ' bolts were dry. They quickly wore through the equalizer, left us broke down for days at a tow truck yard to get new parts. $$$$

MorRyde kit has the bolts with shoulders , just longer to accommodated the thicker 1/2" shackles . The shackles themselves have the 9/16" bore for the shackles to go over. It also appears that the Dexter with the heavy duty shackles perform the same way. They allow for the nut to tightened up against the shoulder on the 1/2" heavy duty shackles .

When I replaced my old 1/4" sized shackles they had the same 9/16 bolt with the shoulder, as the new heavy duty kit . Nylon bushings were pushed out ,and replaced with the bronze bushings , with the new longer 9/16 wet bolts with a shoulder . Both bolts old ,and new were knurled to prevent turning.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Wet bolt kit recommendation
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.