Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2002 Lance 811 Rebuild - Update 09.30.2020- PROJECT COMPLETE
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2002 Lance 811 Rebuild - Update 09.30.2020- PROJECT COMPLETE

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/20 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're a better man then I. Taking that apart and seeing gong show construction from the factory would end in a stroke for me for sure.
I have to admit uttering a chuckle whenever you refer to asking Lance what they use. Was that so you didn't make the same mistake??? Har har har. [emoticon]
And yeah, as a fellow Canuck mentioned PL Premium. It's the AK-47 of adhesives. As Samuel L. Jackson would say, in this situation: "If you have to glue every last MF'ing joint in a camper.....accept no substitutes!"
It be a great extra step to paint or at least prime with Bullseye 1-2-3 all the framing and plywood, before covering it. Just to add another level of water defense to the wood. But that'd probably lessen the adhesion of the PL Premium.
Again, hats off to you. Epic.

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/20 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

***UPDATE JULY 14, 2020***

Thanks for the heads up on the earlier pics, I'll check if the links need updating. Work continues on the camper and I am holding tight to my vision of sitting in this thing parked on the beach....

Replaced the old Magnetek converter with a Progressive Dynamics PD 4645 from Best Converter. Came with a new 12V fuse panel and had no issues wiring it up.

[image]

I continued tearing into the curbisde front and got the rotten framing and interior out of the way. On this side the water had gotten into the floor of the cabover so I needed to replace some plywood there.

[image]

[image]

There is a hamper and two closets on this side of the bedroom area and the damage was limited to under there. I didn't grab any pics before I added back in the plywood and styrofoam, but I think you've got the idea of my process by now.

Here's the 1/8" interior piece going in behind the closets and fridge, there was so much rot this piece wound up being 90" long, that's 7-1/2 ft.

[image]

[image]

Here's that diagonal piece again that adds a lot of support to the cabover. The framing joints are pocket screwed and PL'd and the key I think is gluing the framing to the interior panel with PL, and again to the exterior sheathing with PL to make a structural panel

[image]

Here's the framing all done and ready for insulation. That opening closest in the pic is the fridge vent.

[image]

Here's the propane compartment directly under the fridge and this is next. The framing runs continuous toward the rear under the slide so the next section will be addressed all together.

[image]

Lance had the fiberglas overlapped here at the front slide corner. The right piece was attached to the sidewall and the left piece ran under the slide opening. Before the framing rotted, those should have been even, now you can see the slide sags down about 1-1/2".

[image]

I had to bite the bullet and remove the slide, there was no way to repair this properly with that in the way. Taking off the inside trim and unbolting it from the mechanism enables it to slide right out. We got it onto sawhorses then down onto so 2x4s so we could slide it out of the way. Put a tarp over it to keep it dry.

[image]

The floor under the slide didn't look bad...

[image]

...but I had to remove the mechanism to get the weight off of it. That wallpaper or whatever they finish those interior panels with was the only thing holding that floor together. It was amazing how little there was left...

[image]

[image]

[image]

That's now what I'm into is rebuilding that floor under the slide. the slide itself is in great shape, so once the floor is done it can go back together....AFTER we get the new fridge in!!

Here's the new fridge in the garage next to the old one.

[image]

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel

Under renovations:
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
Follow the Renovation here!

SOLD:
2001 K2500 Suburban LT 8.1L/4.10
2002 Sunnybrook 34' Bunkhouse (in pic)
2008 Terry 34' TT many mods, Hensley Hitch

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the pictures! Looks like you are on track - great work!

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/20 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great work, almost makes me wanta take the S&S back apart this year.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just as a caution , white Styrofoam is open cell and will absorb and hold water for a long time . Hate to see you go through that much work to have it happen again . Pink or blue or urethane are closed cell foams .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Mote

Hoosier State

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, Nice work sir. That thing was almost to the point of no return. You are going to really enjoy that camper once it's finished.

2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent job. I hope I never have to tear into mine to that extent, but I do have a small area at the bottom of the entry door opening I need to fix. That will be a winter project.

Could you show me your pocket hole jig please? I need to buy one and your seems to be doing a good job. The handful I had to make on mine when I replaced the skirts were done freehand.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/20 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

Could you show me your pocket hole jig please?

I'm using the basic Kreg jig. It's adjustable for different thicknesses of wood and you can get the square-drive truss head screws at the home center.

Regular 1x lumber (3/4" thick) takes a 1 1/4" screw, 5/4 (1" thick) takes a 1 1/2" screw, and 2x (1 1/2" thick) takes a 2 1/2" screw. I'm already 250+ screws into this...

The pocket screws are only clamping the wood until the adhesive dries. The real star of the show has been the PL Max adhesive.

Click on pic for link:

[image]

[image]

mote wrote:

That thing was almost to the point of no return. You are going to really enjoy that camper once it's finished.

I knew it was going to need work, but I told my wife if I knew it was this bad I may not have taken it. All in all it's been fun, just taking longer than I would have liked.

We will have about $4k into this when it's done, but we'll have a totally rebuilt camper with new electronics, new fridge, new fiberglas exterior and the interior just the way we like it (NO carpet...) I see '02 811's just like ours for sale for $11-12k, so if we decide we don't like truck camping we can sell it and get our money out of it.

* This post was edited 07/15/20 11:27am by BurbMan *

Mote

Hoosier State

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

NRALIFR wrote:

Could you show me your pocket hole jig please?

I'm using the basic Kreg jig. It's adjustable for different thicknesses of wood and you can get the square-drive truss head screws at the home center.

Regular 1x lumber (3/4" thick) takes a 1 1/4" screw, 5/4 (1" thick) takes a 1 1/2" screw, and 2x (1 1/2" thick) takes a 2 1/2" screw. I'm already 250+ screws into this...

The pocket screws are only clamping the wood until the adhesive dries. The real star of the show has been the PL Max adhesive.

Click on pic for link:

[image]

[image]

mote wrote:

That thing was almost to the point of no return. You are going to really enjoy that camper once it's finished.

I knew it was going to need work, but I told my wife if I knew it was this bad I may not have taken it. All in all it's been fun, just taking longer than I would have liked.

We will have about $4k into this when it's done, but we'll have a totally rebuilt camper with new electronics, new fridge, new fiberglas exterior and the interior just the way we like it (NO carpet...) I see '02 811's just like ours for sale for $11-12k, so if we decide we don't like truck camping we can sell it and get our money out of it.

We used the same jig and 1x2 poplar to rebuild the front end of ours three years ago. I was able to reuse some of the aluminum siding on the sides. Bought new for the front since we took the window out.
The only thing I wish we had now was a larger grey water tank. 15 gallons does not go to far.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks BurbMan!

[emoticon][emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2002 Lance 811 Rebuild - Update 09.30.2020- PROJECT COMPLETE
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.