cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

If you have a Diesel HD truck - Code reader

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm looking for a code reader that reads diesel codes. If you have a diesel truck and a code reader that works; and you like it; how about letting us know which one it is.

If you do not have direct knowledge on one that works on diesel pickups please don't tell us about ones that work on your gasser. I followed leads on another thread where folks claimed that theirs worked on all vehicles and when I tried to confirm that I never found positive evidence that they do. Diesels have manufacturer specific codes that don't appear on gasser vehicles.

I'm not going to spend $400 or $500 for one would like to find one priced more reasonably.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
18 REPLIES 18

northshore
Explorer
Explorer
This;

"The common $20 reader works with my 02 diesel and the free torque app. "

Torq and the common reader off amazon works perfect on my '06 f 350 but will NOT work at all on my '99 f 250.

mapguy
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
just download FORScan to your laptop and buy a dual bus adapter from amazon for 20 bucks and you can do so much more than a code reader will do.

Steve

Forscan is good for Ford /mazda with the right apapter and a laptop.

A decent lower cost bidirectional scan tool can be found from VXDiag. IF you are windows computer savvy -this is the cheapest full feature route.

http://www.vxdiagshop.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy_-mg_Sm6QIVAz6tBh2wBgBiEAAYASAAEgK79vD_BwE

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
just download FORScan to your laptop and buy a dual bus adapter from amazon for 20 bucks and you can do so much more than a code reader will do.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
This was one of the FAQ's for the Autel 619 on Amazon:

Q: Will it read 98 dodge 2500 ram with Cummins diesel?
A: NO, the Cummins, Duramax, and Powerstroke all use ATA code sets Not OBDII, the plug in looks the same but is not the same software, It WILL read the ABS and SRS codes on your Dodge though

True? False?

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everyone I ordered the Autel 619
Superbumper

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
The Autel AP200 can do a bunch more stuff than your typical Bluetooth scanner such as regen initiation, live data, scanning GM specific modules etc. I bought it to program keyfob remotes for my older Chevy Malibu, saved money right there, then moved it to my truck and was pleasantly surprised by how much functionality it had on the diesel.
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
If the engine is used in other non-MH (pickup trucks) applications most good code scanner will work. NOT true for most diesel pushers.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Edge Insight CTS2. It works primarily as an engine monitor, but will read codes and clear them too.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
I like the ScanGauge II because you can add custom parameters to it and the cost is reasonable for a standalone device. Many people are going with an OBDII dongle and smart phone with software to monitor their vehicles which is another option. Did you see this thread?

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30074765.cfm

Thanks but look at the first reply on that thread. I checked a number of the readers mentioned and none claim to read diesel specific codes. At least the ones I checked before giving up.

it does. I had one on my 2004.5 duramax and have one on my 2015 duramax. It will read all codes that trigger are stored or pending. Basically any code reader will read codes that are stored. It gave me the code that indicated my grid heater was not working, a quick trip to the dealer and a new grid heater under warranty.

Depending on vehicle it can do other things. On GM it will read balance rates, boost, EGT, soot level, distance since regen, and a bunch more.

Now if what you are looking for is something that gives live data and will do what factory service systems do, that's another story. These systems will do more than read codes, it will check virtually ALL car systems. Foxwell scanners do that. I have one for my duramax and one for my acura. they will let you do things like lock/unlocks doors, run AC etc. etc.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Camper8251
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm interesting. I used the one mentioned on my diesel and it seems to work, I dont have DEF and have not had Glow Plug issues. But It did tell me my MAF sensor and EGR were bad.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 DMAX
Outdoors RV 23DBS
2008 Arctic Fox 811 - SOLD
19.5 Vision Wheels with
Toyo M608z's 225/70R19.5 14 plys rated at 3970

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camper8251 wrote:
Curious as to what codes are specific?

I have one of these and it {seems} to work? Or am I missing something?

Maybe none, I think that brand may do CAN2. The codes that could be missing are ones for example: DEF or Glow Plugs which gas vehicles do not have. I looked at this several years ago and the only ones that read diesel codes at that time were $300 or so plus you had to buy a code pack for your truck. I think some of them came with one code pack. That has obviously changed.
Superbumper

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
A code reader reads codes. Doesn't matter if gas or diesel. I use an Auto Link AL319 for all my vehicles.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Camper8251
Explorer
Explorer
Curious as to what codes are specific?

I have one of these and it {seems} to work? Or am I missing something?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007XE8C74?pd_rd_i=B007XE8C74&pd_rd_w=Jv28v&pf_rd_p=a5a2473c-04e3-4528-a4d...
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 DMAX
Outdoors RV 23DBS
2008 Arctic Fox 811 - SOLD
19.5 Vision Wheels with
Toyo M608z's 225/70R19.5 14 plys rated at 3970

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bedlam wrote:
I like the ScanGauge II because you can add custom parameters to it and the cost is reasonable for a standalone device. Many people are going with an OBDII dongle and smart phone with software to monitor their vehicles which is another option. Did you see this thread?

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/30074765.cfm

Thanks but look at the first reply on that thread. I checked a number of the readers mentioned and none claim to read diesel specific codes. At least the ones I checked before giving up.
Superbumper