Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: High end gasser or entry level DP
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> High end gasser or entry level DP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/20 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few years ago we went looking for a class A but only wanted to spend 50 to 75 thousand. A few DP's that we looked at did not ride as good as some gas ones. One was even louder. We went with an older gas. We only go about 8 or 10,000 miles a year but have never stayed more then 2 weeks anywhere.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/20 10:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had both gas and diesel. I won't own another diesel.

Noise can be ameliorated by adding air tabs.

Ride can be improved by going to a spring shop and having modifications made.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/20 04:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We’ve had both. DP is certainly nicer to drive, because of the quiet and the air ride. Maintenance is significantly more complex and expensive. Advantage DP during the driving portion of your travels.

The quality of the house is what matters during the parked portion of your stays. Things like insulation, dual pane windows, ducted air and better materials and cabinetry make living in it a more pleasant experience. Advantage for better brands like Newmar or Tiffin (whether gas or diesel) vs most of the lower tier brands.

Spend your time touring a bunch of units. Sit inside with the HVAC running and listen to the TV or have a conversation. Look inside the cabinets and bins. And drive them. Only you can decide what features are important for you.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/20 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The one thing that rarely gets mentioned in the gas vs diesel debate is what size MH do you want. If you want a smaller size MH to travel to NP's,Sp's,or NFS CG's in the 30 -34 ft range I would look at something like the Tiffin Baystar. If you want something larger in the 37-42 ft range then look at a DP. Another thing to consider is performance on hills A 38-40 ft DP with 300 HP that weighs 30,000 lbs will not perform as well as a 30-34 ft gas MH with 362 HP that weighs 15,000 lbs. A gas chassis will have the sane eng in any length. A DP in general will have less HP in the shorter lengths. It is HP to weight ratio that will determine the performance. Every choice is a trade off and I think people in a 24 ft TT, TC or DP all enjoy their camping experience.

PhilipB

MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/20 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My uncle debated this some years ago when Newmar made the Mountain Aire in gas and dp. This was prior to current diesel emission. I said go with the DP. Heavier chassis, air brakes, Allison transmission. Cost was about 10K more new. He opted for Ford gas (460 with tag). His choice, but probably wouldn't have been mine.

2015 Ram 2500
2013 Raptor 310TS

Tinstar

McKinney, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/20 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ever consider a high end used diesel. I'm not talking about a 2018 Prevost but you can get a nice "newer" model for the money you are talking about (from what I gather). Some folks would never consider a used one but that's something you'll have to figure out. Good luck.

">Never pass up a chance to go somewhere">

luv2tup

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/20 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having moved on from an F53 with a 460 gas MH with steering and suspension modifications, I'll never go back after trading up to a DP. They just don't compare. Some will say DP maintenance is a challenge, but if you're comfortable turning wrenches, I haven't experienced any significant obstacles versus a gasser. It's all relative.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I choose a high end Gasser when I got mine... THe reason however had more to do with me than you.

Most folks, about all they know about cars and trucks is "The fuel goes in the fuel tank and the money comes out of the wallet"..

Well I have some training as a mechanic. Gas engines only. So I went with Gas because some repairs I'm qualified to do and some thing I can diagnose even if I have to hire the repair.

Some years into this rigs' 15 years It started misfiring. Because I have driven gas engines since my early teens (Starting with a Ferguson TO-30 farm tractor, backing a trailer in between two buildings around an "S" Curve to get there loading about a ton of political promises and then heading out to spread 'em around (Manure spreader in other words) Though you'd like the joke.

Well I heard the misfire.. My wife.. Could not hear it..

Two cylinders had been chewed (ignition primary) some electrical tape bit of solder. 2 new plugs (They fouled) and no more misfire.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Two cylinders had been chewed (ignition primary) some electrical tape bit of solder. 2 new plugs (They fouled) and no more misfire.

Ahhh...see...NOW you're making the point for the DP guys! I've NEVER heard of a diesel misfiring because of bad plugs or plug wires, so that's ONE thing you never had to worry about with a DP! LOL

And, yes, I DID appreciate your humor!!! I was wondering where you were going with that! Thanks for the laugh. LOL

~Rick

* This post was edited 05/03/20 11:23am by Rick Jay *

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (22-Angel, Lexi96.org), 1 girl (17), 2 boys (19 & 16).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$147 for a diesel engine oil change. Outrageous.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> High end gasser or entry level DP
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.