Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: High end gasser or entry level DP
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> High end gasser or entry level DP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

I would choke if I was charged $300 for an oil change----I get complete service including diesel generator, all fuel filters, air filters, grease everything, for less than that---I am in central NC and get it done at a big truck place once a year, early spring.

Even though, I said I wouldn't, when we got the Diesel, in the end, I decided to go it myself.
Greasing is as bad as our old P32 gasser, but the rest, is not near the job, I thought it might be.
Last time around, I changed the fuel filter in the genset too.
Thing is about having someone else, doing your work, you really don't know, unless you're standing right there with them.
Quick story and when I once had a garage grease my P32, I told the manager to have the tech give me a count on the fittings he did, as I knew exactly how many there were. When completed, I asked again for this info. He calls the tech over for the answer, which was...MUCHO!...!

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

timjet

Land O Lakes, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/20 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From the title of this thread, I would never buy an entry level anything. You must determine gas or diesel but consider you can afford a DP and a quality one if you go back enough years. We purchased a 10 yo quality DP and had it inspected, especially the chassis, and have not been disappointed. The ride is soft and comfortable, conversation easy even after almost 100,000 miles.
2007 and earlier eliminates the DPF and DEF hassles.

Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/20 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timjet wrote:

From the title of this thread, I would never buy an entry level anything. You must determine gas or diesel but consider you can afford a DP and a quality one if you go back enough years. We purchased a 10 yo quality DP and had it inspected, especially the chassis, and have not been disappointed. The ride is soft and comfortable, conversation easy even after almost 100,000 miles.

What you are saying makes sense and I had thought of going older to get a higher quality coach. The issue is floorplans. A high end DP older than 7 years doesn't have the floorplans to support 3 adults (2 parents and a 17 yr old) and a work space (I work remote full time) to full or even part time. Seems like all the higher end units - even newer ones- cater to 2 people only. Entry level DP's seem to cater more toward families. Of the hundreds of floorplans I have scoured in coach years over the past decade, there are really only a few that will work for us. I had even thought of going with a 15-20 yr old Prevost and gutting it to make it what I want but, I don't have the time, the space, or the ambition for a project like that. While quality is important, our hierarchy is floorplan, reliability, then comfort and quality. There is also the thought that a 10 yr old coach will start to need mechanical things replaced/fixed sooner than a 5 yr old one. What is in our budget and floorplans are high end gassers or an entry level DP's. All that said, DW and I have started looking more into the mid level DP's. They seem to hit most of what we are after but they start to creep out of our initial budget. We may be changing our budget. I don't want to have regrets with this coach, wishing we should have spent a little more to get that coach we liked more than the one we bought.

On edit - there is also the issue of financing. Originally we thought we would sell the home and full time. That would have allowed us to buy a lot more coach. We've changed our minds and keeping the house until my son decides where he wants to go to college. So our budget has changed and so has our need for financing. The older the coach, the more difficult if not impossible to get financing. I think most banks won't lend on an RV older than 10 years - and if they did I imagine terms would be poor.

* This post was edited 05/08/20 06:20am by way2roll *

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/20 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2nd mortgage or a line of credit on your home lets you keep your home and buy what you want, Usually interest this way is less than conventional financing also

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/20 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

2nd mortgage or a line of credit on your home lets you keep your home and buy what you want, Usually interest this way is less than conventional financing also

If you have the equity. Loan to value requirements for HELOC's are usually 80% or more. We just built this home 2 years ago. While we are in a hot/resort area and have some equity, it's not nearly enough. We would have to almost own the home outright to leverage enough equity to buy a MH. We also plan on selling this house within the next few years and I'd like to keep the equity in tact. We did use this tactic on our old home which we had almost paid off - but we were in that one for 12 years.

This transaction will be using savings for a substantial down payment and conventional financing.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/20 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drive a lot of assorted motorhomes at work. I've found that you tend to get what you pay for. In the gasser catagory I find that there is more engine soundproofing in Newmar and Tiffin than Winnebago, Fleetwood, and Thor. I've found that diesels have quiet engines in the back and smoother rides but the less expensive units (Thor) tend to have more wind noise and rattles.

If I was doing a few trips a year I'd get a gasser. For full-timing I'd get a diesel.

I prefer Tiffin products overall because they just feel right.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/20 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

timjet wrote:

What you are saying makes sense and I had thought of going older to get a higher quality coach. The issue is floorplans. A high end DP older than 7 years doesn't have the floorplans to support 3 adults (2 parents and a 17 yr old) and a work space (I work remote full time) to full or even part time. Seems like all the higher end units - even newer ones- cater to 2 people only. Entry level DP's seem to cater more toward families. Of the hundreds of floorplans I have scoured in coach years over the past decade, there are really only a few that will work for us. I had even thought of going with a 15-20 yr old Prevost and gutting it to make it what I want but, I don't have the time, the space, or the ambition for a project like that. While quality is important, our hierarchy is floorplan, reliability, then comfort and quality. There is also the thought that a 10 yr old coach will start to need mechanical things replaced/fixed sooner than a 5 yr old one. What is in our budget and floorplans are high end gassers or an entry level DP's. All that said, DW and I have started looking more into the mid level DP's. They seem to hit most of what we are after but they start to creep out of our initial budget. We may be changing our budget. I don't want to have regrets with this coach, wishing we should have spent a little more to get that coach we liked more than the one we bought.

