cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cd's into zip drive so I can play them in new car

path1
Explorer
Explorer
How do I get cd's to a zip drive, so I can play them in our newer car that has no CD player.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
29 REPLIES 29

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
easy peasy. first cars have a usb port, not a zip drive, so it's a "thumb" drive your looking for

1) put your CD's on either Itunes or Google play through your laptop. then copy them to a thumb drive and plug it into the USB port on the car.
2) just plug your ipod into the usb port and in most new vehicles it can be accessed just like you do on the ipod.

The above work on my 2015 Denali, my 2020 acura mdx a neighbors accord and our daughters ford edge.

or (3), there are a still a few cars with single slot CD drives either std or available to install that integrate with the existing audio. Some Acuras (our 2020 MDX has a CD drive)and audi has a CD drive, Honda has a CD drive you can install on many models. you might check out that option.

On the Acura I have an ipod plugged in, but I'm in the process of copying my CD's to the HDD in the car, HDD capacity 500GB, takes about 5-10 minutes to copy a CD to the HDD, so it's going pretty fast.

Or last option, for <$50 you can get a cd player that runs on 12V or usb and has audio out that will plug into many of the new cars audio in port. Virtually all cars I've seen with no CD player have in addtion to a USB port a analog audio input jack.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I upgraded to Iomega ZIP drives thinking I was all that and a bag of chips.
A few months later a co-worker walks in with a JAZZ drive ... and the game was on!
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
AsheGuy wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Now I'm curious... I have a USB ZIP drive somewhere, I wonder if I load a paltry 250mb of audio files on a disk, would my truck read it?
No.

??? I used Media Monkey to copy all our CD collection (~150 CDs, 9GB) as mp3 files to a USB drive the size of my thumbnail and the last three cars I have had all play play them with no problem at all. Depending on how new the car is, you can play them randomly, by artist, by album, etc.
A Zip drive isn't a flash drive, thumb drive, USB drive, whatever you want to call it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Now I'm curious... I have a USB ZIP drive somewhere, I wonder if I load a paltry 250mb of audio files on a disk, would my truck read it?
No.

??? I used Media Monkey to copy all our CD collection (~150 CDs, 9GB) as mp3 files to a USB drive the size of my thumbnail and the last three cars I have had all play play them with no problem at all. Depending on how new the car is, you can play them randomly, by artist, by album, etc.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree wrote:
No.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
The ioMega ZIP drive was an external floppy drive that used removable cartridges for data storage.

Oh the memories! I remember it well. The year was 1995,and we were stuck with the slow floppy's with only 1.44 mb. Then comes Iomega with 100 mb. We thought we died and went to storage heaven, but they were expensive. But the true nerds bought them in droves.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just download to my phone and stream em thru my hearing aids. Of course Deb can't hear them but I sing to her a lot....:B....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

path1
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. . Yep op has no idea what he's talking about. But all the replays I should be able to get it figured out. :):

Thanks to all replied.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Don't understand your question. Zip drives were made primarily by Iomega. They required ZIP discs. There were a few utilities you could use to write files to them - Iomegaware was one, WINZIp was another etc.
My question is, isn't a zip file utility different from a zip drive?

I remember using Winzip to compress a file, but I don't remember having to use anything called a zip drive to store them, which is how I'm reading your post.

Yes, ZIP is a compression technology used to make ZIP files.

The ioMega ZIP drive was an external floppy drive that used removable cartridges for data storage.

The two are not related or connected.

ZIP files are still used today, ZIP drives are not.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Even the native SmallSquishy (MicroSoft) Media player may be able to do it.

Also Depending on the radio. it may be able to use one of two (or 3) types of plug in cd players UBS,, Special connector single, or special multi changer.

I have so many CD's here I once tried to catalog them and overloaded the device I was saving the spread sheet to.. And some of them.. YOu won't likely find anywhere.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
Don't understand your question. Zip drives were made primarily by Iomega. They required ZIP discs. There were a few utilities you could use to write files to them - Iomegaware was one, WINZIp was another etc.
My question is, isn't a zip file utility different from a zip drive?

I remember using Winzip to compress a file, but I don't remember having to use anything called a zip drive to store them, which is how I'm reading your post.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
JKJavelin wrote:
Does the car have an SD card slot? Or a USB reader? My 2018 truck has a USB input in the console. I put a bunch of CDs onto an SD card, and using an SD to USB adapter, I play them through that.
JK

^^^^. I loaded CD's onto my computer and then sent them to a USB. Not all CD will allow you to copy. Thousands of free songs on the internet you can download.

Of course you will need a USB slot in your vehicle.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Oh you guys! I love how literal and snarky this forum is. Got a good laugh from this thread.

For the OP, you can use Windows Media center to "rip" your CDs into MP3 files. Then copy those files to a USB flash drive and plug it into your vehicle.

My new truck has TEN! USB ports on it, but only one 12v outlet and no where to connect a CD player either.

It works happily with USB flash drives however.

A USB flash drive is also sometimes called a thumb drive or a jump drive.