cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need new convection/microwave

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just wondered if I need one specifically for an RV or if I can go to Lowe’s? Measurements seem good but I’m not sure if there is some other difference.
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ
10 REPLIES 10

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
DC&MC wrote:
OP here. One more question. How hard is it to change out. Not sure how to get old one out

That varies a lot on who built the RV.. On mine you remove a bunch of screws pull the plug and push it through the hole (The plug is in a cabinet next to the Microwave on mine) and it slides out. More screws and the facia comes off

Also my Dometic is really a Lucky Goldstar (LG) they even used the same model number (not the only thing that does that) .

And I will warn that I have NEVER. not once, had an LG product make me happy... Did have one almost burn down the office where I worked (I did warn 'em but do they listen) I have sold re-labeled LG products and they were **** too.. Company who's products I sold switched back to an older supplier due to too many warranty repairs (over 50%)

VCR (Zenith used to be quality now LG) VCR (remember those) never worked right and was not worth an hour's labor to fix it (panasonic worked great) And the Dometic Microwave.. I rebuilt it making 2 changes, Replaced the turntable motor with a GE part (Better built) and it's good now.. but... It was **** when new.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Should be pretty easy. Most units simply hang from a back plate mounted to the wall and the unit is secured in place by bolts from above the unit. There should be a cabinet above the unit and the screws will go through the floor of that cabinet.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would find the installation manual for your current unit. Removal should be reverse. If you do not have the manual, post make and model. Someone here may have it or find it for you.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Easy once you find the bolts. My back plate mounted ones have a long fiexible bolt from the lower front to upper back on each side plus some other screws in the back. I used some 2x4s to make a support underneath.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

DC_MC
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP here. One more question. How hard is it to change out. Not sure how to get old one out
2006 Mandalay 40E motorcoach
2017 Ram PU
2017 Harley Road King
Home base Yuma AZ

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
DC&MC wrote:
Just wondered if I need one specifically for an RV or if I can go to Lowe’s? Measurements seem good but I’m not sure if there is some other difference.

Lowe's
The only special consideration and this does not ALWAYS apply is venting. These ovens have a vent somewhere.. My old Tappin had the vent out the front grill as I recall (And trust me the As I recall is very important) my Dometic (Really an LG) vents out the top but due to the magic of some sheet metal they vented it forward out the mounting trim which I have since removed due to some issues.. Like it better with the compartment open so I've not replaced the metal faux front.

Some vent out the back or side

You need to vent if the unit is ENCLOSED to an area that is not going to be bothered by moisture.. Either the living space (Suggested for one safety reason) or outside

The safety reason.. You over cook and I mean seriously over cook if it vents to the INSIDE you will get the Red Neck Dinner Bell (Fire/smoke alarm) but outside no such joy.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
RV microwaves are like RV toilet paper. It costs more, other than that there is no difference.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get a home unit. Our latest we picked up at Lowe's. You just have to ensure that the venting (assuming it just blows inside) is the same as your last or compatible with your setup.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
All of mine have been home type. Consider outside vs inside venting. No 12V so clock needs to set after power disconnect. Mounting may require a back plate mount type.

Some don't run on MSW inverters however.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would go online to big box stores and look at sizes.
You could spend lots of dollars for an RV one, where a generic may last just as long for many dollars less.
Get a similar wattage as the one you have.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker