Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class B camper Van
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
somertime

River Falls, WI

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/20 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are wanting to downsize to a used van camper/ nearly new. What are some things to watch out for or advice you have for us. Thanks for your time.

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/20 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wanting to downsize? Rent a B and camp for a week. Camp in your favorite places. Hopefully two or three days will have rain. Then you’ll know if your wanting is realistic.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/20 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a Pleasure Way Excel...loved it. 20/20 hindsight is great. Wish I had it now.

The only thing I had to deal with was a 10 gal black tank and pull-valve was very close to the ground. Other than that one issue, it was fantastic. Traded that and a Class A on one Class C to cut costs and maintenance. Wrong!

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/20 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We downsized to a B. There are a lot of nice ones to choose from with different features. We ended up with the Winnebago Era because of the layout, a larger fridge (DW has celiac disease so must be GF), good storage (relatively speaking [emoticon]), Truma Combi heat/hot water system and probably others. We are much happier in the small unit than our previous DP just because of the flexibility it provides when traveling. I find our black tank only lasts 2 people 3 days but it isn't a huge issue. Our chassis is the Sprinter 3500 so weight is not a big issue for us.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/20 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LadyRVer wrote:

Had a Pleasure Way Excel...loved it. 20/20 hindsight is great. Wish I had it now.

The only thing I had to deal with was a 10 gal black tank and pull-valve was very close to the ground. Other than that one issue, it was fantastic. Traded that and a Class A on one Class C to cut costs and maintenance. Wrong!

My wife and I also had a Pleasure-Way Excel. Very well-built, and very nicely finished. We used it as a day traveler and it never gave us a moment's problem. Consistent 15-16 mpg as well, which was nice.

Prior to purchasing it, we looked extensively at other B's, and found the PW to be our best choice. Surprisingly enough, the one that seemed the poorest quality build was the Airstream Interstate.

Trekkar

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/20 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Wanting to downsize? Rent a B and camp for a week. Camp in your favorite places. Hopefully two or three days will have rain. Then you’ll know if your wanting is realistic.

x2. We truly enjoy our class b, but it isn't for everyone. Try one first! It's a lot of money if it doesn't fit your needs.

2001 RoadTrek 190

DougE

New Braunfels, Texas USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/20 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One crucial item is the length of the bed. I'm 5'9" and have to sleep diagonally. Not good if you're not a solo camper! Most Class B's have both the head and the foot against a vertical surface.

2005 Leisure Sprinter Class B/2015 Honda CTX700

fullmoonoversalem

Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/20 12:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did downsize from A to B and love it. My advice would be to decide what you want to do and then look at what is out there. For instance, do you want to overland, winter camp, type of battery, solar, heating system, generator, etc.

Seeing that you are in WI, you might like to have one that is good for winter camping. I do wish we have been able to get a 4 season like the Winnebago Revel, but the layout is not that good for someone with disabilities. We ended up with a Galleria from Coachmen and love it. We went cross country and back, towing a 16 foot trailer (AK to NY and back) and it worked really well.

I had been thinking of converting to Lithium batteries, but after last winter decided not to do so. Too cold up here in Alaska. If we had a place to plug in and run a heater yes.

There are smaller C RVs out there that are excellent too. Good luck with your search.

2017 Coachmen Galleria

hoosiermark

Batesville ,Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/20 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might want to join these two facebook groups Carrado & Sunlight Owners and Hymer Aktiv Owners and wannabees. They have a world of good information. group members repeatedly state they find it a very helpful and truthful information source. I think there is also one for Winnebago B owners but I am not a member of that. We bought a Hymer Sunlight Van one last August and love it. 7,000 miles already and would have lots more accept for the flu issue. We bought a cheap unit but it has lithium battery and underhood generator. We wanted a unit to determine if we were "B" people and then plan to move to a deluxe model when we know what features we really want. But so far this one is great. We have two single beds or a large bed. We like the singles for the nightly bathroom trips. No crawling over each other. We had an A and a C before but we find we are more scamper people rather then stay and camp people. Good luck in your research.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/20 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have lot of variables to compare.
My Sprinter ClassB feels bigger than the first ClassC I used 30 years ago and feels more comfortable than Truck Camper we still have.
But feel is relative aspect and B has smaller holding tanks and can't beat storage on basement model of TC.
Sprinters also come in extended versions, where 18" adds a lot and I have seen B with slide.
So long way from converted Chevy van to extended Sprinter with slide.
My main reason for going from TC to B is more desire for fast travel since our sons spread in 2500 mile radius.
Compare 10 mpg on TC to 22 mpg on Sprinter.
600-800 miles between fuel stops.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.