cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Android vs Apple

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is like asking which is better a Chevy or Ford. But my android phone is on its last legs. I have had android phones since the beginning and they have served me well. But my kids think I should change to an apple phone. I will admit I do like the facetime feature. But I don't think that by itself justifies switching.
I don't stream movies. Photo capability is nice but I have been able to work with what I have. I live in a fringe area so strength of signal is important. So my question is, for those of you who have had both, what are pros and cons for switching from android to apple.
39 REPLIES 39

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hereโ€™s some reviews of $400 iPhone SE vs $400 Galaxy A51. A51 looks good but surprisingly no Optically Stabilized Camera:

https://www.cnet.com/news/iphone-se-vs-galaxy-a51-camera-comparison-which-phone-is-best/
https://www.cnet.com/news/how-iphone-se-compares-other-2020-budget-phones-pixel-3a-galaxy-s102-a51-s...
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Jackathan wrote:
Apple tells you what you want. Google lets you choose.

well stated,
bumpy

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Both my phone and tablet are android. Previously, my tablet was an iPad. Unfortunately, it was stolen last year together with my vehicle. While I like my android phone (Samsung Galaxy J3, and find the android tablet to be OK, I do prefer the iPad and iOS system. Trouble with Apple products, is I think they're just too expensive.(my original iPad had cost me about $500, years ago). The android tablet (RCA Viking Pro) was only about $80, compared to the hundreds an iPad would have cost. That being said, I still feel the Apple product was better, for reasons I won't get into here. If my RCA tablet becomes defective, I'd probably opt for the iPad again, regardless of the exrra cost.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
There is a like app (or several) for android but since I do not like that feature... I can't tell you what they are.

I'm anti-apple due to stuff that happened a long time ago which I won't go into here as well.. it's not an RV issue.
But I have heard that applie I-phones .. if you use the wi-fi mobile hotspot feature to connect devices to the internet via the i-phone.. May give you headaches. (Actually I know what they are and how to get around 'em)

No such issues with my Samsung Galaxy S7

I'm anti-apple due to stuff that happened a long time ago which I won't go into here as well..

I was thinking maybe they did to you what they did to me. I had 90 gigs of music in VLC. I thought I would copy it into Itunes to see if I liked it. As soon as it was done copying the music, it went over and deleted all the music in VLC. I had detached the original drive so I lucked out there they couldn't get to it. I admit a lot of the music was torrent'ed, but still, it left a sour taste in my mouth. Once you put your music in Itunes you can't get it out, but I suppose it's a moot point with modern streaming services.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Jackathan
Explorer
Explorer
Apple tells you what you want. Google lets you choose.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
jrs1871,

Unfortunately newer android phones have to be taken apart to replace the battery. A sales lesson they learned from Apple.

While true it's not too bad. I've replaced a couple in iPhones and can tell you the hardest part is dealing with the tiny screws that holds the battery down ! The batteries come with all the tools including the screwdriver which looks like a tiny Torx head driver. First thing you need to do is put the driver on a magnet and magnitize it. If you drop one of those tiny screws you'll probably never find it. Tons of YouTube videos on how to do it.

They all basically come apart the same way. I even replaced the battery in my Samsung tablet which was basically the same process as the iPhone only bigger. If you're handy don't be afraid to do it.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
The bottom line is all of them work. If you go Android your Apple friends can install Google Duo on their iPhones which is Googles answer to FaceTime.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Aficionado
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking for an obd2 scanner, I would suggest you check Innova Scanners. Most of its scann tools are compatible with all vehicles manufactured from 1996 and newer. SO you will never go wrong with this one.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
jrs1871,

Unfortunately newer android phones have to be taken apart to replace the battery. A sales lesson they learned from Apple.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. They have given me food for thought and I appreciate both the pros and cons. As I said, we live in a fringe area so provider choice is limited. We have been with Verizon and its predecessors since the beginning. US Cellular also has a decent signal in our area but not so much so when we are traveling.
At this time, it looks like I will stay with android. One of the convincing factors is you can get more phone for the money. And I like the option to add a memory card and switch out the battery if needed.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
If you can live with an older generation iPhone check with your local AT&T for promotions. About 2 years ago they had the iPhone 6S, which can do everything I need it to do for $125. The catch was I had to sign up for their streaming service for one month. But I didn't have to pay for one month. The salesman said "just cancel the service when you get home ". Which I did. They probably have a similar promotion now and if you don't need the latest and greatest it works great. On the other hand if you require the latest phone you're gonna have to pay big bucks, something I refuse to do for any phone. Only downside is it won't be able to get 5G. But who knows when that's gonna happen in our area.

As to which better, it's a matter of taste. We have Apple, or friends have Android and everybody's happy.

Heck my daughter has one of those inexpensive Google phones and really
likes it!
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

I was a Android fan for years until I got my hearing aids. I switched to Apple iPhone as they would connect directly to my hearing aids. Between my wife and I we now own a Apple device of orchard.

โ€œHappy Trailsโ€
Chiefneon

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:

It has one feature I think is very valuable for the older crowd that allows their children to keep track of them.

That feature is find my phone. .

a good reason to get android.
bumpy

A similar feature is readily available for Android as well. My wife and I can track each other as needed. It is user controllable though...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like to tinker with the devices so Android would be the more likely route but we went the iPhone route years ago since they had the better camera at the time. The iPhone has been very reliable and has done everything we wanted including tethering our laptop, acting as a hotspot, working with our cell phone booster in remote areas, and doing wi-fi calling in remote areas with wi-fi but no cell signal.

The security is good on iPhones and one report a few years ago said 97% of mobile phone malware was in the Android eco-system.

The downside of iPhone is the O/S sometimes lacks the options I am looking for, for example I run in low-power battery mode all the time for max battery life, and the option shuts off at 80% charge with no way to permanently enable it. So have to keep re-enabling it. ITunes is useless also. I have all my own CD collection and have converted them to 320 kbit MP3s but the only way to get them in the phone is via the iTunes program. Drag and drop would be much easier like on Android.

No external mini-SD card expansion slot is a huge disadvantage of iPhones also. As is their proprietary lightning connector versus USB-C.

About 2/3 of friends and family are on iPhones
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak