Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Dish Hardware
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

 > Dish Hardware

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
pigman1

Delaware

Senior Member

Joined: 06/28/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/01/20 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking for some Dish hardware recommendations with the current upcoming cut off of the DNS service by DirecTV. I'll definitely be going over to Dish but I'm looking for some receiver and recorder recommendations that are being used by long time Dish subscribers. I have 2 TV's in the RV and also have 2 TV's in my home. I'll be moving the Dish boxes from home to RV when we travel. I understand there's a Wally receiver and a Hopper Duo. Since we've never had a recorder this whole process will be new to us. My RV antenna is an RF Mogul that will require some LNB's and arm hardware, but that part seems a pretty easy change over. Any help on picking receivers and/or recorders anyone can give would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.


Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

2oldman

New Mexico

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/01/20 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Belongs in Technology.

Rather do all that rather than take your chances on changing your locals ad hoc?

* This post was edited 05/01/20 02:36pm by 2oldman *

swphotobug

varous

Full Member

Joined: 11/22/2014

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 05/01/20 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just switched for other reasons, just good timing. Talking to Dish was hopeless. The local dealer was easy to deal with. She gave us a Hopper 3(which is updated on a regular basis by Dish), roof unit on our RV lot roof. We need to move our traveller over to Dish. I emailed Winegard, and they told me I needed:

You have the SK-SWM3 Trav'ler. To convert a DirecTV SK-SWM3 Trav'ler to work with DISH service, you will need to change out the head of the antenna to make it work with DISH. Please call our Customer Support team at 800-288-8094 and order parts RP-SK11, and RP-SK21.
You can order parts on our website using the links below as well.
https://winegard.com/products/satellite-tv/roof-mounted-antennas/travler/dish-bell-hd-travler-replacement-reflector
https://winegard.com/products/satellite-tv/roof-mounted-antennas/travler/dish-bell-hd-travler-feed-arm-with-lnb-cable

I bought both on Amazon and the dealer will install. I don't know why Winegar needed to know this. I still need to ask them how to get the control unit updated.

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

Senior Member

Joined: 12/27/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/01/20 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DISH user. I use a Winegard Pathway X2 auto align carryout dome. $400.

It enables you to select the eastern or western arc sats which are in different areas of the sky which gives you options when fighting trees, mountains,etc.

It does not support the Hopper Joey combo. I use a 211Z sat box. You can add a USB hard drive for basic DVR function.

DISH is much more RV friendly than DTV.

You can reauthorize your sat box from your phone for instance. You can change locals daily if you need to.

I have a roof dome but haven’t used it in years.


My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

swphotobug

varous

Full Member

Joined: 11/22/2014

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 05/01/20 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is the conversion/installation video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp_99D7XRug

TechWriter

On The Road

Senior Member

Joined: 12/22/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/01/20 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pigman1 wrote:


My RV antenna is an RF Mogul that will require some LNB's and arm hardware, but that part seems a pretty easy change over. Any help on picking receivers and/or recorders anyone can give would be appreciated.

Since you'll me moving your DISH receiver back and forth between home and RV and since you'll have a DISH RF Mogul, then I suggest a Hopper 3 DVR.

It's a much more capable receiver than a 211, Wally, or Hopper Duo.


2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

TechWriter

On The Road

Senior Member

Joined: 12/22/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/01/20 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

swphotobug wrote:


You have the SK-SWM3 Trav'ler.


OP has an RF Mogul, not a Travler.

rr2254545

Central Minnesota

Senior Member

Joined: 07/12/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/01/20 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pigman1 wrote:

I'm looking for some Dish hardware recommendations with the current upcoming cut off of the DNS service by DirecTV. I'll definitely be going over to Dish but I'm looking for some receiver and recorder recommendations that are being used by long time Dish subscribers. I have 2 TV's in the RV and also have 2 TV's in my home. I'll be moving the Dish boxes from home to RV when we travel. I understand there's a Wally receiver and a Hopper Duo. Since we've never had a recorder this whole process will be new to us. My RV antenna is an RF Mogul that will require some LNB's and arm hardware, but that part seems a pretty easy change over. Any help on picking receivers and/or recorders anyone can give would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
t

since the law changed Dish will not have DNS either - why are you changing I have directv what am i missing


2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee, Air Force One, Blue Ox Avail tow bar
374 Campgrounds,85K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 1858 nights camping since we retired in July 2009


2oldman

New Mexico

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/01/20 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rr2254545 wrote:

since the law changed Dish will not have DNS either - why are you changing I have directv what am i missing
x2. It's the law now, not just Directv. Should be easy to verify.

Trump administration have anything to do with it?

TechWriter

On The Road

Senior Member

Joined: 12/22/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/01/20 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rr2254545 wrote:


since the law changed Dish will not have DNS either

We don't need it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

 > Dish Hardware
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.