Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Continuous generator usage. How long?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Continuous generator usage. How long?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/20 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Yes, they can run for a short time on batteries but with no shore power for a short time there is no way to charge.”

In 2020 you claim there is “no way to charge?” S-O-L-A-R.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

garry1p

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/20 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Loaned my 3600W generator to friends who had a major power outage during an ice storm. Ran on their covered front porch 24/7 except to fuel and check oil for 14 days.
I suspect as long as you keep good oil in it it would run just fine for months on end at 7KW it will not be loaded and running hard. They are loud and if any distance to keep noise down be sure and run large enough power line.
It will not be cheap figure 1 to 2 gal per hour depending on load.

Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

edatlanta

Maplesville, AL Home Base

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/20 04:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Just keep clean oil and fuel in it and let it run.
Generator is just a machine... it does not get tired, need breaks, or a nap.

I agree. It was designed to run and if properly maintained and serviced is will run until it wears out.

Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/20 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big old open frame construction generators are very noisy, and will burn a lot of fuel since they run a full speed regardless of the load.

If I were doing something similar, I'd get a Honda EU7000, or a used EU6500.

I have an EU6500 and love it. I found it used on Craigslist.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20, sold 7/28/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

ramyankee

North Idaho/Kootenai Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/20 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Really appreciate all the feedback. I was looking for real world info, not just the brochure info, and I got what I asked for.

Very much appreciated... This is exactly what these forums are for. Real world info...

Rick and Patti ">
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ">
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

ramyankee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/20 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Really appreciate all the feedback. I was looking for real world info, not just the brochure info, and I got what I asked for.

Very much appreciated... This is exactly what these forums are for. Real world info...

ramyankee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/20 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just love it when the server is unavailable when l want to post a comment and have to try and try... Darn triple posts...

Sorry!

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/20 04:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say really need to reconsider the whole mindset...

The only reason for a gen is to run Air Conditioner. You said SW, I think... nights will be cool? Away in the day?

For just a few days you can do whatever, but for extended time (weeks or more) you need SOLAR.

You can run a trailer of DC power, thats battery. You can keep the batteries charged on solar. Usually 200 watts is enough for 2 batteries and light use. If you want TV and laptops and all the lights on then maybe 300 watts and more than 2 batteries. You will need to calculate your amp hour needs and divide by two as you never want to run batteries dead, half-dead is not as bad.

For a stationary trailer you can put the solar on the ground and aim them/ angle them towards the morning sun, or evening sun depending when you will use the most electricity, or move them as needed.

For AC you need a generator (or a cost=prohibitively large bank of batteries). Get the smallest that will run the generator. usually 3500 models will do it.

If no AC then go solar.

If solar, get deep cycle golf cart batteries, or other similar deep cycle. Don't bother with the "marine" batteries that are half car half deep cycle. You want a real deep-cycle. Deep cycle batts will last longer and be able to be discharged many times more than a marine, meaning they won't die.

You will need a charge controller to go between the solar panel and the batteries. Get an MPPT controller (not pwm). They will be expensive compared to the cheap china ones, but really $80-$150 or so is not bad for what you are doing.

Get Mono crystaline panels. Not the flexible ones. The poly are maybe a little cheaper but the mono is better.

I can't imagine trying to run a giant inefficient generator all the time just to have power for the water pump or one light bulb or to charge a phone. What you will save on gas and oil (and price of gen) will pay for a solar system, and your hands wont smell like gas all the time.

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

edatlanta wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Just keep clean oil and fuel in it and let it run.
Generator is just a machine... it does not get tired, need breaks, or a nap.

I agree. It was designed to run and if properly maintained and serviced is will run until it wears out.

These are the only posts that know what their talking about.
And to ad to that, it will wear out after many more hours running continuously, than being shut down every day.`
Having said that, running a genset continuously for the OP's use, is about as ridiculous as as one can get.

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 05:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will say again: the max run time on a generator is determined by the size and location of the fuel tank. If you have a big enough tank. or a remote tank (propane generators or Natural gas qualify here) or a Honda with the Extended run tank.

Weeks on end (With the E/R tank you run till it's empty or near empty. Unhook it an let the genny run with the on board. Remove tank to refill then re-connect.

NOTE: this is not a recommended procedure and those generators are not really big enough for whole house use

But the basic limit is the gas tank.

My Motor Home's ONAN has done several 26 HR runs

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Continuous generator usage. How long?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.