cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning solar panels on an RV

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
How many of you clean your solar panels? If you do, how often? Do you just turn a hose on them or do you actually clean them?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.
9 REPLIES 9

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Hard to measure, trackrig, unless your system is in the bulk charging phase.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Trackrig wrote:
OK, for those that clean them, do you notice any performance differences afterwards? And, yes I realize that from one day to the next, the sunlight isn't going to be exactly the same.

Bill

No, but I have shade tolerant panels that are a triple junction design, and no glass. Maximum output remains at 17 amps at solar noon. The panels are from 2005.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Duplicate post
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, for those that clean them, do you notice any performance differences afterwards? And, yes I realize that from one day to the next, the sunlight isn't going to be exactly the same.

Bill

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
About twice a year for this guy. I use a ladder to get close then use squeegy with a sponge on one side, and mild detergent. They get DIRTY!
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful squirting cold water on hot solar panels. Iโ€™m a weekly cleaner...early in the morning.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had solar on my houses for over 7 years. The SoCal home I sold last year, I had to climb on the roof and brush them off 2-3 times a year. The NoCal home I own now is in a less dusty environment. I only get up there once a year. I use a soft bristle broom that has a hose attachment. Water flows through the handle and out the brush head. I will use it on the RV as needed.

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, i get on the roof and clean the solar panels every couple of weeks; dirt, dust, pollen, etc can reduce the charge to your batteries significantly! Iโ€™ve seen some solar panels completely covered !in dirt!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Bill,

I wash them once per year with a soft cloth and a mild soap solution.

I wet them down and let them soak. Then I use the cloth and mild soap. Then I rinse with water.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.