On edit - there is also the issue of financing. Originally we thought we would sell the home and full time. That would have allowed us to buy a lot more coach. We've changed our minds and keeping the house until my son decides where he wants to go to college. So our budget has changed and so has our need for financing. The older the coach, the more difficult if not impossible to get financing. I think most banks won't lend on an RV older than 10 years - and if they did I imagine terms would be poor.

We bought a 2006 National gasser in 2018 and financed for 15 years (on purpose, and in 2 years we have paid the loan down by 40% - that was the plan), and to date have only spent about $1300 to fix things that have broken. We have bought new tires and batteries (normal wear items) and upgraded the fridge to a residential unit, but if you get a motor home that has been well taken care of with all the proper maintenance performed you shouldn't have the problem with lots of stuff breaking. So personally I would have no problems buying an 8-10 year old DP.

Just my 2 cents....

Al

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/20 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW and I are really liking what we see in the Winnie/Itasca - Forza/Solei lineup. I think the fit and finish is better than a lot of entry level DP offerings (Pallazzo, Sportscoach, FR Legacy, FW Excursion), a few of the floor plans would work. The price point is a little higher than we initially budgeted, but still significantly less than Newmar or Tiffin. I like Tiffin and Newmar but they just don't offer floor plans that would work, or decor we like. In the past few years, Winnie has stepped up their game to offer a more modern decor. I feel like Newmar and Tiffin still gravitate to a more traditional style - nothing wrong with that, but it's not for us. And they are highest price of all the brands - sans custom.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/20 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our personal experience:

We had a 32' Itasca Sunrise for 14 years, which came loaded with everything Winnebago could put on a gasser. Lived in it for a while after retirement. Loved that MH with a passion. It was somewhat noisy, but after we did a little extra insulation in the roof cap, it was fine. Ride was very smooth after we installed Bilstein shocks. The overall quality of that MH was truly amazing to us.

We traded her in, very reluctantly, for a 2018 Winnebago Forza 34T, and our shakedown cruise was to Alaska and back. The ride is smooth, yes, but a good wind or a passing semi on a two-lane road will knock her around even worse than the Sunrise. We're having to install some kind of stabilizer to stop that. As for noise, it's just as loud as the Itasca was. Why? Because Winnebago Does. Not. Install. Insulation. in the front cap. Zip. Nada. We will have to do it ourselves again. The storage is not near as good as it was in the Itasca, and the overall layout is not near as comfortable. I really do like the fireplace, though. Finally, the 34T can't pull anything heavier than could the Sunrise (both limited to 5000 lbs), so why did we even bother?

The cons of this MH over our beloved Sunrise are too many to mention. Frankly, if I could, I'd get my old Sunrise back and lose the diesel MH. I'm honestly not seeing the overall value.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go for a used high end gasser, one that can pull a toad heavier than 5000 lbs if you need it. Good luck in whatever you choose.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Randolph Scatt, tabby cat
Rudy, ginger cat, missing but not forgotten
Spotacus--Rainbow Bridge

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/20 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wanderlost wrote:

Our personal experience:

We had a 32' Itasca Sunrise for 14 years, which came loaded with everything Winnebago could put on a gasser. Lived in it for a while after retirement. Loved that MH with a passion. It was somewhat noisy, but after we did a little extra insulation in the roof cap, it was fine. Ride was very smooth after we installed Bilstein shocks. The overall quality of that MH was truly amazing to us.

We traded her in, very reluctantly, for a 2018 Winnebago Forza 34T, and our shakedown cruise was to Alaska and back. The ride is smooth, yes, but a good wind or a passing semi on a two-lane road will knock her around even worse than the Sunrise. We're having to install some kind of stabilizer to stop that. As for noise, it's just as loud as the Itasca was. Why? Because Winnebago Does. Not. Install. Insulation. in the front cap. Zip. Nada. We will have to do it ourselves again. The storage is not near as good as it was in the Itasca, and the overall layout is not near as comfortable. I really do like the fireplace, though. Finally, the 34T can't pull anything heavier than could the Sunrise (both limited to 5000 lbs), so why did we even bother?

The cons of this MH over our beloved Sunrise are too many to mention. Frankly, if I could, I'd get my old Sunrise back and lose the diesel MH. I'm honestly not seeing the overall value.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go for a used high end gasser, one that can pull a toad heavier than 5000 lbs if you need it. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Great feedback, Thanks! That's really the overarching question. Does an entry level DP handle and ride quieter and more comfortably than a high end gasser? Otherwise, why spend the money. Once things loosen up I am really looking forward to driving lots of both back to back for a true comparison. I can tell you our ACEs were miserable to drive. Loud and rough is an under statement. It felt like we were in a bombing raid. But they were as entry level as you could get.

BTW - love your Gandhi quote - my wife has that on a T-shirt.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> High end gasser or entry level DP
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.