cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resealing the Edge of the Roof, Dicor, Eternabond, or Both?

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
I'm about to do some re-sealing to the roof edges on our travel trailer, to ensure no water damage. Attached find two images of the edge of the roof. I have a tube of Dicor Non-Leveling, Non-Sag Lap Sealant, which I have had very good luck with in the past. The TT is a 2011 model if that matters.

Where the roof material comes over the edge of the roof, you can see in some places there is cracking and slight separation of old caulk. I would like to cut and remove the separated caulk before re-caulking, but I am very concerned that it will be hard to do that without scoring or cutting the roofing material underneath.

So do you think I should just run a bead of my Dicor along there to cover and refresh the old caulk? Or should I instead overlap the edge with some Eternabond tape? Or, should I perhaps refresh the caulk AND then once cured, apply Eternabond over the edge?

Looking for any suggestions or advice with this project. Thanks in advance!

upload pictures internet

13 REPLIES 13

Carvhors
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Those that take Eternabond over the edge to the gutter - did you remove the plastic screw cover or leave it in place?

I removed it. This allows the Eternabond to also seal the screwheads that are holding the aluminum gutter/trim on.

Carvhors
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Those that take Eternabond over the edge to the gutter - did you remove the plastic screw cover or leave it in place?

I removed it. This allows the Eternabond to also seal the screwheads that are holding the aluminum gutter/trim on.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I elected to use Eternabond along all the edges in my Class C many years ago - my 91 is still leak free. When you apply eternabond pay attention to the "prep" work as it requires a clean surface to properly bond. You should remove the loose caulk ... if you elected to remove all the caulk (not mandatory) I would recommend that you use an oscillating tool with a special caulk remover blade (rounded flexible blade that isn't sharp and won't harm roof membrane).
Kevin

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:
Regarding picture number one, remove all you can, use Dicor self leveling, let it cure and then tape.

No Self leveling on a vertical surface, us non sag. I use plastic scrapers to clean off old calk on the roof, with rounded corners and work carefully.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
The last 2 units we bought (a TT, then our C in late 2018), one of the first things i did was use a roll on the roof at all seams...where vents/skylights are, and on edges front and back. Why? Got tired of small leaks here/there on an older unit, and when i just Eternabonded the seams on that roof, it stopped. Now, I feel the time/cost is worth it up front.

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
Same here, went around all the edges of the roof with Eternabond, it comes halfway up from the gutter, 4" tape. 1st thing I do on any RV I get.
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
Regarding picture number one, remove all you can, use Dicor self leveling, let it cure and then tape.

Yep. It's easier to wait for a warmer day. It's more pliable. Use a flexible putty knife to remove the old caulk.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, for all your responses! Much appreciated!

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I wrapped Eternabond all the way down to the gutter on my trailer about 15 years ago. It's been more or less bullet proof. The only caulk I removed was to give the tape a smooth surface to adhere to. I glommed a couple layers of tape over the those corners, then used a little self leveling caulk on the edges.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

mrquacker
Explorer
Explorer
Watching this, 'cause I gotta do the same this.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
It might come up without cutting it just grab and pull. I've been able to use that method of two different RV's and it works fairly well. If it is a real bear to pull up I would just caulk over it. I have used and like Eternabond, but I've never wrapped it around an edge like where you have the cracking.

As far as the big puddle of caulk in the back corner, I would definitely caulk over. It looks like there is a low point there and the manufacturer filled the area with caulk to prevent a standing water puddle that would be more prone to leak.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup