cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How inconvenient is a cargo trailer?

iwanttoretireea
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you tow a cargo trailer with your truck camper? And how do you deal with the challenges of lugging it along? I'm thinking of a 10 foot enclosed cargo trailer that will accompany me on longer road trips.

For example:
a) How do you deal with parking in busy lots? You just park farther away? You park the trailer and then the truck? Sometimes there isn't going to be enough room to maneuver right?

b) Let's say you are on a road trip and want to go into a NPS where they do not allow vehicles past a certain length. Where do you leave your trailer?

c) How do you secure your trailer?
37 REPLIES 37

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
iwanttoretireearly wrote:
Truly amazing response! Thanks so much @deltabravo

I kind of have a thing for cargo trailers, especially Wells Cargo. It started back in 1993 when I bought my first one. I have that one until early 2010, then bought a 6x12. Next was the 6x10 that I only had for maybe 8 months.

Here's the 7x12 that I currently have. The last two weeks I've been doing a lot more upgrades to it to better outfit it for my adventures.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

iwanttoretireea
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
How many of you tow a cargo trailer with your truck camper?

I have two cargo trailers: 8.5x20 and a 7x12
I also had a flatbed trailer for my Jeep when I was doing the Jeep thing.
Here's my big trailer, the 8.5 x 20 Race Trailer

I'm thinking of a 10 foot enclosed cargo trailer that will accompany me on longer road trips.

Any 6' wide trailer is a PITA to back up because you can't see it behind the truck and camper until it's too crooked to straighten out.

Any 10' long trailer is a PITA to back up. Because it's so short, it jack-knifes in a heartbeat because you can't see it behind the truck and camper.

When I bought my truck and camper back in 2009, I sold a 6x10 and bought a 6x12. I kept the 6x12 from 2010-2014. I started using it for other things, not camping trips, where I wanted more space so I sold it and planned on getting a 7x14. Instead, my brother let me use his 7x16 for the things I was needing a bigger trailer for (not camping). I hated that trailer because it rode so rough and was bouncy due to the leaf spring axles. (My trailers all have torsion axles) I also didn't like the length because I couldn't pull in a parking lot and park in two parking spaces. The trailer was too long and hung out at the end. I used his trailer from 2014-2016 for my non camping needs, then the need for a bigger small trailer fizzled away, so I never bought a 7x14 as planned.

From 2014-2017, I kept used my 8.5x20 for camping. It's an awesome mobile garage.

Mid 2018 I started going on a few local trips without the 8.5x20, where I didn't need my motorcycles. I was just doing quick weekend get-aways. It killed me not having a trailer for a generator, firewood, lawn chair or other small things, so late that year I found 6x10 Wells Cargo similar to the one I sold in 2010. It was too good of a deal to pass up, plus it had torsion axles, which I explain in this video when I put a lift kit on it.

The 6x10 was cheap enough, I didn't care that it was small and hard to back up at first.

Fast forward to June 2019 and I started looking at bigger trailers again - 7x12 new ones with Torsion Axles, then a friend told me about a friend of his that was selling a 7x12. I bought it, and couldn't be happier with it. It was also too good of a deal to pass up. It has torsion axles.

Here's the 7x12 I bought last year which is my primary trailer now.

For example:
a) How do you deal with parking in busy lots? You just park farther away? You park the trailer and then the truck? Sometimes there isn't going to be enough room to maneuver right?

Trailer or no trailer, truck and camper, or daily driving my Subaru Crosstrek, I ALWAYS park out in the back 40 when I go shopping.

Not sure what you mean by "You park the trailer and then the truck?"
The trailer says attached to my truck when I'm going places.

As far as space to maneuver, parking lots have never been an issue.
I survey the situation and don't put myself in to situations "beyond the point of no return" (place where there isn't room to maneuver)
It's like a 6th sense because I've been towing for so long (since 1993 when I bought the first 6x10 I had). Not many people started towing trailers when they were only 25 years old like me.

b) Let's say you are on a road trip and want to go into a NPS where they do not allow vehicles past a certain length. Where do you leave your trailer?

