cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mopar Flat Tow Wiring Kit for 2018 Jeep Cherokee Wobble ??

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
I hope to get some clarity on whether the Mopar Flat Tow Wiring Kit is needed for our vehicle to be flat towed. Apparently it maintains power to the power steering while being towed to avoid the "death Wobble" issue. Owners brought this issue to Mopar's attention and this Flat tow wiring kit is their bandaid. I have found many contradicting bits of information.
  • Seems Mopar always recommends but at our cost, more of a CYA move than based technical merit. (it's odd that Mopar says can be flat towed but a modification is needed to do so...)
  • Some forums don't know so recommend anyways to be safe.
  • Some forums say not needed, they have never experienced the problem.
  • Some forums put Jeep in RUN while towing so power steering is powered.
  • Some forums say yes.
  • Some forums say the flat tow kit is necessary IF you are experiencing the wobbling.
  • Some forums say it is solely due to issues with front suspension.

We have a 2018 Jeep Cherokee Latitude w/ 2-Speed Power Transfer Unit (w/ Active Drive II)

Curious if others with same year Jeep have the problem. And whether you have installed the Mopar kit or not.

Note that eTrailer did not mention this when I bought the brackets and brake/turn tail lights wiring kit.

I have in inquiry into Roadmaster as well....
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
3 REPLIES 3

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
Lot of discussion on this and on jeepcherokeeclub.com forum the consensus was 2019 models didnโ€™t need it and you want to have a 12v charge line setup to keep the Cherokee battery charged
Winnebago Access 24V

Y-Guy
There is a great history on this forum, here is a search Death Wobble that might assist you. You may fine the Wrangler in that discussion too, but that is a different issue.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
As of 5/3 I have had no responses.

Thanks anyways...
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow