Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Hallmark vs Northstar
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Hallmark vs Northstar

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In that case grab the Hallmark - chances are this time next year you can prob get back every penny you put into it. Obviously the NS is going to lose a big portion of the purchase price to depreciation. If I had only one shot to make it happen I'd choose the Hallmark hands down.

JD5150

Anywhere

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something else to think about is the east/west bed or north/south bed.
29 inches of head room I would rather roll out of an east/west bed.

Seams. Not sure if Hallmark construction has no seams but even if it does have seams, water intrusion is not going to damage it as bad like a wood frame camper. Think the frame is all fiberglass over on a Hallmark

I'm not talking down North Star or his brother Bundutec. They are strong well built campers, but you will need to pay attention to seams on any camper. Especially a wood framed one.

Four Wheel that someone mentioned are good off road campers. I have read the condensation is bad since it is aluminum framed. Would need to crack a vent in any camper but you might need to open it a little more on a Four Wheel. Might have to do a little more wiping down the soft wall in the mornings

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The hallmark could quite possibly have a N-S bed, it's a $3800 option. Also it could have bed extension - another option. The E-W layout reduces the amount of overhang over the cab and consquently eliminates some of the necessary reinforcment in order to hold up the longer cantilever of the N-S bed. The E-W layout is a shorter, lighter, stronger, and less complex build. To my eye the shorter bed looks better.

i did read the review where the 4wc did condensate and the hallmark did not on the same trip. It was a cold weather trip near Artic circle. 2 Fantastic fans should be able to minimize that if used properly. The 4wc is an aluminum frame w aluminum walls and roof.

Sometimes wood or a composite of wood is a better choice when it comes to mimimizing the conduction of heat and eliminating cold material in contact w materials inside a warmer and perhaps more humid enviroment.

* This post was edited 05/04/20 06:53pm by cptqueeg *

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DP Service temporarily unavailable! [emoticon]

ISBRAM

Denver, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/20 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hallmark campers are pricey but the resale on a well maintained one is very good. We were thinking about selling our custom built 2011 Cuchara last summer as my wife wants a Class A. I stopped in at Hallmark to let them look it over and get their opinion on what my asking price should be. I was pleasantly surprised when they told me high 20’s to low 30’s in this condition, “it really is perfect and stored inside when not camping.” I have since seen a few similar units for sale and their asking price was in line with what Hallmark said. I didn’t end up putting it on the market yet but I was happy about what I learned about the resale value.

'99 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins. Roadmaster Anti Sway Bars, Air lift 5000, Stableloads, Bilstein's,19.5 Vision Wheels, 245/70R19.5 Sumitomo ST918
'11 Hallmark Cuchara XL 9.5
If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

LabMan1945

North Central Maine - God's Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/20 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have owned two NorthStar 850SC campers and have found them to be great value. As of last fall I put over 225K miles on them with no problems (other than my fault screw ups!)Rex at NorthStar treated me very well when I showed up at the factory for repairs. Especially when I arrived about 4:00PM on a Friday with a caved in back end - don't ask! He looked at it, said they could fix it and could I be there at 6:00AM Saturday morning. I spent the night in the factory lot and by 1:00PM Saturday I was on my way with a fixed camper. No other outfit that I have dealt with would be that accommodating! I can't say enough good about the company or their product.

Dodge 3500 CTD.
Northstar 850SC
Constant companions - Scoter and Skye - Black Labs (better than most people)

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/20 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LabMan1945 wrote:

I have owned two NorthStar 850SC campers and have found them to be great value. As of last fall I put over 225K miles on them with no problems (other than my fault screw ups!)Rex at NorthStar treated me very well when I showed up at the factory for repairs. Especially when I arrived about 4:00PM on a Friday with a caved in back end - don't ask! He looked at it, said they could fix it and could I be there at 6:00AM Saturday morning. I spent the night in the factory lot and by 1:00PM Saturday I was on my way with a fixed camper. No other outfit that I have dealt with would be that accommodating! I can't say enough good about the company or their product.

This, Northstar is a fantastic company to deal with.[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Hallmark vs Northstar
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.