Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Continuous generator usage. How long?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Continuous generator usage. How long?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do not run it in an enclosed area! It needs fresh air and have the exhaust properly vented. To answer your question it might last 6 months under continuous usage if they are lucky, it was never designed for that. I sold and serviced portable generators, we saw a lot of them worn right out powering grow ops.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If they can run on batteries, they most certainly don't need a generator that big. Don't need 7000 watt generator if you're running on 1000 watts.

ramyankee

North Idaho/Kootenai Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/20 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

If they can run on batteries, they most certainly don't need a generator that big. Don't need 7000 watt generator if you're running on 1000 watts.

Yes, they can run for a short time on batteries but with no shore power for a short time there is no way to charge.

And using ours as it is the only one available...

Rick and Patti ">
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ">
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oil change every 100 hours.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/20 09:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best advice is to turn it off overnight. If you don't open the refrigerator, everything will be fine for at least 8 hours.

Oil level needs to be checked at least daily.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/20 10:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just keep clean oil and fuel in it and let it run.
Generator is just a machine... it does not get tired, need breaks, or a nap.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 04:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Best advice is to turn it off overnight. If you don't open the refrigerator, everything will be fine for at least 8 hours.

Oil level needs to be checked at least daily.

Run the fridge on propane, so you don't have to shut the fridge down at night.

But as long as the generator isn't being ran at max output, this is near ideal operation for getting maximum hours out of the generator. Engine is warm and plenty of oil throughout the engine.

I would check the oil once or twice a day...assuming no signs of leaks and call it good.

Probably the bigger issue is the fuel bill running 24/7 will get pricey real quick with that big of a generator (assuming the $1/gal gas doesn't stick around)

How long do they expect to do this? A week or two, in a heart beat. 6 months...this would get old and expect to wear out the generator.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only thing you need a generator for is the AC, microwave and charge the batteries. It would be cheaper to get a couple of fresh batteries than run that generator all the time. If they are going to keep the trailer, invest in solar.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most generators have one of two "Maximum contious run time" figures

on that one it's "Till the gas tank runs dry" So you need to use the fuel consumption and tank size For safety reasons you need to SHUT DOWN to Refill.. I've gone to refill and accidently dumped gasoline over the genny.. RUNNING.. I'd have had a serious issue. Stopped.. Well I left it alone for a while and then re-started it (How long I leave to you but you want the gas GONE)

Generators with a remote tank (like my Onan) You should shut down to refill but if the distance is great enough... Make a decidsion.

I've run mu Onan 26 hours a couple times. portables from FUll to Empty more than once. In fact when I get a new portable I fill it. hook up 'Stupid' loads (light bulb or electric heater) and run it dry.. Conditions some electronic parts.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've run on a whole house generator(200A) multiple times for multiple days during power outages too long and too numerous to list. Conserving fuel, and limiting run time are huge. If it's not hot out shut it off before bed. Start it up and run it as little as possible in the morning and throughout the day. I'd rather use it spairingly and have it then go hog wild and have it break down. It should be easier if there are house batteries to fill the gaps for lights, and the fridge.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Continuous generator usage. How long?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.