Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: I-40 traverse from Asheville, NC to Gatlinburg, Tn
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> I-40 traverse from Asheville, NC to Gatlinburg, Tn

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Imbriaco

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/20 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone who's traveled this stretch of I-40, I'm wondering how the road is overall (winding, hilly, etc) for a 37' 5th wheel. We've been through the Smokey Mtns but not with the 5th wheel, but only looking to get over to Gatlinburg and then day trip through Smokey Mtn NP.

This is a pick up and pack up (from Tucson) our graduating youngest daughter from Virginia Tech. Taking the 5th wheel to eliminate the need for bathrooms, restaurants and hotels. And enough room to pack her stuff!

Thanks for any info!

stallsmi

Northern Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/20 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends on your tow vehicle. But we've travelled that route a few times with our 32' travel trailer and F250. No problems if you take your time and expect to go slower on some steep inclines.

Imbriaco

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/20 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stallsmi wrote:

It depends on your tow vehicle. But we've travelled that route a few times with our 32' travel trailer and F250. No problems if you take your time and expect to go slower on some steep inclines.

2001 F350 with 7.3 Powerstroke. But being an older truck, I don't have exhaust brakes. Don't mind going slow but I do like to be able to stop.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/20 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I40 does not go anywhere near Gatlinburg! Take I40 west from Ashville to Hwy 66 South through Sevierville and Pigeon Forge to Gatlinburg. Those roads are doable towing your 5th wheel. Alternatively, you can take Hwy 321 from I 40 direct into Gatlinburg.

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/20 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We traveled the other direction 2 years ago with the RAM 1500 with 5.7L v8 Gas w/air suspension and 34' TT (not 5th wheel). I can't remember anything particularly concerning or problematic. I'm vigilant about using the transmission to slow down on downhills and keep my foot off the brake as much as possible, never riding them occasionally stabbing them to slow down if necessary.

Hopefully goes without saying, but fwiw take into account how much "stuff" you're picking up and where its placed in the truck and fifth wheel. Weight and balance can make a huge difference.

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/20 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few curves and very little up and down. You should have no problem with that route. We drove it last spring. Visited relatives in Asheville and then went to PF/Gatlinburg for some rest.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/20 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in the area and have taken this stretch many times. You are going through the Pigeon river Gorge and trucks are limited to the right lane. Just get in behind a truck, keep a good following distance and use your tranny gearing to keep your speed down. It's an interstate so there are no hairpin turns or switchbacks but it is mostly down hill from Asheville and it has many curves and you will need to take it easy. Its not terrible. I have a 2500 gaser and I manage just fine.

Where in G'burg are you going for your stay? You can take exit 440, Wilton Springs, and connect to 321 to go into G'burg. You can take exit 435 if you want a Walmart to stop at before going to the campground. It leads to 321 also. Any other questions just ask.

* This post was edited 05/02/20 05:21am by ken56 *

Imbriaco

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/20 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

I live in the area and have taken this stretch many times. You are going through the Pigeon river Gorge and trucks are limited to the right lane. Just get in behind a truck, keep a good following distance and use your tranny gearing to keep your speed down. It's an interstate so there are no hairpin turns or switchbacks but it is mostly down hill from Asheville and it has many curves and you will need to take it easy. Its not terrible. I have a 2500 gaser and I manage just fine.

Where in G'burg are you going for your stay? You can take exit 440, Wilton Springs, and connect to 321 to go into G'burg. You can take exit 435 if you want a Walmart to stop at before going to the campground. It leads to 321 also. Any other questions just ask.

Thanks very much for the reply! Hopefully staying in either Twin Creek RV Resort in Gatlinburg or Pine Mountain in Pigeon Forge. Confirmed that both are open, and I'll presume not very busy.

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No prob other than closure of 1 lane from time to time (closed the other day according to the traffic sign I saw). Road is great. And I echo about staying away from Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge unless you like the touristy trap stuff. If that's the case, youll be in hawg heaven there.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/20 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Between the 2 parks Pine Mountain is nicer but Twin Creek is closer to G'burg if G'burg is your choice to stay in. Things are pretty slow around here these days as most things aren't fully open yet.

If you decide on Twin Creek then take exit 440 or 435, either one and pick up 321 all the way to the CG. If you go to Pine Mountain then go to exit 432 and take 411 into Sevierville. You will go by Bush's Beans on 411 and its worth a stop or something to go back to. Nice little museum and cafe for a very good lunch. Great food. They close at 4.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> I-40 traverse from Asheville, NC to Gatlinburg, Tn
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.