Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Best Fiver these days
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Best Fiver these days

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/20 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Veebyes wrote:

New is OK I suppose but I would not discount finding a lightly used, well maintained respected older builder, even if that builder no longer exists.

Chances are that the frame is as good today as the day it came off the line. Everything else is third party components.

An older diamond in the rough can be had cheap. From there a major refit can be done ending in something cheaper than new, without the new issues.

The trick is to find something that you will be happy with for the long haul.

Had no desire to go out ,and spend 10's of thousands on another new fifth wheel, just purchased a new used one, went up 7 years newer ,and only 4K difference. Larger fridge ,level up, disc brakes, side bathroom, etc etc. The deals are out there.

The people that bought my old one got a good one, and a lot cheaper then a new one, and was well taken care of.

Thought I saw a video last week from the guy in TX (Big Rig RV????) where he shot a video of a "X" year old Redwood that retailed for over $100K and now at like under $40K. Want to say the coach was really not that old and in really, really good condition. Sure it may have needed a lil TLC, but overall very nice unit for the price IMO.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/20 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

Veebyes wrote:

New is OK I suppose but I would not discount finding a lightly used, well maintained respected older builder, even if that builder no longer exists.

Chances are that the frame is as good today as the day it came off the line. Everything else is third party components.

An older diamond in the rough can be had cheap. From there a major refit can be done ending in something cheaper than new, without the new issues.

The trick is to find something that you will be happy with for the long haul.

Had no desire to go out ,and spend 10's of thousands on another new fifth wheel, just purchased a new used one, went up 7 years newer ,and only 4K difference. Larger fridge ,level up, disc brakes, side bathroom, etc etc. The deals are out there.

The people that bought my old one got a good one, and a lot cheaper then a new one, and was well taken care of.

Thought I saw a video last week from the guy in TX (Big Rig RV????) where he shot a video of a "X" year old Redwood that retailed for over $100K and now at like under $40K. Want to say the coach was really not that old and in really, really good condition. Sure it may have needed a lil TLC, but overall very nice unit for the price IMO.

Mike,
That WAS BTBRV( Big Truck/Big RV ) and he was filming a 2012 Redwood.. He stated that it sold new for 130,000.00 and we was wrong.. I am sure that was the MSRP... and the sale price now is $35,000.00... Good Price for that..

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

johndeerefarmer

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/20 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have two Grand Designs. A '16 29rs and a '17 220 rk. I have had lots of little things wrong with both of them. The only major thing was the Lippert brakes that had grease on them. GD made me call Lippert instead of them handling it. I did get new brakes but installed them myself. As the other poster mentioned above GD used to go above and beyond on service and extend the warranty for years past it's expiration date. I had a couple of plumbing parts go bad and they said I had to buy them.
I paid a premium for both of these RV's but will not buy GD again unless I can get a price comparable to a FR. I had three FR (Nitro, Surveyor and Columbus) prior to these two and had no more or less issues with them.

Looks like if you want a chance of getting anything from GD for free you have to get on one of the Facebook pages and cry.... They may help you that way. They are also bad about deleting posts that don't show GD in a good light.

2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

neal10a

Madison CT

View Profile

Posted: 05/23/20 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lippert is like most OEM's. They build and supply their products to what the 5th wheel mfg's spec out. So why blame Lippert? Also, those manufacturers purchase materials and components that they choose based on their criteria and profit needs. Therefore it is only reasonable to investigate and determine what those manufacturers decided upon and not blame the OEM for their choices.

justme

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/20 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

neal10a wrote:

Lippert is like most OEM's. They build and supply their products to what the 5th wheel mfg's spec out. So why blame Lippert? Also, those manufacturers purchase materials and components that they choose based on their criteria and profit needs. Therefore it is only reasonable to investigate and determine what those manufacturers decided upon and not blame the OEM for their choices.

That is true.

topperace

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/20 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just recently got into the Fifth Wheel business since I am coming up on retiring - spent about 7-8 months researching - thought we were sold on Grand Design 390 - Then we saw a 2019 JAYCO North Point 383FKWS at a local RV show, and immediately changed out minds due to the roominess of the North Point vs GD 390. Also heard about the decline in Grand Design workmanship/customer service..so wife was then sold on Jayco NP - price wasn't bad either since sold at a show...
we love it...it is big at 43 FT, but great floor plan, good workmanship for an RV (decent, as not many are very solid builds), and everything has worked with no real problems so far - 3 months.
We are really apprehensive at first about jumping into Fifth Wheel business... but very satisfied now w/ our selection.

Topperace
2019 RAM 3500 DRW
2019 Jayco North Point 383FKWS

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 05/24/20 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New Horizons; Luxe; Grand Design; DRV; Artic Fox are brands I would look at.... maybe Redwood. The companies that build higher quality can't seem to compete with the cheaper built manufacturers and end up shutting down. I would have liked to buy a Continental Coach in a couple years so was disappointed to hear of their closing up.

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/20 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“If” money is no object......New Horizons, out of Kansas! Their Summit line is still head and shoulders above most anything else....and somewhat affordable. If you will consider buying used.....they get a lot more affordable! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/20 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I “must” take a differing view on Lippert frames! They “may” build to the manufacuring specifications.....but, they have been plagued with quality control issues. These issues have “zero” to do with manufacturing specifications!!! memtb

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/24/20 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't hear a complaint about about a newer model RV with a Lippert frame in several years. Like all the old ST tire complaints I think that has pretty much come to an end.
B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Best Fiver these days
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.