cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keystone Slidewall Structual damage issue

jenjen77
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a brand new 2016 Keystone Bullet 287 QBS, off of the manufacturer floor through a local dealer, in 2016. We loved the trailer and the trailer layout. We got it home and the electrical issues started. The battery hookups were on wrong, we weren't getting any power. Than about a year and a half later, our slide started acting up. We brought it back to the dealer for it be fixed and had to replace the entire slide motor. It wasn't even 2 years old. We have warranty forever and we bring it to our dealer once a year for maintenance, we had more electrical issues, but more slide issues as well. The slide stopped going in..it would go out but wouldn't go in. The dealer claimed they fixed it and they did , but a few months later it started acting up again. Which brings us to last weekend. We brought it for our annual inspection since we are getting ready to leave out of town for a month with our camper. The slide had been JUMPING everytime we put it in and out. So bad that I felt like it was just going to break. Anyways, the dealer called us back and said that the wall had a complete structural failure and was falling apart.

They tried to get a hold of keystone about it and they told us too bad, so sad, OF COURSE. I wasn't expecting them to care, but I thought maybe since we have had slide problems that is well documented by the dealer that they may think twice about at least taking a look. Well, the dealer said we had some tree marks on our roof and wanted us to claim our insurance on it, and with that they are going to replace our entire roof, along with adding wood supports on the roof. They also, want to add angles in the slidewall to "fix" the problem of the structural damage. I don't know if I feel safe or satisfied with that. Do you think that is appropriate to do in this instance?? We really are debating on trading it in for a Grand Design of some sort, we have had nothing but issues! Thanks, and so sorry for the long post.

I added pictures in the link below

https://www.flickr.com/gp/188285713@N06/19706g
31 REPLIES 31

Camper8251
Explorer
Explorer
Take a read on this.. Others with wall issues...They have a customer service number posted on this site maybe give them a call...

https://keystone-rv.pissedconsumer.com/complaints/RT-P.html?query=wall

Good luck and let us know the outcome. I feel for you and your family.. Freaking sucks!
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 DMAX
Outdoors RV 23DBS
2008 Arctic Fox 811 - SOLD
19.5 Vision Wheels with
Toyo M608z's 225/70R19.5 14 plys rated at 3970

jenjen77
Explorer
Explorer
Camper8251 wrote:
Hmmm never had anything like that done so dont know if the cost is accurate. But they had replace Luan which would probably be the slide out, and awning fabric... not sure how that plays into the main roof...

I would think at that price it most likely will not cover the work on the wall but I guess that would depend on how deep they go...

I'm not sure on the awning fabric either, I asked my husband why that would even be included sort of weird. .. and yes none of that includes the wall. The wall they are supposed to pay to fix themselves.... we will see in the end!

jenjen77
Explorer
Explorer
Camper8251 wrote:
Hmmm never had anything like that done so dont know if the cost is accurate. But they had replace Luan which would probably be the slide out, and awning fabric... not sure how that plays into the main roof...

I would think at that price it most likely will not cover the work on the wall but I guess that would depend on how deep they go...

Camper8251
Explorer
Explorer

Outdoors RV 23DBS
19.5 Vision Wheels with

jenjen77
Explorer
Explorer
Camper8251 wrote:
So if they are not claiming the roof caused it, then throw a piece of Eternabond tape on it and tell them to fix the wall....

Sounds like they are going to jack the price on the insurance claim to cover the wall repair...

that's EXACTLY what it is. They didn't even tell the insurance company about the wall.. Which I mean, I guess is ok, because they aren't going to be trying to scam the insurance for that because of water damage... but its still ..sketchy.. ugh.. here is what they are charging for that roof repair

Roof Estimate

Camper8251
Explorer
Explorer
So if they are not claiming the roof caused it, then throw a piece of Eternabond tape on it and tell them to fix the wall....

Sounds like they are going to jack the price on the insurance claim to cover the wall repair...
Outdoors RV 23DBS
19.5 Vision Wheels with

jenjen77
Explorer
Explorer
Camper8251 wrote:
That doesnt look that bad, but since you are in FL it is a little wetter there than most places..I find it hard to believe that issue caused the wall issues but I guess it would depend on the amount of water intrusion and for how long it has been going on. Do you all every get on the roof to inspect it?

