Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: DirecTV dropping DNS
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> DirecTV dropping DNS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/20 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's all about the money...again.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/20 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does STARLINK have anything to do with this... Maybe just wait until then come on board... Of course who knows what they will be charging for their service... 40,000 SATS in space probably doesn't come too cheap...

Since everything is so political now about the only thing I get to watch anymore in the WX CHANNEL

Roy Ken
King George VA

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/20 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've had DirecTV service with DNS for over 15 years. My DNS service is grandfathered at BOTH coasts. I just spent about an hour on the phone with Dish and when I get a few other bits of info together (Getting my RF MOGUL antenna changed over) I'll be switching over. DirecTV has done it for me. The last straw.

I have an RV with 2 TV's and a stix 'n brix with 2 TV's I'll be changing over. Two DirecTV receivers and no recorder right now, but am considering adding a recorder. Can any "old" (experienced, not age, LOL) hands with Dish give me some suggestions as to what I should be looking for? We don't use the RV and home at the same time, so it looks like just switching the necessary boxes back and forth would be the best way to go. Any insights from the "old hands" would be appreciated.

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/20 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Dancing Network Station?
Distant Network Service. NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox over air stations from New York City and/or Los Angeles from any locations where you can get satellite reception.

DancinCampers

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/20 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have DNS out of LA, have not received anything from DISH. (Yet!)

Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2006 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox Aventa II, SMI Silent Partner

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

DancinCampers

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/20 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting article:

broadcastingcable.com

I do not know what actually, if anything, ended up in the final bill signed into law, but imagine I will on June 1.

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/20 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pigman1 wrote:

We've had DirecTV service with DNS for over 15 years. My DNS service is grandfathered at BOTH coasts.

Same here - this is going to be the last straw for us.

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

was_butnotnow

Fulltime: Emery, SD

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/20 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone called them to ask if they are going to make it easier to switch local channels via zip code? There is a phone number in the email to call with questions.
OK I called and asked if they were going to make it easier to change to local channels when traveling. He understood and said that was a good question. I explained they know how many people have this service and that they will move to Dish if they don't do something so we can just call to change service. He took lots of time researching and came back with I would have to put in a move order to move my service address. I told him in the past I have been able to call with a new zip and it was changed. I asked if there was a special dept I should ask for when calling in? Didn't know of any. Told him he should take this up the line with employee suggestion so as to save thousands of customers. We'll see.
Has anyone had success calling in to change local channels in the past?

* This post was edited 04/29/20 02:45pm by was_butnotnow *

Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle Hitchitch.com
Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com

was_butnotnow

Fulltime: Emery, SD

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/20 02:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Off-topic but I got a chuckle when I got an email from DirecTV that said they were going to give me NFL Sunday Ticket for FREE. Ya like there is going to be live football on this fall. And I don't even care to watch the NFL.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/20 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

was_butnotnow wrote:

Has anyone had success calling in to change local channels in the past?
Yes, and my experience was totally different from yours.

I've been asked to provide a specific street address, not just a zip code. Also, it usually took several calls to get it done. The operator may not know what I was asking. Or, if she did, it would take many minutes and then she would say "Ok, you should get your stations now but it may take a few minutes." So I hang up, and after a few minutes, a few hours, or days it would not be done. Then call back and start over. Not a pleasant experience.

I also got the move request story, and I just hung up and tried again until I didn't get it.

I got fed up with this hoop-jumping and just switched my service address to Los Angeles, figuring that was the DNS service, and it turns out I was right. I don't care about literal 'locals', I just care about any network feed I can get.

As for calling in questions, I find that to be a colossal waste of time as I don't think any operators really know what they're talking about, or even have the same story.

I understand you can do all this online with DISH. That would really be nice.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> DirecTV dropping DNS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.