cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Monster Tow Vehicle

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Is this big rig the ultimate tow vehicle?
Melbourne-based, custom-built Scania toy hauler truck can tow up to 30 tonnes(66,000lb)
Most caravanners step up to a big American pick-up or light truck when more regular tow vehicles like the Toyota LandCruiser aren't up to the job.
But the Melbourne owner of this fine-looking rig had other ideas... sick of being overweight in his previous vehicle, a RAM pickup, he started looking around for an alternative.
"I had the RAM, a 6.7lt, and found that we were travelling at 1.3 tonne overweight, with the caravan and the boat on the roof," owner David said.
"My mate has been a driver for Scenic Tours and has always been a lover of Scania and I wanted a 4x4, so we looked around to see what was availableโ€ฆ and ordered a 4x4 from Scania and set it up for retirement and touring."
37 REPLIES 37

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan, please don't let the negative posts bother you as I really like the things you post from Down Under, I think they are all interesting and nice to see how folks adapt and use them to suit their needs even if some folks think they are overkill, heck we get that about our rig until they really learn more about why we do what we do. I have watched videos of the caravans with the carnivals and the circus that travel Europe and even what they have is different nd would like to see more of them and learn why they use what they do. Keep the
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Seems silly to insist on putting the boat on top. Much more logical would be to make the truck into a motorhome and pull the boat trailer...if you want more storage the front of the boat trailer could be outfitted with storage boxes.

Looking at the toys he has, the Dodge never had any issue pulling the toys...just putting the boat on the roof was a problem.

Also, while they might not give him a hassle on dirt roads in the outback, I suspect he will be overweight if he tries to pull 66k lbs... Of course, if it's about chest pounding, I saw a stock toyota tacoma tow the space shuttle, so 66k lb is nothing.

Wrong on ALL points you raised Boat on the truck is essential to towing over a rough road.; He had a RAM 6.7 Diesel as he states it was 1.3 tonnes overweight, putting the boat on the roof is not a problem. He is not going to be overweight just pulling that Caravan. Previous poster mentioned that they use Class 8 trucks to pull 5th wheelers, do they need them? Yes they do as they have realised that a very large 5th wheeler needs a substantial tow vehicle rather a HD Pickups
Your response is pretty naive " I saw a stock Toyota Tacoma tow the space shuttle" guess you do not need HD Pickups to tow 5rh Wheelers in the US when you can do it with a stock Tacoma:B

Unless Aussies massively derate pickups, a diesel dodge would be easily within ratings pulling that trailer...even if you hooked the boat on the back of it...so the only logical reason he might have been over weight is if the weight of the boat mounted on the roof put him over payload (still not sure how he could be 1.3ton overloaded unless he bought an older base 3/4 ton with minimum payload. Newer 1 ton SRW should be able to handle it payload wise but makes for a really high center of gravity.

As far as towing...if he's dragging the camper, a properly outfitted boat trailer could do do it just fine.

The tacoma comment was a joke about how silly your example is.

wrong again, the RAM 6.7 2500-3500., he did not state which model was 1.3 Tonne overweight and illegal as a tow vehicle. A Boat Trailer would be disasterous in the Australian Bush. Tacoma joke was in poor taste and showed your ignorance

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
RobertRyan wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Seems silly to insist on putting the boat on top. Much more logical would be to make the truck into a motorhome and pull the boat trailer...if you want more storage the front of the boat trailer could be outfitted with storage boxes.

Looking at the toys he has, the Dodge never had any issue pulling the toys...just putting the boat on the roof was a problem.

Also, while they might not give him a hassle on dirt roads in the outback, I suspect he will be overweight if he tries to pull 66k lbs... Of course, if it's about chest pounding, I saw a stock toyota tacoma tow the space shuttle, so 66k lb is nothing.

Wrong on ALL points you raised Boat on the truck is essential to towing over a rough road.; He had a RAM 6.7 Diesel as he states it was 1.3 tonnes overweight, putting the boat on the roof is not a problem. He is not going to be overweight just pulling that Caravan. Previous poster mentioned that they use Class 8 trucks to pull 5th wheelers, do they need them? Yes they do as they have realised that a very large 5th wheeler needs a substantial tow vehicle rather a HD Pickups
Your response is pretty naive " I saw a stock Toyota Tacoma tow the space shuttle" guess you do not need HD Pickups to tow 5rh Wheelers in the US when you can do it with a stock Tacoma:B

Unless Aussies massively derate pickups, a diesel dodge would be easily within ratings pulling that trailer...even if you hooked the boat on the back of it...so the only logical reason he might have been over weight is if the weight of the boat mounted on the roof put him over payload (still not sure how he could be 1.3ton overloaded unless he bought an older base 3/4 ton with minimum payload. Newer 1 ton SRW should be able to handle it payload wise but makes for a really high center of gravity.

As far as towing...if he's dragging the camper, a properly outfitted boat trailer could do do it just fine.

The tacoma comment was a joke about how silly your example is.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
Toyota and Honda are the best selling cars - which is a dying market in the US. Only two "cars" even in the top 10 best selling vehicles in the US........

