cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Settting up 2020 Wrangler for flat tow

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
We just purchased a 2020 Wrangler Sahara JLU. We traded in a 2014 Wrangler JKU that was setup for towing. The older Jeep had a blue ox tow bar and hitch and we also had the Mopar wiring harness installed for the tail lights. I also have a 2015 Wrangler JK that has the same towing setup as the 2014.

Since I do already have the 2015 setup for towing, I'm not sure if I am going to go through the expense to setup the new 2020 Jeep, although it is sometimes nice to have the 4 door Jeep when we bring our nieces.

For those who have setup a JL Wrangler for towing, what are your setups? I have heard that with the addition of the electric steering on the JLs that additional wiring is needed to make sure the power steering is active during a tow to keep the front wheels from oscillating.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)
2 REPLIES 2

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
dsteinman wrote:
The JL's do not need additional wiring for the electric steering since it is actually hydraulic steering but uses an electric pump instead of a belt driven pump. Some Jeeps like the Cherokee are fully electric and they have the problem.

David

I did not know that. Thanks for that information. I had read about Cherokee's having the issue and when I saw that the Wranglers had electric steering, I just assumed it was the same.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

dsteinman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2019 JLU Sahara. I installed the Mopar wiring harness and Roadmaster baseplate. I would have used the Cool Tech wiring harness, but I didn't want to use a switch. I have not road tested the setup yet. We also have a 2012 JK setup for towing

The JL's do not need additional wiring for the electric steering since it is actually hydraulic steering but uses an electric pump instead of a belt driven pump. Some Jeeps like the Cherokee are fully electric and they have the problem.

David
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited