cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any one flat tow a BMW?

bob_b
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to replace my toad (Miata) with a BMW 335i with a manual trans. Any body tow one?No one said it was ok to tow the Miata or before that a MR2 so I'm not interested in recommendations. The car I'm looking at is a 2013 convertible. Bob
bob b
21 REPLIES 21

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
As far as I know, the primary issue will be whether the transmission is lubricated adequately from just the OUTPUT shaft or whether it needs the INPUT shaft turning to properly lubricate the transmission.

A good BMW tech who overhauls the manual transmissions should be able to give you guidance.

Exactly! Many manual shift transmissions are splash lubricated by the rotating cluster gear. That cluster gear only rotates when the INPUT shaft is turning. When being towed, only the OUTPUT shaft is turning. No splash lubrication is taking place. Eventually, the output shaft bearings will dry out and begin to self destruct. It may take a while, but when it happens the repair cost will not be covered by ANY warranty!
IF that is true of the transmission in your vehicle, there are ways to get around it:
1. Stop every 100 to 200 miles, run the vehicle in Neutral for 5 minutes to distribute the lubricant.
2. Tow the vehicle with the engine running, transmission in Neutral. This will keep the lube stirred up and the bearings coated.
3. Replace the filler plug with a "street ell" pipe fitting, with the elbow pointed up. Fill the tranny with lube until it runs out of the elbow, then install the plug in it. This will flood the upper half of the gear train with lube. It will also cause some of the excess lube to puke out of the vent plug, so you will have to check the level often, and your vehicle will be "marking its territory" with oil spots.
Of course, you COULD just believe the Owners Manual when it says "Recreational Towing: ONLY on a dolly or trailer! Do NOT tow four down!"
Good luck.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
I stand corrected if that is the case, i was passing on info I received from an extremely knowledgeable BMW source.
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Bikeboy57 wrote:
The trans is not the issue since the car in question is a manual.

Wolfe's statement above pertains specifically to manual transmissions. Not all of them are lubricated effectively by the output shaft. The 5-speed used in Dodge Ram gas trucks were not towable, beyond 10 miles, due to this issue. But the 6-speed behind the diesel was towable.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
The trans is not the issue since the car in question is a manual. The challenge is how to unlock the steering wheel and yet not activate the car control nannies and abs. The car is keyless. When i explored this with an 08 M3 I was warned by a BMW guy who knew his stuff that the traction control and abs would not like this situation.
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
As far as I know, the primary issue will be whether the transmission is lubricated adequately from just the OUTPUT shaft or whether it needs the INPUT shaft turning to properly lubricate the transmission.

A good BMW tech who overhauls the manual transmissions should be able to give you guidance.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to check out some of the BMW forums for some input on this.

Gary

bob_b
Explorer
Explorer
YEAH!!! That's what I was hoping to hear! I will check further prior to purchase, Bob
bob b

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
My friend flat tows a ten year old 3 series stick all over. No mods.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
way2roll wrote:
Quick google search brings up a few Rv and Bimmer forums. Most agree with Remco that it can't or shouldn't be done. I imagine you could call a shop that works on them and ask. I wouldn't compare results of a mini. Just because it's made by bmw doesn't mean it's built the same. A bit like saying you can tow an F350 because you can tow a focus.

Truedat.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I see lots of them on flatbeds!
But seriously, they mostly just leak oil!!!!!

Sorry. On a car trailer only!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Quick google search brings up a few Rv and Bimmer forums. Most agree with Remco that it can't or shouldn't be done. I imagine you could call a shop that works on them and ask. I wouldn't compare results of a mini. Just because it's made by bmw doesn't mean it's built the same. A bit like saying you can tow an F350 because you can tow a focus.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Check with a BMW racing forum...find out how they are getting their cars to the track. Many Miatas in "Spec" racing circuit are towed 4 down. Maybe the same with BMWs.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
wolfe10 wrote:
Reisender wrote:
Well, a mini is built by BMW and they are towable 4 down. Not sure if the automatics are. And the electric minis are not.

Not sure it is reasonable to equate a FWD to a RWD in terms of towability. Very different mechanically.

I actually donโ€™t know what a mini is. FWD or RWD. We had one parked beside us in Zion last year. Nice looking car.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
Well, a mini is built by BMW and they are towable 4 down. Not sure if the automatics are. And the electric minis are not.

Not sure it is reasonable to equate a FWD to a RWD in terms of towability. Very different mechanically.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/