cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Android question

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't want to disturb the Android vs. Apple topic so thought I's start my own - I've got a Samsung Galaxy S5 with 16 GB of memory, and an additional 16 GB microSD card installed. Is there any way I can move some of my installed apps from the internal memory to the SD card? The internal memory is close to full, but the SD card is almost empty, and I can increase the size of the SD card at will if I start to fill it up.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004
18 REPLIES 18

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ericosmith wrote:
cleo43 wrote:
Problem with Android, every manufacturer has its own way of doing thing.

That's why I love my Pixel
My sentiments exactly, I have been a Google apps fan from their beginning. Pixels do not have all the unwanted apps on top of Android.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

ericosmith
Explorer
Explorer
cleo43 wrote:
Problem with Android, every manufacturer has its own way of doing thing.

That's why I love my Pixel

cleo43
Explorer
Explorer
Remove the apps you don't need. Some of the apps can't be removed, but can be desactivated, cache cleared.
Also when installing new app - and when the memory is full - you will be asked to install on the SD card (hope so). Problem with Android, every manufacturer has its own way of doing thing.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dutch_12078 wrote:
The "All-In-One" app has a tool that will locate all the apps that can be moved to the SD card with just a couple of taps. It's also handy for cleaning the cache and has a number of other useful tools.

I use the all-in-one tool box myself. What Dutch said.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
How to:

Moving Android apps to SD card

Rob

Samsung way back at the S4 model timeline modified their
OS to limit what can be saved and run from external storage. Some of the other major phone manufactures/carriers followed suite, too.

Most Android flavors since the S4 era have these ext storage limitations-if the phone was acquired from a major phone carrier.

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone - I think my best option is to update the phone. This old Galaxy S5 still works, I get a full day out of the battery and charge it every morning so I hate getting rid of it but I might just have to bite the bullet and upgrade.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
How to:

Moving Android apps to SD card

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Much easier to move storage (photos being the most common). Typically you can set the camera to save to SD card.

Some apps can be moved to SD card but a lot can't. If you are bumping up against the limits this is a temporary solution.

Really 32GB is really the new base standard as apps get bigger and more numerous.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I had this problem and found that some apps can be moved to the SD card, but for me many could not. I gained a lot of space by moving or deleting photos from internal memory and setting the camera to use the SD card for storage.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

ericosmith
Explorer
Explorer
Go to "storage" in your settings and look at what is taking up the space. You may find any number of things taking up a lot of space that you could delete or move. Virtually nothing gets saved on the SD card by default so you may need to tweak settings for photos, music, etc.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The "All-In-One" app has a tool that will locate all the apps that can be moved to the SD card with just a couple of taps. It's also handy for cleaning the cache and has a number of other useful tools.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
Didn't want to disturb the Android vs. Apple topic so thought I's start my own - I've got a Samsung Galaxy S5 with 16 GB of memory, and an additional 16 GB microSD card installed. Is there any way I can move some of my installed apps from the internal memory to the SD card? The internal memory is close to full, but the SD card is almost empty, and I can increase the size of the SD card at will if I start to fill it up.

Open up the list of apps, open each app and it will show it being installed on internal memory. If it can be moved to the sd card it will show the option of moving it. I have found that most apps will only work on internal memory and cannot be moved to the sd card.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
swphotobug wrote:
I have tried this and I gain minimal breathing space on storage. Start saving your money for a new phone.

how about getting a larger SD card?
bumpy

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
After I logged off this had shown up in may mail:

https://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-a51-review