cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Passenger side convex tow mirror source

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I gotta do something about the passenger side visibility on my old dually. Originally it had the stock small towing mirrors which were worthless. I upgraded to a cheap set of the big rectangular tow mirrors, but they're flat mirrors and visibility is still limited.

I've tried the convex stick-ons, and they just make it worse. Yes they widen the field of view but the image is too small to make anything out. I need the whole mirror to be convex like a normal vehicle.

In looking for a convex mirror I am having a hard time finding definitive information. Does anyone have a link to a passenger mirror that is FOR SURE a convex mirror?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.
12 REPLIES 12

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I've tried to find passenger side flat mirrors for all my trucks with non towing mirrors. Found out passenger mirrors are required by law to have a convex design. I guess thats why towing mirrors come split with a small flat mirror to back with and a convex mirror which for me is worthless for anything.

I've used these folks before when replacing busted mirror glass https://burcoinc.com/
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's an 02 Chevy 3500 dually according to his profile.
Puma 30RKSS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^This.
The answer is somewhere between $3 and $300.

Yes the newer trucks with big tow mirrors and integrated spot mirrors are great, but little stick on convex mirrors work as great as they always have as blind spot mirrors.

You donโ€™t need to read the license plate on the car in your blind spot. Only need to know if something is there or not.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Stock reg mirrors or camper style? What brand of truck? Aftermarket ones?
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
I went with a passenger side camera with a monitor on the dash. I get a great side view and don't have to turn my head so much.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Passenger side mirrors are standard equipment. On Amazon lookup mirrors that you like and ask a question.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
rrupert wrote:
There are lots of aftermarket mirrors available online.

Yes, I know, but the advertisements are vague as to whether the mirrors are convex or not.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Had this on my Silverado over 15 years

Convex 4" x 5 3/8", covered most of the mirror

https://www.amazon.com/VAM-Convex-Mirror-Trucks-Adhesive/dp/B01GIR8T8I
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
I have the extendable heated mirrors on my 2012 F150. They have the lower convex mirrors that can be manually adjusted separately from the main mirrors. The passenger side's main mirror is also convex. There are lots of aftermarket mirrors available online.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Simple physics. Convex mirrors make an image smaller. The only way you could get a closer to normal image size is to find a mirror that is less convex or more flat.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder if retrofitting a set of stock Ford truck extendable mirrors is possible. They stick out far enough to see around the 5th wheel, and the lower mirror is convex. Great views.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just wondering how having a large convex mirror will affect using them while backing into a tight campsite.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT