cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DISH TV - Locals

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for more information about switching to DISH from DIRECTV now that the Distance Network channels are going away on June 1st. I have read about people using an APP to change their local network channels. Here are my questions -
1 - Is it true you can use an app to change your NBC, CBS, ABC, & Fox channels when you move locations?
2 - Is there a limit to how many times you can make a location change?
3 - Can you suspend and reactivate your service on the app?
4 - is there a limit to the number of times per year that you can suspend your service entirely?
5 - is there a minimum amount of time that your service must be turned on for? i.e. one month?
6 - is it activated by calendar month i.e. the 1st or can you turn it on on the 18th of the month?

I'm going to be asking DISH these questions too but like to have some real world information before contacting DISH or Directv.

Thank you for your time.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited
22 REPLIES 22

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Ed_Gee wrote:
Read about Dish's Pay as you Go service here:
Sounds good, but I didn't like the part about having to have a dish installer.

NOT TRUE,
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

rhagfo wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
Our Flex Pack (50 channels) plus locals is $54.99/month.
Not bad.

I'd probably need more, like Smithsonian, TCM..etc. I'll have to snoop around some more because I haven't yet found exactly which channels are in which package.

I believe we have Americaโ€™s top 250 and pay about $110 a month, as stated before we full time now. Service has been great, only get washed out once in a while.

We do the Americas top 120 plus, with locals, news, showtime, starz, epix, and I think ours was $135 last renewal...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

2chiefsRus wrote:
I am looking for more information about switching to DISH from DIRECTV now that the Distance Network channels are going away on June 1st. I have read about people using an APP to change their local network channels. Here are my questions -
1 - Is it true you can use an app to change your NBC, CBS, ABC, & Fox channels when you move locations?
2 - Is there a limit to how many times you can make a location change?
3 - Can you suspend and reactivate your service on the app?
4 - is there a limit to the number of times per year that you can suspend your service entirely?
5 - is there a minimum amount of time that your service must be turned on for? i.e. one month?
6 - is it activated by calendar month i.e. the 1st or can you turn it on on the 18th of the month?

I'm going to be asking DISH these questions too but like to have some real world information before contacting DISH or Directv.

Thank you for your time.

1- The App works great, you can change locals, change programming, pay bills
2- no limit
3- get Dish for my RV.. Its a 30 day plan, at the end of 30 days just do not pay the bill... The service will automatically stop until the bill is paid,,, NO cancellation fee's
4- no limit, we stop our hear and there... no issues
5-with Dish for my RV the plans are 30 days each
6- No, If you pay the bill on May 10th, you will have service till June 10th
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We use a manually aimed 3 satellite dish for our Dish Hopper w/Sling (Hopper 2) and it typically takes me less than 15 minutes to set up and dial it in using a signal meter. The same setup would work for a Hopper 3 if we decide to upgrade. We've been using this dish setup since 2008.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
May have to move from DirecTV to Dish. (Love being able to record 5 channels at once w/DTV) But want more than 1 receiver to record with what the Wally HD will only do. I see the Hopper 3 won't work with the Portable dishes only the Wally. I wont to be able to record many more channels at one like the eHopper 3 will do. Sure could get the Hopper 3 with a regular dish antenna. Like I do now with DTV. Wally HD just doesn't offer enough for me.
Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
I believe we have Americaโ€™s top 250 and pay about $110 a month
I'll need them all.

Does anyone know if Dish receivers have signal beeps when aiming the dish? Do they also have a signal strength display?

Yes if your doing a manual dish I believe it gives you signal strength tone in the settings menu Most donโ€™t mess with a manual dish as the portable auto dish are pretty cheap and no effort.
Bill

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
I'll need them all.

Does anyone know if Dish receivers have signal beeps when aiming the dish? Do they also have a signal strength display?

Our Wally doesn't make any sounds when the automatic antenna is doing its thing (we use a Pathway X2) - but I can watch the progress of everything on the TV screen. It tells me exactly what step it's on and there's a progress bar. When finished, I can make sure the system has acquired all three satellites (eastern or western arc with the Pathway X2) and see what the signal strength is. I don't have to do anything but watch.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
I'll need them all.

"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
Not bad.

I'd probably need more, like Smithsonian, TCM..etc. I'll have to snoop around some more because I haven't yet found exactly which channels are in which package.

I believe we have Americaโ€™s top 250 and pay about $110 a month, as stated before we full time now. Service has been great, only get washed out once in a while.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
We have Dish with the tailgator antennae. Itโ€™s completely portable, just point it somewhat south on a kind of level surface and it does the rest. Itโ€™s pretty tolerant of bad weather too. The plans are month to month with a huge variety of stages/costs. Most of the time we get the cheapest and move up a notch in football season. Everything can be done from the phone ap and billing stops by simply not paying the last one. When you get ready to restate just pay the bill. Super easy.
It doesnโ€™t work in Canada or Mexico because of national laws. I canโ€™t get mine to work in Alaska because I canโ€™t get it high enough.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
You can compare all the packages and see exactly what channels are included here:
Ah thanks. Looks like Smithsonian only comes in 'everything', which is a few bucks more than DTV. I quit SHO, HBO, Starz years ago because everything was just repeats.

I really don't want to switch, having to learn all the setup over again, but if DTV axes my LA feed I might be tempted.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
One good thing is flex pack allows you to change at will and add or subtract sub packages like a โ€œnews pacโ€ movie pac etc for just days or weeks with prorated charges. Std packages require I
believe a monthly commitment. dish has package comparison charts on their web sites , so you can see and compare what they offer.
Bill

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
Not bad.

You can compare all the packages and see exactly what channels are included here:

Compare Dish Packages

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
Not bad.