cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are the $25K lithium battery systems worth their cost?

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I noticed several Class B manufacturers are offering as an upgrade lithium battery systems such as Volta and other brands costing in the neighborhood of $25K or more. Based on what I have learned, the coach manufacturers get rid of the generator, add a second alternator to the coach engine, add some solar panels, 2,000 or 3,000 watt inverter and of course the lithium battery pack. If I'm not mistaken, in order to run the AC using the batteries, a 10K or 11K BTU unit is used. Ostensibly, you should be able to run the AC for a few hours before the battery pack is discharged.

Taking the high cost under consideration, do any of you see the advantage of ditching the generator and switching to this type of system? From what I gather, if you're stationary and the batteries need to be charged you must run your coach engine 2 to 3 hours to charge the batteries. Personally, I don't see any advantage by doing this. For years, I have managed to dry camp for days using 2 lead-acid batteries, 200 watts or less of solar panels and running the generator about an hour or less every day in the evening.
19 REPLIES 19

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
$25K uplift is ridiculous ! Four Battle Born lithium batteries will give you 400 Ah and cost about $4,000. A good 3000W inverter/charger/transfer switch is about $1,500. Not sure how much solar is, but we haven't deducted any thing for the missing generator.

Air conditioning requirement is the "make it or break it" in the decision game. Personally, I would rather have more solar panels than a second engine alternator, but roof space is limited. I would still carry a small generator (iGen 2500).

Now that 12VDC compressor refrigerators exist, where are the 12VDC air conditioners ?

Would this mini split AC do the job while using less power then regular rv roof unit?

https://youtu.be/OmOkQerIITk

Reisender wrote:

Iโ€™m sure there is some ancillary equipment involved but Iโ€™m not sure how that compares to a Tesla Power wall which is 6500 for 13.5 KW. And they have built in inverters...

Was thinking the same thing?

Tesla Powerwall

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
8700 watts hours would compare at about 670 amp hours. For just a battery off the shelf that would be expensive. Fully integrated system, OEM install, warranty and a bit of profit gets you to the price.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
gemsworld wrote:
Reisender wrote:
How big are these battery packs. Capacity wise and dimension wise.

I found this info at a Winnebago Travato dealer. The Travato offers the Volta Pure 3 System.

"Under 200 lbs. the three-module automotive-grade energy
pack provides 8,700 Whrs. Watertight and durable, the steel
housing is the safest in the market. Travato's dedicated 58V
alternator is 2x as powerful as competitors. Its compact
design keeps it out of the way of curbs and road debris."

Iโ€™m sure there is some ancillary equipment involved but Iโ€™m not sure how that compares to a Tesla Power wall which is 6500 for 13.5 KW. And they have built in inverters...I think. Not an expert.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
$25K for batteries? No. Just... no.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Reisender wrote:

I found this info at a Winnebago Travato dealer. The Travato offers the Volta Pure 3 System.

"Under 200 lbs. the three-module automotive-grade energy
pack provides 8,700 Whrs. Watertight and durable, the steel
housing is the safest in the market. Travato's dedicated 58V
alternator is 2x as powerful as competitors. Its compact
design keeps it out of the way of curbs and road debris."

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
A DIY system could be done for probably 1/3 the cost if you are inclined.
Just skip the generator and related power components when you order and roll your own system.

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
To me, paying $25,000 for hi-tech batteries is a MUCH more expensive, but the same as paying $10 ea. for Nitrogen in your tires.

Tim

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I have a generator but I donโ€™t love my generator. Noisy, polluting, heavy, requires oil changes. Available but seldom used. Last thirty days of camping...no unloved generator needed.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
No early adoption for me. Too expensive and impractical. I love my genny, plus it could power my house in an emergency.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 6.2 gasohol V8 makes a lot less annoying noise idling vs my โ€œquietโ€ 3500rpm Honda

The Torqshift trans has a pto provision.

Wonder how many watt a/c alternator (generator) I could drive with the truck engine & a pto?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
where are the 12VDC air conditioners ?
You mean the ones that pull 115 amps?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman