2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate
102 REPLIES 102

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
edatlanta wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Love having DirecTV and DNS. I have not had to call/write or chat with anyone from DTV in YEARS! No changes needed. With the Trav'ler and a Genie/client setup I rarely watch live TV so when it comes on or where it's broadcast from has no meaning to me. I watch local news and national news using OTA from 5 until 6 or so and then it's back to whatever we have recorded. We also have a Firestick (2 actually) and can stream something available from a number of platforms as I luckily have a truly unlimited data plan no longer available. Even so, 90% of our TV watching is via satellite.

I'm right there with you Bill. Actually my system is just like yours, but I have a Slimline dish on a tripod.

Both setup work equally well. I'm just lazy and willing to pay for the convenience!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Love having DirecTV and DNS. I have not had to call/write or chat with anyone from DTV in YEARS! No changes needed. With the Trav'ler and a Genie/client setup I rarely watch live TV so when it comes on or where it's broadcast from has no meaning to me. I watch local news and national news using OTA from 5 until 6 or so and then it's back to whatever we have recorded. We also have a Firestick (2 actually) and can stream something available from a number of platforms as I luckily have a truly unlimited data plan no longer available. Even so, 90% of our TV watching is via satellite.

I'm right there with you Bill. Actually my system is just like yours, but I have a Slimline dish on a tripod.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Not like I have to switch over every week. We're on the road in 3-6 month blocks so switch over is about a 5 minute job.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
pigman1 wrote:
We don't use the RV and home at the same time, so it looks like just switching the necessary boxes back and forth would be the best way to go. Any insights from the "old hands" would be appreciated.

why not just rent another box for the home and leave it in the RV?
bumpy

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
2 Retired wrote:
How could DISH be able to do what Direct TV cannot if it relies on a federal law to be able to do it? I'm very confused by all of this.
Dish once had DNS but axed by the feds for violations. Dish has pay for use plan DTV does not. Dish local service change might be better, not sure.

Dish might buy DTV not sure. But I'll speculate that AT&T will never give up the central US birds which does not have the Dish E/W nuances.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
How could DISH be able to do what Direct TV cannot if it relies on a federal law to be able to do it? I'm very confused by all of this.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
We travel 4+ months and want locals when returning. While DNS is a option I think DW is thankful that I'm the one to call DTV. Trust me - I know exactly and precicely what to say to them, however it can provide entraintainment to DW. :B

Virtually everything we watch is recorded, local or not. One day I timed ABC World News including WN adds about what's coming up so viewers will be curious and watch the next paid ads. The verdic: 16 minutes of news and 14 minutes of ads - grade of F or F-. But they won as I didn't skip the ads that day.

So are they free broadcasts or not?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ditto what Bill wrote. I use a Chromecast instead of a Firestick (which I have but haven't gotten around to installing). Having 83 (currently) scheduled recordings I never have to worry about where I am, what the local channels are, and having to adjust the recording information. They just record whenever and I watch them at my convenience.
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
Pigman,

I did the change 2 years ago - and they just dropped off my "newbie" discounts.
I'm not happy about it.
The wife and I are now looking at cutting the cable and going to Pay as you go with Dish.

I'd like to stay with them but when I got online and started to complain, they directed me to an 800 number which I called and it was a 30 minute hold.

They may be losing my business because of their own stupidity.

Oh - just a footnote. Here in Denver, there is another ABC/Dish 'pi$$ing match' going on. I'm kinda glad that Dish put up a recording on the channels spelling out their position - but what I really liked is they said "you can use an OTA or Locast app" to get the same channel".

It's kinda impressive they are that transparent. Now if they would just stop being stupid, they'll keep another customer.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
A bit over a month ago I switched to Dish. Should have done it years ago. Cheaper, more channels I want to see and local channels anywhere. Hookup in RV and home uses Hopper 3 and a Joey and is exactly the same, so just unplug and replug. No changing settings or remote reprogramming. Directv wasn't easy to deal with before AT&T and after the buyout was impossible.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
YEAH! ABC is back for me! Still no CW but I don't believe I have ever watched anything on CW. It was still broadcast in SD and I just can't stand that picture. I also have no idea what shows are on other than older re-runs.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Belgique wrote:
Re: I noticed last night, it could have been there before, that ABC East (396) and West (397) are back along with CW Plus (394). I never watch CW so I don't know if there was east/west versions before or if CW Plus was it.

Me too.

CW name has changed to CW Plus and mine isn't working, but I never watch CW anyway by either name. All of the traditional networks are back as well. I have the East only.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Re: I noticed last night, it could have been there before, that ABC East (396) and West (397) are back along with CW Plus (394). I never watch CW so I don't know if there was east/west versions before or if CW Plus was it.

Me too.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X