cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1/2 ton sticker shock

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Found out last night that a co-workers '15 Chevy's tranny let loose on him due to some kinda design flaw (at least that's how I took it). Has something like 160K miles. So he talks to the Chevy dealer and gets quoted $714.00/month for 84 months!!!!! New truck was $70,000.00. Granted it sounded loaded to the 9's, but Holy Smackaroonies......70 grand for a 1/2 ton????? Dealer was going to give him 6 grand for his. Cost to repair current tranny is 3500. Said he'll get 'er fixed and run it till she dies.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
37 REPLIES 37

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
For that price he can get a Ford Super duty diesel. I have a loaded F350 Lariat 4x4 Crew that priced at $70K.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
I keep waiting to be the cranky old guy that can say, "$XX,000?" - that's more than I paid for my first house! We're almost there!!

Lol!
I paid more for my truck 2 years ago than my father paid for his land AND the house he had built on that land that he lives in right now.

BTW my truck is a F150 too. LOL

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I keep waiting to be the cranky old guy that can say, "$XX,000?" - that's more than I paid for my first house! We're almost there!!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Pickups now outselling cars. News

Bedlam
dodge guy wrote:
KD4UPL wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
The people that get sucked into 7-year loans so they can drive a vehicle they cannot afford is a problem. If the co-worker's 1500 still has payments, it may explain some of this high price for a replacement.

Sucked into a 7 year 0% interest loan? Sounds like a great deal to me. I've been considering buying a new 3500 to replace my current dually. I could write a check for a new one buy why when I can use their money for free?

Yep, 7 years at 0%?! I'll keep my money in the bank and let it work while I use their money to buy it.

Five years ago when this 1500 was purchased, seven year loans already existed but I do not recall any zero interest offers back then for that term. Don't mix the past and present - Reread what I what I posted. I have also taken advantage of subsidized loans from the manufacturer in the past, but timing of offers for me has not coincided since 2003.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
84@0% is only a no brainer if you can get the right $ off sticker. Or youโ€™re paying either way.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting replies gang and lots of varied ones at that. I have no idea of his credit score or exactly what he was looking at......heard everything 2nd hand, but reliable 2nd handers. Not that I'm in the market for another truck, but was thinking along the lines of most of the replies that pricing should be more in line of 50-60K. Not knowing his finances either, am thinking his current truck is paid off. Will ask him again tonight if he's shopped around or not and tell him to look for ones that can be had for much less. Lives in the capital district area.

Along the lines of a few replies, I feel as well for the amount of $$$ he was stating for a 1/2 ton, better off w/ a 3/4-1 tonner, but his needs tho don't match it. Most would probly agree that the 3/4-1 tonner would be the way to go, but we ALL HAUL heavy things that require such trucks. For him, it's a daily commuter ride.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

7 year - - 0% loan .... that is a no brainer.... "If it's FREE , It's for ME " And free money is even better.... :B

My 2020 has a 48 month @ 2.9% loan on $20,000.00..only because we have/had our daughters wedding coming in June to pay for..We will pay against principle and pay off in 18-24 months.

I picked it up 1 week before it all went into the tank...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
KD4UPL wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
The people that get sucked into 7-year loans so they can drive a vehicle they cannot afford is a problem. If the co-worker's 1500 still has payments, it may explain some of this high price for a replacement.

Sucked into a 7 year 0% interest loan? Sounds like a great deal to me. I've been considering buying a new 3500 to replace my current dually. I could write a check for a new one buy why when I can use their money for free?

Yep, 7 years at 0%?! I'll keep my money in the bank and let it work while I use their money to buy it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
As mentioned before on this; Dave Smith has sooooo many trucks, the gleam from the chrome can be seen for miles. This dealer contributes about 40% of the county taxes.
It sounds like the dealer in the east is trying to pick some pretty plums.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
70k, go buy a 3/4 ton ๐Ÿ™‚

Cars sales are way way down. Dealers are desperate for sales.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:

CC_Crabman
Explorer
Explorer
I live in the South Texsa oil patch. Lot's of new trucks on the lots and the used trucks are stating to pile up. Soon the repo guys and the voluntary surrenders will begin. Expensive trucks will be hard to sell.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
GDS-3950BH wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
midnightsadie wrote:
shortage? I,m in north east ohio dealer has 150 fords an 175 chevys on the lot.

Here is a link
https://www.carsdirect.com/automotive-news/covid-19-may-cause-pickup-truck-shortage

Perhaps wishful think on the manufacturers and dealers part. You can not force 30 million folks out of work for months (and that has to be a low number because they do not really know the total yet) and not expect it to affect sales of big ticket items causing them to go down the poop shoot. A large percentage of those folks won't even have a job to go back to.

It's not unlike the rosy picture that RVBusiness and the RVIA and RVDA are painting regarding the RV Industry. It's going in the tank also for the foreseeable future. The ramifications of this shutdown fiasco have not even begun to be felt downstream, hold on tight, it's coming. They have to paint it all pretty for the stockholders.

Fiasco, really?