Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: RV Pet Stop: Traveling with a Fish
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Traveling with a Fish

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Reflections4

Memphis

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/20 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for your input[emoticon]

ndrorder

Southwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/20 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A bubbler isn't required, if you get a betta fish. They've adapted simple lungs and will gulp air from the surface of the water. It will travel just fine in a plastic bag that is half filled with air. Dealers send fish all over the world in this manner. If you get the fish from a mom and pop pet store, I'm sure they'll show you how to close the bag there is plenty of air without using a compressor or breathing into it. While you're there, they would probably give you a few bags and rubber bands if you ask. Then, travel with the bag in the bathroom sink so it doesn't roll around. Refresh the air in the bag when you stop for gas or to eat.

Reflections4

Memphis

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/20 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok thank you...I think the air filter was in response to if we got a cold weather fish. Do you know if there are battery powered warmers for a travel day with a Betta that was cooler?

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/20 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SDcampowneroperator wrote:

battery powered air bubblers are easy to find , they are common for minnow buckets.
ebay, walmart, Frabill 2.2 gal. direct. cheapest best insulated minnow buket aerator they have a lid

Except a 10% kill rate in bait is acceptable.

Yes, fish are shipped but not repeatedly with only short breaks between travel and even then there are losses.

I used to keep a few aquariums and no it's not a good idea.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/20 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Frabill website says 2 D cell batteries last up to 50+ hours. Does not say what brand batteries
I have kept up to 2 dozen minnows in one for 24 hours with only a couple dying. Betas or guppies are much hardier, oxygen and temp.wise. As well, you are aerating only a couple of fish, not dozens.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't let your son's want for a fish eclipse the cruelty of what you are proposing to do. This is a bad idea. The movement and unstable environment is unhealthy and at best case miserable for the fish. I mean, it's bad enough they already spend their life in a few cubic inches. Teach your child a different lesson - one that shows that it's better to show empathy for animals than allow them to suffer for your amusement.

I have raised fresh and saltwater fish for decades - always raised never plucked naturally and always with massive tank sizes. An RV is no place for a fish. When you plan your routes - include visits to aquariums instead.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Don't let your son's want for a fish eclipse the cruelty of what you are proposing to do. This is a bad idea. The movement and unstable environment is unhealthy and at best case miserable for the fish. I mean, it's bad enough they already spend their life in a few cubic inches. Teach your child a different lesson - one that shows that it's better to show empathy for animals than allow them to suffer for your amusement.

I have raised fresh and saltwater fish for decades - always raised never plucked naturally and always with massive tank sizes. An RV is no place for a fish. When you plan your routes - include visits to aquariums instead.

Excellent advice. Some creatures shouldn't be bounced around in a moving vehicle.

2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Teach your child a different lesson - one that shows that it's better to show empathy for animals than allow them to suffer for your amusement.
One of the kindest most thoughtful posts on here, ever.

agteacher

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a goldfish when in college. Moved him multiple times. Put him and water in an old miracle whip jar with holes in lid and set that in fishbowl. When got to location, poured all in bowl and added fresh dechlorinated room temp water to fill. He lived the whole time I was in college and a couple years beyond.

camping buddies - my husband,">
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Traveling with a Fish
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.