Leave the trailer at the campground is one option. Sometimes National Parks might have a spot where you could leave a trailer while touring the park.
The only park I have encountered with a length / height / width limitation is Glacier National Park, on the Going to the Sun road.
I was on my motorcycle on that trip, not camping with the truck and camper.

One of the parks in Utah has limitations too, Zion I think.

If I were in one of those parks and needed to use my truck to get around the park, I'd probably drop the camper off the truck for the day, with the trailer behind the camper (blocked in).
But the reality is, I'd probably ride my motorcycle around the park, which is exactly what I did last year when I went to Crater Lake.

c) How do you secure your trailer?

I have never left my trailer anywhere and taken the truck and camper to drive around, so the trailer is blocked in by the truck. The truck, camper and trailer are my base camp for my motorcycle adventures.

I do have a coupler lock for the trailer though.

I honestly wouldn't waste the money on a 6x10 because they are so hard to back up. People always say "go one size bigger than you think you will need, then you won't need to upgrade in two years."
Once you have a trailer you will realize how versatile it is and wish you had more space.
A good example is shown in this video about my EU6500 in my 7x12 trailer.. It never leaves the trailer!

I love the 7x12. I can see it when backing up, the length isn't a hindrance in parking lots because it (and the truck) fits in two spaces. It's short enough where I can basically drive like there's no trailer behind me when making turns.

Sorry this was so long, I didn't expect it to be as long as this.

Reality Check wrote:
I've been towing for so long, so many different trailers, so many places, it's a thoughtless process. Of course you're not going to park at the front of the parking lot. But then, why would one anyhow? Simple trick; always, always, park so that you can pull out regardless of where others park/block. I'm amazed at seeing folks with trailers pull in across 6 spots and then not wing it to insure that they can get out if two idiots parked on either end of them (boxed). Simple stuff.

The above summarizes things quite well!!

Adapt and overcome!

If you are shopping for a new trailer, I'd recommend Torsion Axles if you can find them. They might be a special order at some dealers.

Torsion axles trailers ride so much smoother, and your cargo doesn't get beat up. I can drive 500 miles of highway, etc, and nothing moves inside my trailers.

Truly amazing response! Thanks so much @deltabravo

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I had front hitch on 27' motorhome when I was launching the boat and after couple tries- I could way faster just make U turn and back up with potential correction than changing the hitch would take.
Still at my present house, I put my cargo trailer on side of the house opposite to driveway, so I have to make full U-turn around the house with tolerance in inches. When I did it the first time with rear hitch, DW planted some flowers on the yard and even with 360 cameras front hitch is priceless.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II

I was unaware of length restrictions at National Parks.
With the toad, my rig is about 47-feet long and it's never been restricted - but that could be because of the ability to disconnect and drive away.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Optimistic Paranoid wrote:
A couple of comments:

For many trucks, you can get a FRONT receiver hitch. A lot of people find it easier to unhook their trailer from the back and hook it up to the front of the truck when they have to maneuver the trailer into a tricky spot. WAY easier to see what you are doing that way.

Most trailer coupler locks are junk, easily removed. You can find a ton of YouTube videos demonstrating just how easy it can be. Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMu_GnNnnBE

Both true. We have a front hitch that is used primarily for bikes or hitch rack. Canโ€™t recall I ever used it to move a trailer...but I could if needed. Backing trailers is one of those things, once you do it enough itโ€™s non-eventful.

Coupler locks are notoriously junk (like many locks). I bought one years ago designed by a LEO, that is very robust/low profile. Canโ€™t remember the name. We trust our AirStream to it-so far so good.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
deltabravo wrote:
That's the advantage of an SRW truck.

With my dually, the 6' wide trailers are totally out of site.

Only if you TC was also very narrow. Most TCs stick out the same amount on SRWs because they still have the wings and are wide body. The only difference is the DRW fenders are also out.

I donโ€™t think you could see under the wings on a SRW better than a DRW because the wings are lower than the DRW fenders. Likely would only work on a TC with very high wings.