Where is Toyota in general sales in the US? Camry was the best selling car for 13yrs despite competition from the " domestics"

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Why do your posts always end up being a "ours is better than yours" bash fest? Let's just say your trucks work for you, and they don't work for us. And our trucks work for us and they don't work for you. Take a break and chill out.

And yes, sorry, but that truck has much more "curb appeal" than the tow vehicle in the first post. "Dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks".

Point is your trucks" do not work for anyone outside NA.not just Australia. Irony is Australia is the biggest market for US Pickups outside NA and they are a tiny niche here
I am not bashing anyone but stupid comments ( Travenutz started the idiotic posts)and illustration above suggests you have a massive fear about the outside world if a story about a Trucker and his wife who are extremely happy with their Scania that replaced their not very competent RAM HD 6.7 Cummins Pickup

You know how it is with most Americans,
we are best and f the rest
Meanwhile Toyota and Honda are two best seling cars in the US Lol

If Euro trucks were sold here they would do quite well I know Volvo does.
My dream truck would be Tatra tho

https://youtu.be/RkPQoD5jV2o

Correct, that has what has happened here, prior to WW2 all our Trucks and Utes were based on British and US models. Not that case anymore. Anyway we will see what is left after this crisis is over, it will affect the US Automotive landscape one way or the other

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Why do your posts always end up being a "ours is better than yours" bash fest? Let's just say your trucks work for you, and they don't work for us. And our trucks work for us and they don't work for you. Take a break and chill out.

And yes, sorry, but that truck has much more "curb appeal" than the tow vehicle in the first post. "Dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks".

Point is your trucks" do not work for anyone outside NA.not just Australia. Irony is Australia is the biggest market for US Pickups outside NA and they are a tiny niche here
I am not bashing anyone but stupid comments ( Travenutz started the idiotic posts)and illustration above suggests you have a massive fear about the outside world if a story about a Trucker and his wife who are extremely happy with their Scania that replaced their not very competent RAM HD 6.7 Cummins Pickup

Toyota and Honda are the best selling cars - which is a dying market in the US. Only two "cars" even in the top 10 best selling vehicles in the US........
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, this one goes to the "Hide" pile too.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BTW, I actually enjoy the unique (to us) vehicles and RVs that you post. Immensely. Think it's cool and I would endeavor to have an overland rig that was super capable and virtually indestructible.

But I want to throw up a little when I see you post because your incessant negativity towards anything not Australasian is sickening.
Make me think all Aussies are like you, which is a disservice to Australians everywhere...
Good thing you're the only Aussie on this forum, because if the other Aussies seen you embarrassing their nationality so blatantly, they'd find you and beat your ___.

Hahaha
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
RobertRyan wrote:

I am not bashing anyone but stupid comments and illustration above suggests you have a massive fear about the outside world if a story about a Trucker and his wife who are extremely happy with their Scania that replaced their not very competent RAM HD 6.7 Cummins Pickup

News flash buddy, Austraila overall barely qualifies as a "tiny niche" in the global automobile market.
North America qualifies as it's own market whereas over 20% of the new vehicles per year are sold in NA, yet NA has about 4% of the worlds population. Guess why big vehicles are popular here? Because we have the money to buy them and the room to drive them.
Of course their not popular in Europe and China where you have to go outside to change your mind if you're in the city. Nevermind trying to drive a 1 ton truck down a street. He!!, there's more cars in the US than China and AUstrailia put together. But Aus is jsut a pimple on China's @ss for population.

Not sure what you're getting at in every single post, but literally North America rules the automobile industry on a per capita basis by such a large margin, it's not even funny.
Leave the mega buck Scania mobile shorelander garbage truck RV out of the picture. In general, the rest of the world can't afford the vehicles that pass as just milqetoast in the US and Canada. Why do you think cheap chit box Hyundais and whatever the European and Russian versions are rule the roost everywhere else? It's because we're drinking Champagne to your rain barrel water.

I finally figured it out. RR was dumped by an American chick, like 40 years ago, driving a big V8 American truck before his skin and his ____ was shriveled up and now is so jealous of the US that his only recourse is to pee on American vehicles for some odd reason.....

What do I win? LOL

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
RobertRyan wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
And those trucks will never sell on appearance, they are some really ugly trucks. They may be functional, but wow, are they ugly.

And yes there is a very niche market in Australia that has no viability here. There isn't the need, or desire, for those kinds of trucks in the US. Australia probably has more dirt/gravel roads than paved highway, in the US, not so much.

They don't appeal to me in the least, but I guess they do the job "down under". They may be a better choice, in that particular market.

Your " trucks" Pickups and HDT/ MDT's fail here, and globally. so these do the job yours cannot here. As far as the Europeans they are slowly swallowing up the US Auto Industry with FCA becoming more European with the merger with PSA. Volkswagen Corporation is buying Navistar, Ford is probably going to go bankrupt with massive bad debts and the current junk bond status. Of the Big 3 Toyota is now close to Ford
Old Saying People in Glass houses should not throw stones
Well Ugly..this is far from attractive

And it cost about 0.07% what that monster overlander Shorlauncher boat carrier costs, so there's that.

I vote RR for Troll of the Year again.....3 years running!

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Fixed it for ya.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"