Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Settting up 2020 Wrangler for flat tow
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> Settting up 2020 Wrangler for flat tow

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/20 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just purchased a 2020 Wrangler Sahara JLU. We traded in a 2014 Wrangler JKU that was setup for towing. The older Jeep had a blue ox tow bar and hitch and we also had the Mopar wiring harness installed for the tail lights. I also have a 2015 Wrangler JK that has the same towing setup as the 2014.

Since I do already have the 2015 setup for towing, I'm not sure if I am going to go through the expense to setup the new 2020 Jeep, although it is sometimes nice to have the 4 door Jeep when we bring our nieces.

For those who have setup a JL Wrangler for towing, what are your setups? I have heard that with the addition of the electric steering on the JLs that additional wiring is needed to make sure the power steering is active during a tow to keep the front wheels from oscillating.

Burch

2018 Miramar 35.3
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500
3 fur kids (Monty, Lola and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy)

dsteinman

Los Alamos, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/20 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2019 JLU Sahara. I installed the Mopar wiring harness and Roadmaster baseplate. I would have used the Cool Tech wiring harness, but I didn't want to use a switch. I have not road tested the setup yet. We also have a 2012 JK setup for towing

The JL's do not need additional wiring for the electric steering since it is actually hydraulic steering but uses an electric pump instead of a belt driven pump. Some Jeeps like the Cherokee are fully electric and they have the problem.

David

2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/20 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dsteinman wrote:

The JL's do not need additional wiring for the electric steering since it is actually hydraulic steering but uses an electric pump instead of a belt driven pump. Some Jeeps like the Cherokee are fully electric and they have the problem.

David

I did not know that. Thanks for that information. I had read about Cherokee's having the issue and when I saw that the Wranglers had electric steering, I just assumed it was the same.

Burch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing  >  All

> Settting up 2020 Wrangler for flat tow
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.