One more thing, are you talking 6 ft inside with two wheels which puts it closer to 7 1/2 feet or are you talking actual width of 6 ft. Pulling my wifeโ€™s uncle and aunts TT, I found it was a bit of a pain since I could see it except on turns to know if it was doing ok or not. It was a smaller Jayco narrow model which was about 7 1/2 as well.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of comments:

For many trucks, you can get a FRONT receiver hitch. A lot of people find it easier to unhook their trailer from the back and hook it up to the front of the truck when they have to maneuver the trailer into a tricky spot. WAY easier to see what you are doing that way.

Most trailer coupler locks are junk, easily removed. You can find a ton of YouTube videos demonstrating just how easy it can be. Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMu_GnNnnBE

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
ajriding wrote:
Don't advertise what is in the trailer (stickers of you hobby etc).

That's a very good tip.
Seems to be a popular thing amongst the dirt biker / motocross racer crowd is to sticker up the trailer with the brand of motorcycle you ride.

When I bought my black 7x12, removing the stickers was one of my first projects. It wasn't easy, but I made it happen with a lot of work, and a lot of bug-n-tar remover.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
wnjj wrote:
Backing isnโ€™t a problem as I can see the trailer fenders and tires under the camper wings.

That's the advantage of an SRW truck.

With my dually, the 6' wide trailers are totally out of site.
The problem of backing up the 6x10 was compounded by my truck being a CCLB too.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I sense some kind of brain fart on the issue.
Lot of members who carry big box on front have no problem to figure out marker rods on the corners.
How long it will take to figure out marker rods, or lights on narrow trailer :S
For few seasons I used to tow 25' cabin cruiser behind diesel pusher.
On few occasions I enter a parking lot, where I could not turn around. Still not a problem to go 1/4 mile on reverse.
Sending DW to direct did not always work as she likes to chat to young man she meets on the parking.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
7 of us tow trailers.
You drive like any vehicle towing, except the TC blocks a lot of the view.
Don't enter a situation if you think there is no exit. Get out and walk it first.
Park aiming out.
Park far from the store.
Don't go to stores where you can't park, this happens.
Be amazed every time you come back and the trailer is still attached to the truck and nothing is broken into.
Dont advertise what is in the trailer (stickers of you hobby etc).
I would never take the trailer off and leave it. I just forgo being able to do anything/everything because of the trailer holding me back.
Use puck style door locks.

Torsion axles are so much nicer, ride better, work better, smoother... BUT they are harder if not impossible to repair and the axles do bend. A repair usually means replacing the entire axle. Sometimes people weld the axles on instead of bolting on and this makes it a nightmare.
Leaf spring axles are cheap, and individual parts can be replaced. For new trailer I am on Leaf Springs now, having had Torsion ones bend. I just dealt with the bend wearing out tires a little faster bc that was cheaper.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
specta wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
Just to bring to attention, that not everybody is "born to drive".

Bingo!!!! :B

I have a short trailer and don't find backing it up a pain in the ass at all. Its a piece of cake. Practice makes perfect.

Backing trailer is like driving a stick shift, some people can and some people can't.

I marvel at people who can't back their TT into a space. I marvel at how many people don't have mirrors that allow them to even see their trailers. How do they change lanes on the freeway??

Some of the best entertainment is sitting at a boat ramp for a few hours. LOL

Yep. I find no issue with a 6x10. With stock mirrors I canโ€™t easily see everything past the camper even without the trailer but one tiny swerve is easy to do to get a clear view.

Backing isnโ€™t a problem as I can see the trailer fenders and tires under the camper wings. Backing in a completely straight line is a bit more difficult but can usually be managed or simply avoided by approaching at an angle and driverโ€™s side backing.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Just to bring to attention, that not everybody is "born to drive".

Bingo!!!! :B

I have a short trailer and don't find backing it up a pain in the ass at all. Its a piece of cake. Practice makes perfect.

Backing trailer is like driving a stick shift, some people can and some people can't.

I marvel at people who can't back their TT into a space. I marvel at how many people don't have mirrors that allow them to even see their trailers. How do they change lanes on the freeway??

Some of the best entertainment is sitting at a boat ramp for a few hours. LOL
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^What Jayco said is a consideration, but not a deal breaker imo.
Like I said above. Everything is a compromise. TC and pickup is the most features and living space you can pack into a short single vehicle. Super convienent for most everything. Just have to weigh your list of wants and priorities.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold