cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I 95 in Jax, FL and in Richmond, VA

Richert
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering we are traveling northbound on I95, Is it better to take the loops around these two cities or just go straight thru on I95? If loop please help me out. thanks
Blake
2019 Sunseeker
2012 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Wife in passenger seat.
9 REPLIES 9

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
Up&DownDeCoast wrote:
Always go straight through both cities. Never had a problem with traffic. Bypasses are much longer. Neither are really big cities. Cutting straight through really doesn't take that long.

I like to go straight thru Richmond,even in Traffice it's only for 15 minutes and not a problem
Jacksonville take the East side bypass..not as long or crowded as the westside...I don't think I ever went straight thru...C
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

Up_DownDeCoast
Explorer
Explorer
Always go straight through both cities. Never had a problem with traffic. Bypasses are much longer. Neither are really big cities. Cutting straight through really doesn't take that long.
David and Wendy
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2021 Honda CR-V
Demco KarKaddy SS Tow Dolly

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I take I-295 around Richmond, regardless of time of day.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just drove from Augusta, GA, to Baltimore, MD, on Tuesday - hitting I-95 at Florence, SC, where I-20 joins it. My wife used to live in the Richmond area and it just depends on traffic whether or not to use the loop. Tuesday, with lighter traffic due to the pandemic, there would have been a two-minute difference between 295 and I-95 going straight through downtown Richmond.

I know you didn't ask, but in DC, we always take 495 around the NW side of the city and do the same with 995 in Baltimore.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

It all depends on my timing.... Usually I go around Richmond unless it is after 7Pm, then I go directly up or down 95..

As far as Jacksonville goes, we usually stop just north of the city ( Pelecan Park ) for the night when going south.. We will hit the road early the next day and go directly through the city with no issues...

When going the other way, it's also all about the timing .. .. ..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
I go around Richmond and through Jacksonville going to Florida & back the last 6 years. Iโ€™m in a Class B van, so itโ€™s not that difficult either way. Thereโ€™s usually not much traffic on the Richmond bypass, so I make good time. Jacksonville is a closer call, and Iโ€™ve gone both ways. There seemed to be a lot of beach traffic on the eastern bypass when I took it, so I decided to go through in later years. Thereโ€™s been quite a bit of construction on that route, but it is getting better. In a larger vehicle! I might opt for the bypass on both.

On my i-phone, Siri also opts to go around Richmond and through Jacksonville.
2013 RT 190-Popular

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
And thru Richmond, if you are not going through on a weekend, take the 295 bypass.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Don't know about Richmond but in Jax take the loop.

X2.
If you need supplies, there's a mall that has just about everything you might need at the exit for the Airport just north of the I-95/I-295 interchange, north of the city. River City Marketplace.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know about Richmond but in Jax take the loop.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper