Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Tire Blowout damage to underbelly
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Tire Blowout damage to underbelly

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
good dogs

Vero Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So the cheap tire shredded before I replaced the whole set. Cut out the fabric undercloth, some bottom flooring and insulation. All under the slideout floor. Did not penetrate to the interior floor but realized the problem after driving in heavy rain flooded the back end of the TT. I can fix the wood and insulation. But can't find the fabric or underbelly material. Forest River is shut down. CW was no help. Anyone dealt with this repair?

Thanks

2001 Newmar Kountry Star 36
Suburban Toad
Brakemaster Supplemental System
Blue Ox Tow Bar and Base Plate

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure what the fabric does, but the underbelly material can be whatever you want it to be, IMO.
If looking for some impact resistance and resistance to cracking in cold weather, I'd consider a thin sheet of UHMW. Otherwise if just water resistance is needed, frp bathroom paneling and some caulk should suffice.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use heavy duty weed cloth for the fabric. Home Depot carries it. It's water proof.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/20 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What jdc1 suggested or you can buy coroplast at the Home Depot too if you want to use that material

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/20 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I covered mine with aluminum diamond plate. You are lucky you did not need to repair any wires or pipes.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/20 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The original material was probably something like this:

https://www.mobilehomerepair.com/mobile-home-belly-repair-tape-flex-mend/

I couldn't add a hot link because of all ongoing issues.

good dogs

Vero Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK. So once I cleaned up the detritus and cut away the shredded mat'l it's not so bad. About a 6" wide strip of plywood and insulation gone. The covering fabric is nothing special. Leftover 2" high density insulation and Tvek wrap from building the house will do the trick.
Lesson learned. Next time I'll crawl under and do a thorough inspection and not just a quick peek. And no, you can't count on the dealer service shop to do anything on an annual check.
The tires that came with the TT were, of course, cheap China imports. Had two failures but have to give the mfgr credit. I got prompt warranty service on both tires. When I told them I did not want a replacement tire as I planned to replace all 4 tires they sent a check to cover all 4. The $80 apiece was about 2/3 the cost of Goodyears. But I'm confident we've got good rubber on the road.

Camper8251

Big Sky Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/20 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could be this too.

https://www.coroplast.com/

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 DMAX
Outdoors RV 23DBS
2008 Arctic Fox 811 - SOLD
19.5 Vision Wheels with
Toyo M608z's 225/70R19.5 14 plys rated at 3970

ksbowman

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I covered mine with aluminum diamond plate. You are lucky you did not need to repair any wires or pipes.

This is basically what I did too. I didn't use the checker plate but, used galvanized sheet metal. Either way if you do both sides full length in the wheel wells you will not have this worry again. Took me about 4 hours to measure, cut for a tight fit, repair insulation and screw in the galvanized sheeting. If you do a search on here I did a post with pictures of how I fixed mine a couple years ago.

stripit

Prescott

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went to the heating /AC company that made duct work and had them cut and bend a piece of metal to fit the entire slide out bottom perfectly to fit under the rubber seal edge. Used sealer to the bottom of the slide out that was torn up by the tire losing a tread. Then installed the metal and screwed it up to the existing wood. Made sure the sealer I used covered all the screws and it was water tight, sealed up and never to have another tire do damage like that. Total costs was under $30 for everything and maybe 1 hour of my time.

Stacey Frank
2013 Tiffin Allegro 34QFA
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Tire Blowout damage to underbelly
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.