Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Best Fiver these days
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Best Fiver these days

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/20 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"There was a Luxe in a recent Trailer Life that was over $200K MSRP."

Our DRV probably "LISTED" at about 180k and we paid $130,000.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/20 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two hundred large? My, my.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/20 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you read this forum long enough you will hear complaints about all of them, even some of the so called high end models. And praise for all of them. Volume of complaints and praise is generally proportional to the sales numbers. The more units on the road the more comments for and against. Hard to say any one is any better or worse than any other.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/20 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here you go. I do not believe Montana still builds it.

https://www.rvtrader.com/Keystone-Montan........=MONTANA%7C764843037&trim=3710FL%7C33416

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

topjimmy

Washington Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/20 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2015 Montana 3735MK with 2 entry doors and it has been a real good reliable 5er for us over the years me and my wife love the 2 entry doors and mid kitchen layout BUT Montana does not make that model any more but I am sure you could find a nice used one out there somewhere

2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2004 2500HD GMC Short Bed, LB7 Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/20 05:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Small toy hauler perhaps may have 2 doors. Like Cummins12V said, Lippert makes frames to customer specs and when a framer goes south, Lippert gets the blame, but it may lie in how it was spec'd in the 1st place. Seems most coaches in the $100K range and weigh in around 14-15,000 seem to not only ride better, but seem to have fewer probs than lighter/cheaper units. All RV's use pretty much the same components. You use it, it's gonna break at some point in time. if you plan on doing extensive traveling, adding IS is a HUGE bonus (ask Cummins12 and FTG). Some form of air ride pin box helps too. While myself, Cummins12V and FTG are staunch supporters of B&W hitches, use whatever hitch you choose to your liking.

Do you plan to FT in the RV? Travel a lot?, Features you want? Don't buy into the glitz/glamour mfr's use to gussy them up. How big is your budget? TV big 'nuff to handle new coach? All that being said, many folks are happy w/ Grand Design, Big Horn/Big Country, DRV, Redwood, Cedar Creek, Riverstone, Montana, some Jayco's. Like stated above by other's, go look at them all and see what you folks like the best that fits 99.9% of what you want. From what I read here is the RV's you DON'T see complained about are the ones that don't have many issues. That's not to say they don't have any (guess you have to go to each brand's forum section and read for yourself), but at least on TL's forums, that's my take.

* This post was edited 04/29/20 08:56am by ACZL *

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/20 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New is OK I suppose but I would not discount finding a lightly used, well maintained respected older builder, even if that builder no longer exists.

Chances are that the frame is as good today as the day it came off the line. Everything else is third party components.

An older diamond in the rough can be had cheap. From there a major refit can be done ending in something cheaper than new, without the new issues.

The trick is to find something that you will be happy with for the long haul.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/20 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The BEST NEW Fiver.... The one that MOMMA likes and you don't mind.. ![emoticon]

The best fiver - the one that is paid off and yours...

seriously, That is all in the owners minds... Like 12V98 stated, the frames are made to mfg specs , not to mention it's been a while since we have heard of folks complaining about broken frames...

And don't let the LARGE MSRP scare you away... I found that the higher MSRP, the more leverage they have to deal... My Redwood was MSRP right around 140... paid under 90

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/20 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

New is OK I suppose but I would not discount finding a lightly used, well maintained respected older builder, even if that builder no longer exists.

Chances are that the frame is as good today as the day it came off the line. Everything else is third party components.

An older diamond in the rough can be had cheap. From there a major refit can be done ending in something cheaper than new, without the new issues.

The trick is to find something that you will be happy with for the long haul.

Had no desire to go out ,and spend 10's of thousands on another new fifth wheel, just purchased a new used one, went up 7 years newer ,and only 4K difference. Larger fridge ,level up, disc brakes, side bathroom, etc etc. The deals are out there.

The people that bought my old one got a good one, and a lot cheaper then a new one, and was well taken care of.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/20 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Two hundred large? My, my.

Hard to believe isn't it, and the problems you buy with one that expensive.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Best Fiver these days
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.