The roof isn't the cause of the wall issue. The dealer wanted us to file a claim on the roof so that they could get into the wall to fix the wall with angles and wedges. The wall is never or wont be claimed on the insurance, the dealer is going to fix it themselves for no cost to us, and they are paying our deductible for us. We have our roof inspected by the dealer every year for the BS "warranty forever" program.

Camper8251
Explorer
Explorer
That doesnt look that bad, but since you are in FL it is a little wetter there than most places..I find it hard to believe that issue caused the wall issues but I guess it would depend on the amount of water intrusion and for how long it has been going on. Do you all ever get on the roof to inspect it?
Outdoors RV 23DBS
19.5 Vision Wheels with

jenjen77
Explorer
Explorer
I have the pictures.. doesn't look like much damage but not sure how deep it goes.

Roof Damage

Camper8251
Explorer
Explorer
Right on! If you sell it just disclose to buyer the issues and make sure you put it on the bill of sale and have them sign it... There are most likely few people who would purchase a project but they are out there.... You will lose your ButtI.

In any case.. Maybe pressure dealer for trade-in. But I dont think they will do you any favors. Another option is try to call the owner of the company and tell your story to them... I had a situation with my car and ended up talking to owner of the local dealership to get it resolved.. I wont be going back there but it did help to get the car completed finally.
Outdoors RV 23DBS
19.5 Vision Wheels with

jenjen77
Explorer
Explorer
Camper8251 wrote:
You may also want to call USAA and let them know your concerns. So you are on record about it.

USAA is great to work with, My rental property had a fire and the contractor Billed them this crazy amount and then when complete I went thru the house and there was 20,000 Dollars worth of things they said they were going to do and replace which they didnt, I called them out on it and worked with USAA to get their final payment adjusted. My thoughts are if people are allowed to get away with dishonesty it only effects us and causes our rates to go up across the board.

When it comes to insurance I dont want to screw around, dont normally need it but when u do its a blessing.

I can't agree more. We have nothing but great things to say about USAA. Our house flooded a few years back and they were on top of things. We had a month-long vacation planned 3 weeks after the flood and USAA told us, go on vacation and enjoy yourself the house will be there when you get back.. (easy for them to say) Anyways, they were quick and thorough! In fact, we did the same thing with USAA in regards to some things our contractor had said they were going to do and didn't do.

Anyways, yes plan on calling USAA today and at least getting those pictures. Like I told my husband, its kind of weird to call them up and tell them there is roof damage and us, as owners, haven't even seen it ourselves. Usually, my hubby is very thorough on his "inspections" and knows what he is doing, but this time he just was frustrated and said "screw it just do it and get it done" I think we both agree we are going to trade this trailer in.. I was thinking of private selling it, but I don't even know if I want it to be someone else's issues and have it be my fault.

Camper8251
Explorer
Explorer
You may also want to call USAA and let them know your concerns. So you are on record about it.

USAA is great to work with, My rental property had a fire and the contractor Billed them this crazy amount and then when complete I went thru the house and there was 20,000 Dollars worth of things they said they were going to do and replace which they didnt, I called them out on it and worked with USAA to get their final payment adjusted. My thoughts are if people are allowed to get away with dishonesty it only effects us and causes our rates to go up across the board.

When it comes to insurance I dont want to screw around, dont normally need it but when u do its a blessing.
Outdoors RV 23DBS
19.5 Vision Wheels with

jenjen77
Explorer
Explorer
Camper8251 wrote:
You should call USAA or the Dealer and get pictures of this supposed roof damage. Would be interested to see what that looks like.

Good luck!

Thanks and I agree. I honestly can't believe we haven't seen the pics yet either.. ๐Ÿ˜•

Camper8251
Explorer
Explorer
You should call USAA or the Dealer and get pictures of this supposed roof damage. Would be interested to see what that looks like.

Good luck!
Outdoors RV 23DBS
19.5 Vision Wheels with